Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#374196 - 04/21/10 11:32 PM Belize Banks
Tucson Jim Offline
Planning a move to Ambergris Caye for a year to see How it works for us and I have a questions about the Banks.How comfortable would We be putting money in the Local Banks?I know Only as comfortable as I could be losing it....Seriously,are they insured or should I just leave it in a U.S. Bank but who knows how safe they are anymore.
Thanks and don't give me too much Grief for asking.Ha

#374203 - 04/22/10 12:00 AM Re: Belize Banks [Re: Tucson Jim]
elbert Offline
I feel better about having my money in Belize bank than if it where in a bank in the US. i haven't paid US income tax in 23 years :-)

#374212 - 04/22/10 12:49 AM Re: Belize Banks [Re: Tucson Jim]
ragman Offline
My advice. Open an account in a Belize Bank and move money as needed from your US account to meet expenses. Comparing bank security and dollar security between Belize and USA in my opinion is a little ridiculous. You have insurance on all US accounts up to certain limits and your US currency is welcome anywhere. Try using BZ dollars outside Belize. You can open USD accounts in Belize but there are certain drawbacks and costs.

I have no problem with relatively small sums of money; say $10K or so. Of course if you have a special situation or reason for moving large sums of money to Belize it could be warranted but not for me in my opinion.

#374235 - 04/22/10 02:43 AM Re: Belize Banks [Re: ragman]
CaptOneIron Offline
I have accounts at Belize Bank (Belize dollars) and British Caribbean Bank (US dollars) and so far have had no problems at all, except service is severely lacking.

#374236 - 04/22/10 02:48 AM Re: Belize Banks [Re: CaptOneIron]
Peter Jones Offline
You might want to see whether any banks with which you already do business is linked to any banks in Belize. For example, LloydsTSB in England has commercial links with Scotia Bank here.

#374251 - 04/22/10 09:55 AM Re: Belize Banks [Re: Peter Jones]
CaptOneIron Offline
Peter, that's very interesting as I have accounts at Lloyds TSB and they have never once mentioned any relationship with a Belize bank. Of course my accounts are on the Isle of Mann but I would think that would be the branch or division of the bank most likely to tell me of an affiliation wouldn't you? Anyway, good to know that.

Edited by CaptOneIron (04/22/10 09:56 AM)

#374254 - 04/22/10 12:52 PM Re: Belize Banks [Re: elbert]
larryc Offline
You might be in for a surprise after Sept. if you go north and have failed to file. The US Customs folks computers will have a IRS link with agents at all airports to detain you and possible haul you away as a Tax dogger. You can thank our greedy broke US goverment for trying to find where all of your money is Elbert.
This is no joke and their serious about it.

#374255 - 04/22/10 01:07 PM Re: Belize Banks [Re: larryc]
Diane Campbell Offline
Larry - there is a huge difference between "not paying" and not filing.
For US citizen who legitimately resides outside the US, a certain amount of income earned outside the US is non-taxable. The amount is quite high - a bit more than $80,000 US. It's not so easy to make that kind of money here.

#374285 - 04/22/10 04:46 PM Re: Belize Banks [Re: Diane Campbell]
Peter Jones Offline
Martin - Scotia Bank isn't a Belizean bank as such, but a Canadian bank operating in Belize. When I wanted to transfer money here years ago (God help me!) Lloyds said it was easier to transfer it to Scotia than to another bank. As there wasn't at that time a branch of Scotia on the island it wasn't actually that convenient, but now that there is (right by the airstrip) and IMO it's the nicest bank to deal with, it's an easy decision.

#374304 - 04/22/10 08:04 PM Re: Belize Banks [Re: Peter Jones]
Phil Offline
It's pretty easy to wire transfer money to any of the banks in Belize provided you can supply the multitude, and ever growing, list of information (a US legal requirement rather than Belizean).

Bear in mind it is always very easy to convert US$ to Bz$ - be that cash, Travellers Cheques, Money Orders or Cheques. It is very difficult to convert Bz$ to US$. We looked at opening a Belizean US$ account and part of the Central Bank (they control all foreign currency)terms is/were that if needed they can seize(my word not theirs) US$ funds in extreme cases of shortage in return for BZ$. I was told this had never happened but it was enough for me to keep my US$ elsewhere.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 34 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,670 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,006 Topics
462,169 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.