Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#37503 04/14/01 09:32 PM
Axeman Offline OP
OP Offline
Idaho..please explain the details of your dive.
Who ran the dives?
What Shop?
Was it a package deal with a hotel?
If so, where did you stay?
You spoke harshly of this crew for good reason I'm sure...but why are you the only person I've seen in a month of posts with this experience. Email me if you don't want to post here.

Life May Be a Beach...I prefer Reefs...
#37504 04/14/01 09:47 PM
S
S
Hey Axeman!

Not to worry! Blue Hole dive Center is awesome! I was there about two years ago...going back this June. Ask for Eddie (I hope he's still with them). He taught and showed us a lot. He was born, raised and says he's never gonna leave AC. I agree with evereyone else....I think Idaho was expecting too much...especially if you're such a seasoned and travelled diver. You'll love AC!! Very laid back and friendly. Go with the flow!!

#37505 04/14/01 10:08 PM
Axeman Offline OP
OP Offline
ya I know...this just had to come 3 days before I leave...could have done without the worry, thats all...Heck if the foods good and the people are as fun as all others have said then i won't be upset..I'm easy to please...

#37506 04/14/01 10:25 PM
S
S
It seems like a lot of Idaho's problems were caused by the weather. Nobody has control of that, you know? You make the best of it and there's SO much on AC to make the best of! By the way, besides the Belikin, there's something called "one barrel" there that's suppose to put more than just lead in your pencil. Read it on one of the other posts. It's some kind of nectar. Drink it with coke or with a lime is what they say. I know I'll be tryin some come June 2!! I'll wash it down with a couple Belikin. Didn't try it my first time around. Sounds kind of like a Belgium ale I drink here at home called "Maredsous". I think the alcohol content in that is even more than Belikin. Yikes! I'm jealous...Wish I was leaving in 3 days! Try to get some sleep before you go. Yeah, right!

#37507 04/14/01 10:38 PM
M
M
Axeman, We were on the island about the same time as Idaho and met them as we were at the same hotel and also diving with Amigos Del Mar. The winds were the biggest problem with diving and vis as I see. We did not have any real problems other than the diving close to A/C reef was very limited due to the rough seas. We did get to the Blue Hole and was very happy with the dive. If you are planning that trip I would go for it. We were a bit discouraged at the distance we had to travel to get to the really great diving but I would not let it stop me from going there again, I would just go earlier in the season as I now jnow that April is the beginning of the "windy season" as we were told at the dive shop. We also did a trip to the mainland to the Lamanai site and went with "SeaDuced" adventure tours. They were great and the trip was amazing. Have a great time.

#37508 04/15/01 01:30 AM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Axeman, if you reread my posted trip report you will see most all your answers in it.

I write it as I see it, not to please the party person who wants to go on vacation and get all ####ed up and maybe dive the next day, My main reason to go is to dive, not the night life, I was in bed at 8:30 several nights and up early to enjoy the day, I watched many sunrises. I can party at home for a lot less money and get a larger beer to boot. Why do you want to go to AC?

If Mr.Montana would get on the keyboard and give his two cents worth I bet it would be different than Mrs.Montana's. I also met somedivers from Colorado, Wyoming, Washington, and a nice couple from Curacao, which lies next to Bonaire,(been there several times and much better diving) They were really disappointed, as much as me, they even surfaced half way through the third dive with me, when they got back to the boat she said "that was a boring dive".

What I think is happening here is most of these posters have only been to AC and don't know any better. But that is ok because I won't tell them where the good diving is.

I have a question for you since you have posted here more than I, and must have learned more about the place than I learned before I went, the term 'Belize it' what does it mean? I can only think of one thing, but I'm sure the moderator/web master would censor it.

Hope I did not ruin your trip, but .... happens.

