Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 49 1 2 3 4 48 49
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

FISHING REPORT

Week of: June 27th - July 4th, 2010

Weather Conditions: Tropical Storm Alex came through early in the week, followed by partly cloudy skies clearing more as the week went on.

Winds: Alex held 50-60 mph winds , a day of light winds , then it kicked up over 20 mph from the NE which gradually wound down to 5 mph by the end of the week.

Air Temperature: Low 90's

Water Temperature: Low 80's

Moonphase: The week ended on the last quarter

WHAT GUESTS WERE CATCHING:

BONES: Large schools of small bonefish and a few bigger fish were landed, the biggest of the week around 5 lbs.

PERMIT: One nice 15 pounder landed on spin ( go Brandon!). Several follows on fly�a couple hook-ups and the 3, 3-8 pound permit on the 4th when the winds finally laid down.

TARPON: Two fish to the boat a few more were jumped thanks to Jay just after storm Alex. The tarpon were shut down for a couple of days of the big winds with just a couple fish hooked. July 4th' s favorable winds sparked a great tarpon day with 5 boats landing tarpon, most between 60 and 80 pounds.

SNOOK:�A few shots but nothing made it to the boat.

OTHER: Jacks of all sizes were reported, Lots of Barracuda with some 15-25 pounders landed on spin gear/

FLIES THAT WORKED

FOR BONES - Crazie Charlies in pink, size 6. Christmas Island Specials size 6. Weed guards are nice on the grass flats in front of the lodge!

FOR TARPON - Chartreuse Toads

FOR PERMIT - The guides love Christmas Island Specials size 4 stripped fast!!

This Week's Summary
Congratulations to Charles R. who ended the week with a grand slam!!! Although it was a tough week with Alex and then that nasty NE wind, our Franks group from Illinois kept their spirits high with bonefish, barracuda, snappers and jacks despite the tough fishing. Their tarpon patience paid off as the weather improved with every boat coming back with stories and pictures. It was nice to have several family trips this week with some youngsters (and oldsters) experiencing their first bonefish on the fly. Return Guest Jay kept tarpon hopes alive with some Savannah Flats tarpon action.

Ed - [email protected].

Fishing photo of the week:

El Pescador guest Brandon's first permit

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

FISHING REPORT

Week of: July 12th - July 18th, 2010

Weather Conditions: Tropical waves continued to pass through our area creating interesting weather conditions. Each day would have a variety of weather. Bright sun for a while, then a quick shower, more bight sun, more showers with some heavy rain at times. Lots of Rainbows were on the horizon.

Winds: In general winds were about 5 mph unless you found yourself in one of the isolated squalls that came through. These short periods had some heavy winds while the rain storm passed by but was followed by dead calm at times.

Air Temperature: High 80's

Water Temperature: Low 80's

Moonphase: The week ended on the quarter moon.

BONES: Everyone was catching bonefish! The biggest of the week was around 4 pounds caught by Jenn Parker

PERMIT: Several boats landed permit in the 4-8 pound range, with one 20 pound fish early in the week.

TARPON: Tarpon made a comeback, although landing one seemed to be a tough task with most fish receiving an early release. The sizes ranged from 20- 100 pounds.

SNOOK:�No snook were reported.

OTHER: Jacks, barracudas, snappers were all caught as a few days were devoted to these alternative but fun species.

FLIES THAT WORKED

FOR BONES - Christmas Island Specials size 6, Spawning shrimp size 6

FOR TARPON - Chartreuse or Purple Toads, Back Death, Deceivers

FOR PERMIT - Christmas Island Specials size 6, 4, Spawning shrimp size 6

This Week's Summary
Congratulations to both Jesse & Courtney G. and Rich and Elizabeth S. These two couples chose to spend the honeymoon with us. Courtney and Jesse tag-teamed a 100-pound tarpon to the boat for the biggest fish this month so far. Rich was shooting for a honeymoon slam (a new category the couples invented where you have the whole honeymoon to land the 3 species). It was a pleasure to share the first married days with both couples.

The bone fishing was so consistent that a couple guests on their first flats adventure caught enough bonefish to satisfy them and they decided to searching for permit and tarpon. A few of them hooked tarpon, but none came to the boat. Permit seemed to be more fickle this week with only a few fish to the boat. Some large schools of permit were found, but not many were fooled this week. One exception was a 20 pound permit landed by Andy C, the rest of his day was searching for a willing tarpon to complete the slam� he got an 80 pounder to eat but lost it after the second jump� so close!.

