Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#372123 03/31/10 08:00 PM
M
OP Offline
M
Does one need to be a permanent resident before starting up a business in Belize? My assumption is yes...Anyone have experience starting a small business?

No, you need to get a work permit, that is not so difficult when you start your own business and can prove that you are bringing money to invest in Belize. After one year of living (and working) in Belize, you can apply for your residency. For more information, I would suggest to contact Santiago Gomez from International Services: www.belizeoffshoreinvestors.com

Live and let live
T
T
Can anyone tell me whether for permanent residency you cannot leave the country in a year for more then 14 days or is it you cannot leave the country for more the 14 CONSECUTIVE days...the books including Lan Sluder's stuff are conflicting.

C
C
Its been some years that I got my residency, it was a total of days not consecutively. However that can be waived, my husband got his residency a few years ago and spent 4 months a year in the States working, he was not even in the country and I got it for him. You have to go to Belmopan and speak directly to The Director of Immigration. Other exceptions are made if its medically related. I have a friend that cant be here in very hot months so she has never been here more than 9 months a year and had no problem with work permits or getting her residency. Family emergency also waives the time in country.
There are certain occupations that you will have trouble getting a work permit, if its a common position for a Belizean, as restaurant work, Hotel work, sales......tour guide. You can own the business. Ex; You can own the dive boat, but will have a real hard time getting a permit to work on it or a guide license. Like I said though exceptions can be made by the Director of Immigration.

LONELY PLANET SAYS TOURIST LOVE OUR ART. BEST PRICES ON ART.
M
M
transitioning,

I have a copy of the Requirements for Permanent Residency on my site; scroll down to the bottom of the page to see it...
http://belizebus.wordpress.com/

As you will see, the last line on the page states, "Leaving the country for more than fourteen (14) consecutive days at any one time disqualifies the applicant".

However, you're dealing with the government, and you could get different answers from different people. That's the same form that has been used for at least 10 years and rules might have changed.

You should seek an answer from the Department of Immigration and Nationality.

B
B
The 14 day rule has always been one of mixed interpretation. The form says 14 consecutive days at one time, however, most people say/think it is 14 days total for the qualifying year. Makes a huge difference. At the end of the day, I am not sure how much they pay attention to it. I was careful not to leave more than 14 days total during the one year qualifying period; whereas, my wife had to leave a number of times once for over 14 days and certainly more than 14 days in the aggregate. We got our residency stamp at the same time, about 8 months after filing the form, which was filed at just over one year of time since we entered Belize. Perhaps they take into consideration the fact that by the time the stamp is issued, you have been in the country for well over a year. One of life's great mysteries to be sure. We were never able to get a definitive answer from the Dept. of Immigration.

C
C
Yes very true thats what rules say..but exceptions are made all the time..with no bribes..lots of situations that these rules are bended. I am in total agreement of what rules say...and you cant turn your applications in without all the requirements in order..UNLESS YOU SPEAK TO THE DIRECTOR OF IMMIGRATION...the desk clerks have to follow the rules. He can bypass them. I know about 10 people that just went to speak with him..pleaded their case and rules changed and as I said no bribes.....our stand was we had part time jobs in the US and needed the money to bring here in order to live here...no problem..rules bended. Just this year a friend that has a swelling problem with her arm in hot weather said she can only be here 8 or 9 months out of the year,,residency granted..NO PROBLEM......I am not saying this is the norm but its worth a shot.

I have seen people turned away for being out of country more than 14 days (non-consecutive).

C
C
Very True, If you dont have a complete application that follows all the requirements including length of stay, police check, letters of reference from Village/Town council, Bank, Xrays etc etc your application will not be accepted and you will be turned away. The immigration Officers are instructed not to accept applications that are not what they call complete, they actually will go down the checklist. Thats why the only chance you have to get anything waived is to go to Belmopan make sure to phone and make an appointment so you dont waist your time,
Another story is my son was going to move here to help with our business as I had some health issues and thought I would be in the States for awhile I talked to the director about him being able to get his residency without having some of the requirements and was told no problem. He however never came down.

I have found all kinds of interesting information but can not find an application for citizenship. Help!

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.