#37509 04/15/01 09:56 AM
Axeman Offline OP
OP Offline
Idaho, Thank you for posting..really
"Belize it" means this...don't sweat the small stuff.
I been diveing for 20 years and each place I've been has offered different challenges and beauties. The ocean is her own master which mankind has no control over. I'm sad you had such a rough time.
As far as diveing goes I use an old saying I learned in the navy.
The worst women I ever slept with was wonderful...so goes my attitude with diveing...Ya I've been on a few trips (barbados) which had NOTHING but sand..NO fish, tiny wreck...a hungover DM...I still had a fun time. Mostly, when I go to new places I try to find the best part and enjoy that...One Barrel Rum may end up being it!
Doubt with all the COOL people waiting for me there already that I could have ANYTHING but a WONDERFUL time...kinda like sex...be patient, take it slow, Be Passionate, NEVER expect more than you can handle, and be greatful for the chance to share an intimate momment.
Well folks now that I've beared my soul here..I'll drink the rest of my morning coffee and look forward to AC....2 days and I get on da plane boss, da plane. I deserve this vacation.
Again Idaho..sorry I won't be seeing you in AC sometime..but...I think it's your loss.

#37510 04/15/01 10:27 AM
F
F
I live to dive but that is not the only reason we do dive vacations. We have been to Jamacia twice and the diving is not that great at all and we still had a blast. We have been to Coz a couple of times where the diving is great but the Cruisers suck. You just have to make the best of what you get and be happy mon. See ya in a week Ax.

#37511 04/15/01 12:36 PM
Well Idaho, what can I say? I may or may not have been diving as many places as you have but will St. Maarten, Bali, Cozumel, Bahamas, San Pedro and the Atolls do for the time being? I'm heading to SE Asia in the fall, perhaps then I'll have been diving enough places to make a proper comparison. Again, I'm sorry that the weather and visibility were not good during your trip. I'm also sorry that it wasn't that great during my last trip to SP. However, the times prior to Hurricane Keith were just fine. The inner reef has some damage from Hurricane Mitch but I have seen recovery and look forward to seeing more.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

#37512 04/15/01 12:37 PM
Idaho, I'll also add this. If you are all about dive, dive, dive and early to bed. You are right. San Pedro is not for you. You should probably have been staying out at the Atolls or doing a liveaboard.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

#37513 04/16/01 05:49 PM
D
D
Ok.. I have to agree with most of the posts here. My opinion, and shred me if you want I.D. because I am still just a 'wanna be' diver. But, I guess I'm disgusted in the attitude that some American's bring to a place like this; only one sided tunnel vision. I know you needed a vaca (don't we all), and time to bond w/your daughter. It's unfortunate that the weather wasn't as hoped. But, what I think is even sadder, is that we have lost the idea of what life is truly about. It's now a very selfish, one sided view ... me me me. What happened to the good ol days?? They certainly have disappeared from people like us that have all too much. Even if your idea of vacation wasn't to mingle with the locals, why couldn't you take a minute and realize that out of all the trips you have been fortunate to take, this one might have been more for your daughter, or a giving or maybe better, not a receiving trip for you? To me your post was all about what didn't happen right for you. I wish you could have looked around, and taken the time to realize how much you really do have, and the many opportunities you have had it sounds like. I guess I've learned that in giving, I certainly receive a whole lot more. I'm not saying that you should pay good, hard earned money to go somewhere and do service, but...it's just unfortunate that you couldn't look at the beauty of a country that gives so much, yet has so little. Imagine the people who have lived there all their lives, and what little they really have, or need to be happy. And at the same time, they probably give back to us tourists, more than they receive. If you truly look into it, they have more than we do; it's just not in monetary form. I just hope it doesn't take a major tragedy in your life (and others) to realize just how much we do have, and be grateful for it, enough so that when things don't go perfect, we can see another view. It seems like American's only find out how much we have, only after we've lost something of value. I think your daughter could have seen (and maybe she did)a life that most of her friends have no idea truly exists, and then maybe she could help to widen the view of those around her.

#37514 04/16/01 06:22 PM
M
M
Diann...well said! One of the things we loved most about AC was the people and their laid back personalities and way of life. They don't seem to need (or want) all the "trappings" we Americans crave..the newest of everything for ourselves and our children. And what was really great was, that, for the week we were there, we didn't miss them either. You really learn the difference between "basic needs" and "wants". I hope that most of us bring that spirit back home with us. ID did not mention (even tho I asked in a previous post) whether he enjoyed walking around town, or how much he liked (or even disliked) the food or various restaurants. I hope he (or at least his daughter)got to marvel at the beautiful sunrises and sunsets, and enjoy the sun and the wonderful breezes. Oh, well, his loss.