Ed - [email protected].

El Pescador guest Paul, and Tarpon!

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

FISHING REPORT

Week of: July 31st to August 7th, 2010

Weather Conditions: Sunny with some cloudy spells. A few showers and thunderstroms throughout the week.

Winds: The prevailing winds this week were ENE 10 mph with gusts 5-15 knots. We had the wind move around to the west when storms blew in, but returned to the east.

Air Temperature: High 80's, low high 70's.

Water Temperature: High 70's, low 80's, depends on sun.

Moonphase: Last quarter on the 3rd.

BONES: The bonefish are in big schools, and we are seeing fish in the 4-6lb class more frequently! Guests fishing both fly and spin have all caught bonefish this week. When Cale was going for his "slam" with Sinoe, his bonefish was caught with the motor still running! Evan has been on vacation from his life as an ER Doc and father of 3..... he caught his first bonefish on fly and had several shots at permit. Not bad Evan! We expect to see the kids down here soon fishing from the dock. A special treat when landing here at El Pescador, you are greeted with Mr. Bonefish. Somehow, they know everyone leaves from the dock, and they are safe there! The race still goes on with the guides for the most bonefish tagged this year. Our goal is to tag 2000 fish by the end of 2010. We are about half way there!

PERMIT: Possessed. That is one way to describe the feeling about permit here at the lodge this week. Actually, we argue about what fish is more addicting, the permit or the tarpon. If you landed your first permit, like Pierre this week, you would say a permit. If you are Ian, co-owner of Yellow Dog, you say, tarpon. That's my observation anyway. And then looking into Dave's eyes last night at the bar as he was telling me about wading out at Ali's Bonefish Island. He hooked two permit, and landed number 3! First permit experience, not bad! And I have to brag about my fishing buddy, Wil. Wil landed a 30lb permit wading up to his neck, stripping with the rod and reel underwater! The fish didn't move at first, and then he saw his 150 yd marked backing fly out through the guides! Yep.

TARPON: Thank goodness for digital cameras. Even if you don't land the fish, you can return to the lodge at the end of the day, and look over all the pictures. And even if you didn't get the fish to the boat, you can look with giant satisfaction at an image that happened not too long ago. And there is NOTHING like a tarpon jumping from the end of your rod. I guess you can tell I'm biased, but the connection with a creature that is more than 50 million years old on the end of your line is exhilarating. Jim from Yellow Dog jumped an 80 pounder this week, and Cale started his birthday landing his tarpon which later led to his grand slam. Tarpon landed on both fly and spin. Most of the fish hooked and caught this week were down by Long Cay - were the migratory tarpon are hanging out.

SNOOK:�Eric, who owns The Sunrise Fly Shop in downtown Melrose, landed a nice snook out on Ali's bonefish island! He said Mr. Snook was hanging out under the mangroves. A cast and a couple of strips and the fish was on!

JACKS: Schools of jacks on the flats up to 20 lbs. They just don't get the glory, but reports of jacks landed on fly and spin this week.

FLIES THAT WORKED

FOR BONES - Christmas Island Specials size 8 and 6, Charlies and Gotchas. Tan, gold, sexy patterns. Sexy patterns are flies that move so great in the water you just to have it!

FOR TARPON - Green Toads dominated this week. Grizzly Cockroach as well. 3/0.

FOR PERMIT - Orange and pink Christmas Island Specials size 4 stripped fast. Also some gray crabs, size 4 - it's all about the materials. Also, we strip a lot of flies for permit. It is the way the San Pedro guides do it, and it works! Shrimp patterns, size 4.

This Week's Summary
How does it happen? Cale, who is Mr. Wonderful and a class act as a trout guide in Montana, shows up to get married this week. He is marrying Michele, who is beautiful and a ton of fun. Actually, they decided to get married here at El Pescador their last trip here. Cale hooked the tarpon, and Michele landed it. At that point she looked up to Cale and said, "OK, let's get married!" And that is the story. But it goes on. Cale and Michele are getting married today. Cale also had his 32nd birthday this week and caught his second GRAND SLAM with Sinoe. Isn't that incredible? The entire wedding party has been fishing, diving, snorkeling, shopping and hanging out in the pools, having a blast. There is no doubt there will be a sea of love welcoming their marriage.

Lori-Ann - [email protected].

Cale V. who was married at El Pescador last week - with his Groom's Grand Slam

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

FISHING REPORT

Week of: August 7 to August 14, 2010

Weather Conditions: Sunny or partly cloudy with isolated showers or thunderstorms, seas choppy.

