Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#372410 - 04/04/10 03:50 PM Local wages
Peter Jones Offline
I was talking to a friend, a gringo, recently. He introduced me to a local he knows, pleasant young (late 20's) chap, who works for a SP woodworking firm as a carpenter. He apparently earns Bz$190 for a full 6 day week. Anyone else think that's a bit low?

#372414 - 04/04/10 04:22 PM Re: Local wages [Re: Peter Jones]
Dane Offline
Alien?

#372415 - 04/04/10 04:26 PM Re: Local wages [Re: Peter Jones]
ron Offline
Yes, everyone I've used on CC has charged me more than that.

#372421 - 04/04/10 05:15 PM Re: Local wages [Re: ron]
Uncle Buck Offline
Yes, the majority of laborers that cook your food, clean your rooms, and to the other majority of services in San Pedro and Belize are severely under paid. A girlfriend of mine cooks at Fidos and takes home $160bz per week for around 35 hours of work. They work her right below that 40 hour per week mark, so they don't have to offer fulltime employee benefits....so clever

Can anyone imagine living in San Pedro on $80usd a week?

I want to do a reality show where we get a rich business owner to try and live a month on what he pays his employees in San Pedro.

Belize desperately needs a functioning workers union, and the minimum wage needs to be doubled.

#372434 - 04/04/10 07:31 PM Re: Local wages [Re: Uncle Buck]
klcman Offline
Originally Posted By: Uncle Buck
I want to do a reality show where we get a rich business owner to try and live a month on what he pays his employees in San Pedro...........

CBS network has it, Uncle Buck. Undercover Boss, produced by Studio Lambert http://www.studiolambert.com/

Go get 'em!

Edited by klcman (04/04/10 07:31 PM)

#372435 - 04/04/10 07:33 PM Re: Local wages [Re: Uncle Buck]
SP Daily Offline
Yes, the majority of laborers that cook your food, clean your rooms, and to the other majority of services in San Pedro and Belize are severely under paid. A girlfriend of mine cooks at Fidos and takes home $160bz per week for around 35 hours of work. They work her right below that 40 hour per week mark, so they don't have to offer fulltime employee benefits....so clever

Can anyone imagine living in San Pedro on $80usd a week?

I want to do a reality show where we get a rich business owner to try and live a month on what he pays his employees in San Pedro.

Belize desperately needs a functioning workers union, and the minimum wage needs to be doubled.

Then you can bitch and complain when all the prices rise to cover the higher wages

#372437 - 04/04/10 07:45 PM Re: Local wages [Re: SP Daily]
Uncle Buck Offline
Yeah, paying people $2usd per hour to live and work in San Pedro is totally legit.

I've never seen proof that raising the minimum wage increases costs of goods and services, always considered it a myth.

CEO's and business owners are making millions and that's ok, but a living wage for the workers is totally uncalled for because bananas might go up 5 cents a pound. Yikes!

#372439 - 04/04/10 08:23 PM Re: Local wages [Re: Uncle Buck]
bywarren Offline
Sounds like Jesse is worried his drinks might cost him more. smile

#372443 - 04/04/10 10:18 PM Re: Local wages [Re: bywarren]
Ernie B Offline
Jesse drinks ?I suppose Ive never seen him sober.

#372445 - 04/04/10 10:36 PM Re: Local wages [Re: Uncle Buck]
JZB Offline
A girlfriend of mine cooks at Fidos and takes home $160bz per week for around 35 hours of work. They work her right below that 40 hour per week mark, so they don't have to offer fulltime employee benefits....so clever

What are the employee benefits for someone who works 45 hours per week compared to 35?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (2 invisible), 64 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,672 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,039 Topics
462,246 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.