Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
chris45 Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Just for the record, the changes we have been campaigning for have now mainly been accepted by Coastal Zone, as per their recent press release.
One modification remains but I hope that too will be accepted .
Meanwhile the law reqiring anglers to have sport fishing licences is in effect. Anyone not holding a Belizean passport or permanent residency, is required to have a SFL for boat fishing.
The license is not required for juniors or those over 65, Tour Guides, for those fishing from the shore, nor for non- anglers in a boat.
The situation for Belizeans and residents is presently unclear. For those planning any offshore fishing or flyfishing for tarpon, bonefish or permit, it would probably be wise to buy a license until such time as the situation is clarified.
For Belizeans engaged in "subsistence fishing for food', no license is required.
Licenses are currently available from Placencia Tourist centre, Steppingstones Resort in Monkey River, and other places yet to be announced.
I understand that on line purchases will commence in about two months time, and also within that timeframe licenses will be available at Phillip Goldson International Airport.
The law requiring all tarpon bonefish and permit to be returned to the water is in effect. It is an offense to have any of these in your possession, whether whole or as meat.
This is my unofficial understanding of the law to be enforced. Anglers are advised to check with Coastal Zone if in any doubt.

S
S
Just as an FYI for resorts, guides or any other interested parties. We were able to purchase licenses in bulk through the Coastal Zone to resell to our clients at TMM.

R
ron Offline
R
Is this license requirement for all boat fishing or for just Tarpon, Permit and Bonefish? Does anyone know what the yearly rate is and can the license be purchased on Caye Caulker. What is the cost for buying in bulk?

S
S
There is no discount for bulk. You have to contact Coastal Zone to buy the licenses. The rates have been published earlier on the board, off the top of my head I don't recall the exact amounts.

C
chris45 Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Ron: as i said in my post above,the license is required for all fishing from a boat, whether flats, inshore or deep sea for all non Belizeans and non-residents, so bonefish, tarpon, permit are included.
The yearly rate is BZ$100, available only in person from Coastal Zone's offices in Princess Margaret Drive in Belize City. ID is required.
If you call Coastal Zone they will be able to inform you if there is an agent on Caye Caulker.
Just for the record, the weekly rate is BZ$50 and the daily rate BZ$20
Please refer to previous posts for further info.

R
ron Offline
R
Thanks Simon and Chris. I remembered the original rates that were quoted in earlier posts but didn't know those were the final rates. I guess another trip in BC.

OK, I am completely confused now. If I am a resident of Belize but not a Belize citizen am I required to have a license and if so, how much does it cost and where can it be purchased? If my friends come to Belize and we are just fishing for snapper and that kind of thing from a boat are they required to have a license? I assume all these licenses are non-transferable? Is it possible to purchase an annual license for a boat that would cover anyone fishing from that boat? That is what happens in Florida where I live the rest of the time.
I apologize if this has all already been asked and answered and if it has then just send me to where the information is.
Thanks, Martin

Last edited by CaptOneIron; 04/12/10 09:53 AM.

Captain One Iron
C
chris45 Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Martin:Some of your questions have been answered above, but not all.
Belizeans and Belizean residents. This is the one remaining area of uncertainty as I noted above. if you are in a boat I would personally advise you to get a license. No one can give you a definitive answer because the law is unclear. I am still in discussion with Coastal Zone about this, and hope to get it clarified soon. If you are fishing from the shore you do NOT need a license. Your (presumably foreign) friends, however DEFINATELY will need a license if in a boat.
Licenses are non-transferable.
Costs are BZ$20 per day, BZ$50 per week and BZ$100 per year.
licenses may be purchased from Coastal Zone direct, or from some resorts and tourist centres. your best bet is to call Coastal Zone and ask where your nearest agent is.
All licenses are issued to named persons, not per boat.
Annual licences are available only for Belizeans or Belizean residents on personal application to Coastal Zone in Belize City. You will need to take your passport with you to prove residency.
The above is my personal understanding of how things stand. If in any doubt please speak to Coastal Zone direct.

C
chris45 Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Incidentally,Martin, I assume you are aware that to run a boat in Belizean waters you need a Belizean Masters License for the boat.
My understanding is that a US Masters License is not valid in Belizean waters unless in transit.
Just one more headache!

Sport Fishing License Available

Sport fishing licenses are now available in San Pedro for tourist to purchase the daily or weekly sport fishing license at the Tres Pescados Fly Shop and El Pescador Lodge. The license is for sport fishing any of the 25 game fish identified in SI No. 114 of 2009 and include tarpon, bonefish and permit which are also the only 3 catch-and-release species of the 25 game fish. The sport fishing license went into effect in September, 2009 but availability has been a problem.

The annual sport fishing license must still be purchased directly from Coastal Zone Managment Authority however, the Tres Pescados Fly Shop can save a trip to Belize City by scanning and emailing the required papers to CZMA with the license sent over on Tropic Air the next day. For more information call 226-3474 or 226-2398.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.