Winds: East 5-15 Knots. The wind moved all around this week, but always returned to the east by the end of the day.

Air Temperature: Mid 90's, low 80's.

Water Temperature: High 70's, low 80's, depends on sun. A lot of fresh water from rain.

Moonphase: New moon on the 10th.

BONES: Lots of nice bones in the 3 to 6 lb range landed this week! The Robinson Family all were awarded bonefish pins - their first time fishing saltwater flats. Eric was here for his first round fishing the flats with his flyrod. Just remember Eric, Mr. Bonefish is the heart and soul of flats fly fishing. Mr. Permit and Mr. Tarpon are wonderful in other ways, but it all starts with "the silver ghost."

PERMIT: Still possessed with permit around here! Brad and Terri here for a fun vacation and Brad was hoping to make this fishing report! Done on the first day. Brad and Kachu found permit, Brad - first cast, three strips, and there he is, Mr. Permit! What? Terri loving pool side and is now our new entertainment director for future visits! Spencer landed a permit on spin the first day out with his buddy Sean. I schooled these guys on how lucky they are. People spend years trying to land a permit! We are just lucky here at El Pescador, the permit fishing rocks. (And oh yeah, I Ianded a permit this week too! )

TARPON: Andrew landed a tarpon, about a 50 pounder I think he said. The smile never left his face after that. Sean shows his buddy Spencer by landing a tarpon on spin. Lots of tarpon hooked on fly, but not landed due to angler error. Ouch! But it is the bite that is so great, so we try to talk ourselves into that bit of glory. I know because I'm snake bit right now, but you will hear all about it when I get one to the boat, and it is going to be soon!

SNOOK:�Stayed safe this week.

JACKS: Schools of jacks on the flats up to 20 lbs. They just don't get the glory, but reports of jacks landed on fly and spin this week.

FLIES THAT WORKED

FOR BONES - Christmas Island Specials size 8 and 6, Charlies and Gotchas. Tan, gold, sexy patterns. Sexy patterns are flies that move so great in the water you just to have it!

FOR TARPON - 3/0 yellow toads, green Toads, black death cockroach, and look out with purple!

FOR PERMIT - Orange and pink Christmas Island Specials size 4 stripped fast. Also some gray crabs, size 4 - it's all about the materials. Also, we strip a lot of flies for permit. It is the way the San Pedro guides do it, and it works! Shrimp patterns, size 4.

This Week's Summary
It's August and it is hot. The easterly winds are keeping us comfortable, and the fish are in, so a lot of dreams are coming true out on the flats. If you can handle hot days, the fishing here in August is incredible. It really feels like summer; the pools are full of families laughing and lounging. The stories at night linger in the humid air, and the new moon made for fish that wanted to eat! I'm not sure if we are supporting addictive behavior or providing a place to hear yourself, but I do know when anglers are fishing, they are not thinking about anything else! Amen.

El Pescador guide Emir with guest Adam's permit

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

FISHING REPORT

Week of: August 21 - 28, 2010

Weather Conditions: Sunny skies with a few cloudy spells. Short thunderstorms in areas throughout the week�.some people got drenched, some stayed perfectly dry! Seas choppy, except the 25th - which was flat calm and perfect.

Winds: East 10 -20 Knots. Gusty days when thunderstorms were blowing in. Moved to SE then back to prevailing E.

Air Temperature: Low 90's, low 80's.

Water Temperature: High 70's, low 80's, depends on sun.

Moonphase: Full moon on the 24th.

BONES: The bonefish in front of the lodge all around our dock are driving us all nuts! These 4 - 6 lb fish have been loving the incoming tide this week on the turtle grass. But the lodge fish are super smart. Few are landed, and that is the challenge. For fish on the flats: If bonefish were targeted, they were landed. Beginners started fishing muds - where you really don't get the see the fish - it is more about casting to where they are feeding. As the game progresses, the guide moves you to sighted fish - presenting the fly right on them if they are tailing, or ten feet in front of them if they are on the move.

PERMIT: These are just beautiful fish. We have noticed they really like to eat right before or on the full moon. So we had some beautiful permit landed this week up in the Park and also down by Congrejo. Nice fish up to 30 lbs. Ray got his permit for his grand slam stripping a Merkin. One happy guy!

TARPON: Windy days kept many anglers from sighted tarpon fishing. For those that didn't mind the bumpy ride down to Long Caye, they found rolling tarpon. Some hooked with intermediate lines. The only one landed was from Captain Sinoe's boat. That's all it took for Ray to complete his grand slam!

