Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#373714 - 04/17/10 03:42 PM Ferry-boat rivalry strands passengers
Marty Online   happy
Nine tourists from Chetumal who arrived in San Pedro aboard the San Pedro Water Jets Express, a ferry service operated by Giovanni Marin, were left stranded in San Pedro last week because the rival taxi service, the San Pedro Belize Express Water Taxi, operated by Marin, refused to take them on to Caye Caulker.

Giovanni Marin, who was obliged to provide accommodations for the stranded tourists, was so infuriated that he fired off a letter to the Prime Minister. He has written also to the Belize Tourist Board and the Ministry of Transport.

In his complaint he claims that the San Pedro Belize Express was the last ferryboat to leave San Pedro on April 8 and that it had the space to accommodate the nine tourists.

San Pedro Water Jets Express leaves San Pedro at 8 o’clock each morning for Chetumal and returns, leaving Chetumal at 4:45 p.m.

San Pedro Belize Express leaves San Pedro at 6 in the evening to connect with Caye Caulker on the way to Belize City. The nine tourists in San Pedro wanted to go on to visit Caye Caulker, but they were refused passage on the San Pedro- Belize Express.

The reason given for the refusal, Giovanni Marin says, is that the visitors had not come across on the San Pedro-Belize Express.

Several calls made by this newspaper to the San Pedro Belize Express were ignored, indicating that ferry-operator Marin did not want to discuss the matter.

Before leaving Chetumal, Giovanni Marin had assured the visitors that they would have no problem visiting Caye Caulker as well as San Pedro.

In his letter to the Belize Tourist Board Marin charged that the refusal by the San Pedro-Belize Express to accept paying passengers was an abuse of authority.
“I am amazed that these things can happen in a country whose major industry is tourism,” he exclaimed.

Marin further stated that he tried to get the San Pedro police to intervene, but the police replied that a sea captain has the right to refuse passage to anyone he chooses. Moreover the police said, the problem was a civil matter and the police could not get involved.

“That was ludicrous because the schedules are posted publicly, and anyone from anywhere should be able to buy a ticket and ride on any form of public transport anywhere in this country,” Giovanni Marin said.

He added that this is the third time that passengers from a rival boat have been turned away.

“These are abuses in the transportation service and it is disheartening.... and at a time that we need every single dollar that we can muster to keep our economy viable,” Marin said., adding: “It is my hope that something will be done this time to address this serious problem.”

The Reporter

#373730 - 04/17/10 05:04 PM Re: Ferry-boat rivalry strands passengers [Re: Marty]
Peter Jones Offline
This has now gone WAY beyond the stage where legal intervention is required.

But I don't understand - the lead person for each is called Marin. Are they related? What on earth is going on?

And in what way is a ferry from Chetumal a "rival" for a ferry operating between islands? If I fly to Belize City and want to come back by boat, will the ferry refuse to bring me?

#373736 - 04/17/10 06:24 PM Re: Ferry-boat rivalry strands passengers [Re: Peter Jones]
BrusselSprout Offline
I thought the Caye Caulker Water taxi and the San Pedro Belize Express were now owned by the same person. Makes no sense.

#373759 - 04/17/10 11:20 PM Re: Ferry-boat rivalry strands passengers [Re: BrusselSprout]
Peter Jones Offline
Are there two different ferries that serve San Pedro and Chetumal? One the water jet, the other presumably conventionally driven? Because I thought the Chetumal ferry was owned by the San Pedro Water Taxi people. Is that the case, with the water jet service being owned by different people?

One thing's for sure - this hardly helps tourism.

#373929 - 04/19/10 07:32 PM Re: Ferry-boat rivalry strands passengers [Re: Peter Jones]
HOT_Card Offline
Cannot confirm if the Caye Caulker Water Taxi and San Pedro Express are now one and the same, but Belize Water Jets is a separate company that run daily service from San Pedro to Chetumal leaving SP from the old Thunderbolt dock on the back of the island by the old football field/Sunset Grill. They do not run to Caye Caulker or Belize City.

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (Marty, 1 invisible), 38 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,674 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,049 Topics
462,277 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.