Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#37483 - 04/14/01 06:58 PM May23rd to 29th
Boston Lobster Offline
I am going to the Banana beach resort for extended Memorial day weekend. I've read every message posted thus far na dhave found all of it very rewarding reading. Thanks all for your messages. From other research, it seems that sand fleas and mosquitos can be a problem and that I should bring protection. I'm surprized i haven't seen anything on them. Are they not an issue in AC???

Also, it looks like the water is very shallow for a long stretch as you walk out and so you don't get waste deep for a few hundred feet. Is that a correct impression????

#37484 - 04/14/01 08:57 PM Re: May23rd to 29th
swayflo Offline
Boston lobster, see ya there! We will be there May 19-26, staying at Seven Seas.

#37485 - 04/14/01 09:49 PM Re: May23rd to 29th
Mary and Scott Offline
Lobster..although we went in September last year,we also heard about bugs on the board. The only time we found them to be a problem was when the wind died down right before a storm (very infrequent, although it did rain most every night,but not during the day). Do take repellent. If you sit outside much late at night, you will be bitten by critters, but no more than sitting in you back yard during the summer. We are jealous..have to wait until fall to go again! Belize it, and have a wonderful time!
Mary and Scott

#37486 - 04/14/01 09:50 PM Re: May23rd to 29th
Mary and Scott Offline
Forgot your other question..we stayed at the Seven Seas, and the water was very shallow, not sure how far out, but there are "drop- offs" so you can't ever be sure.
Mary and Scott

#37487 - 04/14/01 10:13 PM Re: May23rd to 29th
Boston Lobster Offline
swayflo... read your nickname and that of your travelling partners all over the BB...
I'm a bit older having graduated from college in the 70's, but I'm traveling with two women who are a blast!!!
Following is what I have been able to garner from all the comments in this bulletin board:
Capricon - The best place Caye Ambregris has to offer - Seafood Platter, Stuffed Grouper, several appetizers
Jade Garden - Lobster Tempura
Rendezvous - Thai–pepper pork
Jambel Jerk Pit - Jerk Chicken, Sweet and Sour Jerk Shrimp, Coconut Curry Chicken (Don't use
Los Cocos - Grilled Lobster Tails
Victoria House - Pork Loin
Ambergris Delight - Fried Chicken and Belizean Stewed Chicken with Rice, Beans and coleslaw
Elvi's - Fajitas, Cajun Quesadilla, Mayan Baked Chicken

BC's Sunday Beach BBQ - go early (11:30 to get a seat)
Sweet Basils - for lunch - seafood pasta, seafood salad, gourmet sandwiches and snacks
Celi's Deli - meat pies, tamales and mayan burritos, garnaches
The Reef restaurant - good home cooked Belizean food
Street vendors
La Margarita - Fajitas
Papi's - Shrimp Cerveche

Rubies - For Breakfast - Johnnie Cakes
Lily's - on the beach - Lobster Omelettes, Cerveche
Estel's by the Sea - on the beach
La Popular bakery - Ham and Cheese Croissants, Cinnamon Rolls, Sweet Bread, Garlic Bread

Dancing Barefoot iguana, Friday and Saturday night
Barefoot Skinny plays Tuesdays at Ramones, Monday ( Joke Night ) at Fido's, and Thursday and Friday nights at Fido's
Pier lounge for the "Chicken Drop"

Let me know if you have anything to add...

#37488 - 04/15/01 02:39 PM Re: May23rd to 29th
ccla Offline
Hey, Boston Lobster. Papaflo and I were there in March for about a week, and didn't see a single bug the entire time! We did spend the night before we arrived in St Martinville LA and the mosquitos bit my feet like crazy! I am usually the first one in any group who notices mosquitos or other bugs, so if they didn't get me, I doubt that they got anybody that week. Of course, we did take bug repellent as a precaution --- just didn't need it.

We enjoy drinking at Reef Rock Lounge and Fido's, so if you see a couple of tie-dyed hippies, let's have a Belikin together. cawflo

#37489 - 04/15/01 10:00 PM Re: May23rd to 29th
Boston Lobster Offline
See ya at Reef Rocks or Fidos...
I look like the schweffervescence man and I'll have two women in tow...

#37490 - 04/16/01 02:09 PM Re: May23rd to 29th
Deb Offline
Hi, Boston Lobster,

What part of Boston are you from? I, too, am from Boston and travelling to AC in a couple of weeks. Thanks for the restaurant info, very helpful. Can you also tell me about how long the flight is from Boston to AC? Thanks.

#37491 - 04/16/01 07:23 PM Re: May23rd to 29th
Boston Lobster Offline
Hi Deb,
I work in bedford at MITRE and live in Billerica. I'll have the info on plane time probably tomorrow. I found out American has a better return time through Miami than Continental has through Houston....

#37492 - 04/16/01 07:41 PM Re: May23rd to 29th
Boston Lobster Offline
Actually I just checked and it leaves at 8:05 AM and arrives at 2:39 PM local time...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (Marty), 52 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,635 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,717 Topics
461,256 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.