SNOOK:�Stayed safe this week.

JACKS: Two pins for our awards ceremonies I wish we had this week. A "Jack" pin and a "Cuda" pin. Jim finally landed a nice jack his last day out fishing. He and his now fish crazed wife Donna had been tarpon fishing for days, so he was hoping it would be the silver king. Not this time, but wasn't that fun?

FLIES THAT WORKED

FOR TARPON - 3/0 yellow toads, green Toads, Black Death cockroach, and look out with purple!

FOR PERMIT - Orange and pink Christmas Island Specials size 4 stripped fast. Also some gray crabs, size 4 - it's all about the materials. Also, we strip a lot of flies for permit. It is the way the San Pedro guides do it, and it works! Shrimp patterns, size 4. Worm patterns on size 6 - tan rabbit strips.

This Week's Summary
This was one of those weeks I just love my job. I count my blessings all the time, believe me, but this week just kept a big grin on my face! Donna and Jim are celebrating their 31st wedding anniversary, and they ran around here like teenagers. They grew to love their guide Cesar, and then found it necessary to extend their stay here for three more days. We started calling Donna, "Cuda Queen", because she landed so many barracuda. In one picture the cuda is bigger than Donna! You go girl. And then Natalie and George here for their sixth wedding anniversary and they landed their first bonefish. But the star of the show this week was Ray. He and Ty were here from the Florida Keys and they wanted a grand slam. Well, Ray got his wish. He has been fly fishing since he was 10. Now retired, Ray "got a dream." This is what Antonio, our bartender here at EP, was telling us when he and I were out fishing with Captain Emir. Antonio was telling me and Emir that his Uncle always says, "Give me a dream," and just as he is telling us this, a 3 lb bonefish eats his fly by Deer Caye! Yep. This was Antonio's very first bonefish on fly. Elated. Emir and I just looked at him and said, "You are lucky! Enjoy it."

El Pescador guest Ray with his Grand Slam

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

FISHING REPORT

Week of: September 20th - October 3rd, 2010

Weather Conditions: Week started with partly cloudy skies, ending with several perfectly clear days.

Winds: Winds were 0-15 miles mph through out the week generally from the north-northwest.

Air Temperature: Mid to high 80's

Water Temperature: Low -mid 80's.

Moonphase: The week started on the last quarter moon.

BONEFISH: Bonefish were no problem for any anglers this week with boats reporting 3-20 bonefish per day. Those 20 fish days could have been a lot more as those guests only fished for bones for a few hours. Largest was 4 pounds.

PERMIT: Return Guest Tom from Jackson WY and his guide Emir targeted permit most of the week landing 5 the first day with a two more single days after that. Other boats reported several shots, follows and takes but none to the boat.

TARPON: Tarpon seemed slow as 2 boats went out for tarpon without any takes. Marc did manage to hook up his first tarpon estimated to be 30 pounds, it didn't last long and left him shaking his head in amazement at how fast it all happened. Bill came through on the last day with 2 tarpon one at about 40 pounds. It ended up going under the boat and breaking his rod before he landed it.

SNOOK:�No snook were targeted or caught.

OTHER: Lots of Jacks of all sizes were caught with a nice 20 pounder landed and released. Many nice after hours bonefish and Lady fish were landed while fishing the beaches near the lodge, barracuda, snappers, moonfish were all landed on the fly.

FLIES THAT WORKED

FOR BONES - Crazy Charlies in pink, tan size 6,8 . Gothca size 6,8, Christmas Islands size 6 Really just about any fly seemed to work.

FOR TARPON - Blue/White Deciever, Orange cockroach size 2/0

FOR PERMIT - Christmas Island Special size 6, Emir's Pink CI size 6

This Week's Summary
The fishing was fantastic for bonefish with pretty much unlimited numbers to those who concentrated on them. Permit fishing was good one day, bad the next even though weather and tides seemed the same. Tarpon continued to be shy of the fly till the end of the week. There seems to be a huge amount of bait around so perhaps they are just full??

Ed - [email protected].

El Pescador guest Tom with his Permit

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

FISHING REPORT

Week of: October 3rd - October 10th, 2010

Weather Conditions: 2 days of partly cloudy skies, 2 days of mostly sunny skies, 2 days of all sun, ending with an overcast day.

Winds: Winds were 5-15 miles mph through out the week generally from the north-northwest.

Air Temperature: Low to mid 80's

Water Temperature: Low 80's.

Moonphase: October 7th was the new moon.

BONEFISH: How about 53 bonefish in one day by one boat? Bonefish were automatic for anyone who tried. Largest was 6 pounds. Several 4 pounders were landed after guided hours walking the beaches in the evening.

PERMIT: Steve's quest for permit amounted to most of the week's permit total with 2 the first day and 1 the second day! Jason added another for a total of 3 this week, not bad considering only Steve was targeting permit specifically.

TARPON: Tarpon were hot 2 days this week with 4 boats going 8 for 22 (eight landed out of 22 that ate). Sight fishing was good for several days, but shut down once the clouds arrived on the 10th.

SNOOK:��When the tarpon day was a bust due to low visibility one boat went looking for snook and was rewarded with a nice 10 pounder. Way to go Dick!

OTHER: Jacks, Ladyfish, and mega barracudas were landed this week. A few snappers came to the dinner table.

FLIES THAT WORKED

FOR BONES - Crazy Charlies in pink, tan size 6,8 . Gothca size 6,8, Christmas Islands size 6 Really, any fly seemed to work.

FOR TARPON - Tarpon bunny in tan size 1/0, cockroach size 2/0, Orange butt 1/0, black death 2/0, greenie weenie 2/0, orange cockroach 2/0

FOR PERMIT - Christmas Island Special size 6

This Week's Summary
The fishing was easy pickins for bonefish for those who pursued them. The bigger tide seemed to lead to a few 5 pound plus bonefish. Sight fishing for tarpon turned on, and large schools of permit were found even in the dim light of the last day. Permit continued to be available to those with the heart to dedicate some time to them. Congratulations to Jason with a grand slam trip with permit, tarpon and bonefish to the boat all in one week.

Ed - [email protected].

El Pescador guest Steve and guide Emir with permit

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

FISHING REPORT

Week of October 25th - October 31st 2010

Weather Conditions: Hurricane Richard left us in the early morning hours of The 25th and we were able to get started fishing around 8 am once we cleaned up the boats. The rest of the week was clear for the most part with an occasional shower or thunderstorm here and there.

Winds: Winds started at 10-20 mph slowly getting better as the week went on. Wind direction was from the east most days moving out of the North by the end of the week

Air Temperature: Mid 80's

Water Temperature: Low 80's. Some very low tides this week.

Moonphase: The last quarter moon fell on October 30th.

BONEFISH: Bonefishing was outstanding even as the hurricane left the shore. The 2 boats that ventured out all caught fish the first day and continued to be cooperative throughout the week. Ned landed the biggest of the week around 4 pounds. Mary landed her first bonefish on a fly rod ( 7 that day for here) thanks to some casting lessons by guide Erlindo.

PERMIT: The permit fishing heated up on Wednesday with the 2 boats targeting permit coming back with 3 for Ned and Henry from the UK and one for Bernhard from Austria. Bernhard's permit was 13 pounds.

TARPON: The flats were churned up so tarpon fishing was slow until�Bernhard and Otto jumped 5 tarpon one day but none made it to the boat. Several other boats went out for tarpon and were snubbed. Towards the end of the week Anatoly ( from Russia) jumped a half dozen large tarpon down near long key.

SNOOK:��Snook are starting to congregate and some schools and loners were found. Snook fishing should heat up soon.

OTHER: Barracuda, snapper, jacks, ladyfish were landed.

FLIES THAT WORKED

FOR BONES - Gotchas, crazy charlies, christmas island specials - anything small and moving.

FOR TARPON - All White Cockroach ( size 1/0) , black death (tarpon bunny style) size 2/0

FOR PERMIT - Christmas Island Specials, Slimram Shrimp

This Week's Summary
Bonefish and permit fishing was great but tarpon was slower than expected even after the flats cleared up. One day the tarpon are eating flies while the next they are nowhere to be found. Our fishing director Lori-Ann Murphy is back next week! It was a privilege to fill in for her while she was on vacation.

Ed - [email protected].

El Pescador guest Steve and guide Emir with tarpon

Last edited by Marty; 11/27/10 09:46 AM. Reason: typo on tarpon wrote permit
K
K
Funny look'n permit in that last pic.

Flyfishing my way through mid-life crisis.
Hey John, My son Steve can streach small permit enough to make it look like that. I'm going down Monday and try it myself. Hope the weather holds.

I'll be happy to discuss my avatar with anyone who knows what it is.
Page 2 of 49 1 2 3 4 48 49

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 289 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.