Mary and Scott
#37515 04/16/01 06:37 PM
Axeman Offline OP
OP Offline
Diann, I think I'm in love...can we get married :-)

#37516 04/16/01 07:17 PM
D
D
Axeman...
only if you're taking me on dis trip baby!!! den i'm all yours!!!! talk about pix now Denman.. woo hoo!!!!

#37517 04/17/01 12:21 AM
D
D
Mary...
So right you are!!! If I recall right...(I am blonde ya know) that somewhere on this site was a story about a business man who, when getting off the plane in AC was not the same man at the end of his visit; no suit, no watch, not a care. I've been trying to locate that story, but no luck!! But the gest of it goes along with what you said. So back atchya babe!!!

#37518 04/17/01 08:13 AM
Axeman Offline OP
OP Offline
DIANN
I'll use one of your lines...send PIX...hmm> checks flights from Co. ouch.....

#37519 04/17/01 08:43 PM
I'll second Axemans earlier message. I personally don't believe that AC has shown me the "greatest" dives I've ever had (starting in the late 60's in the Phillipines, and more recently, 4 trips to Cozumel,US Virgins, Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Dominican Republic, western Puerto Rico, St Maarten, Bonaire) and every place was a bit different, but all nice in their own way. Some were better than others. I don't live to dive, it is just one of the things I do on vacation. I like laying by the pool, doin a few Belikins, meeting people. This last trip, my brother-in-law decided to take a resort course, and I did a dive with him at Mexican Rocks. 10 feet max, for a little over an hour. Enjoyed it, looked at stuff, but not what you would call exciting dive. So what?

Been there, done that, the washing machine ate the T-shirt
#37520 04/17/01 09:40 PM
M
M
Diann...Ouch!! Sorry about the blonde thing...you do realize that it's only jealousy, have wanted to be blonde all my life! We do think alike,though,AC pal.. feel like I kind of know you already! Wish you were going back to AC in the fall..would love to meet ya! I read that article you mentioned and printed it out..I may be able to find it. If not, I think I know where I saw it..will search. If I find the print out I can scan it and e-mail it to you if you give me your e-mail address. Ours is [email protected]. Hope you were not offended by my blonde comment (three of my sisters are blonde..as I said, we brunettes are just jealous!). Belize it! Axeman, if you have not left yet....have a great time!!!

Mary and Scott
#37521 04/17/01 11:06 PM
K
K
Diann...Bravo! Great comments!!! Thanks for your honesty...straight from the heart... Hope to get back to basics on our trip to AC. A snorkler, yes, (diver wanna be, too)but more than that...a student of life, for sure! Have seen some pretty horrendous examples of the "Ugly American" from our travels...yikes!! Hope to capture the spirit of Belize while there. If I can bring that home...my trip will have been a success...

Lynne [Linked Image]

#37522 04/18/01 05:43 AM
Axeman Offline OP
OP Offline
Leaveing in 5 minutes..Denny...Diann is a DROP DEAD HOTTIE...you better be careful...she ALL MINE!!!...hehe you all keep the board hopping..I'm GONE!!!!

#37523 04/18/01 06:28 AM
Axeman... don't worry... I'll take good care of her for you... lol

#37524 04/18/01 01:52 PM
K
K
Wasnt it Groucho Marx who said "sometimes a cigar is just a cigar?"

With all do respect, this is a man from Idaho, cracking back on AC???

Whats next? Someone from Wyoming telling me that Hawaii is a dreadfull place to go?

--Again no offense intended, sometimes a cigar is.....

#37525 04/18/01 11:01 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
"Whats next? Someone from Wyoming or Idaho telling me that Hawaii is a dreadfull place to go?"

Nope, I was there in about '81', have not been back. But it was the place I started my diving thrill.

BTW (by the way)are you the guy I talked to who thought the Beatles started in about 1968 when you were in high school? The guy who wants to open a dive shop in Hawaii? The guy who was in the room next to us???

No offense intended, but, sometimes a dive cert junky is.

#37526 04/18/01 11:10 PM
C
C
DEAR IDAHO DIVERS,

If you disliked AC so much, why are you even wasting your time with these posts????????????????

#37527 04/18/01 11:36 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Good question. Maybe so others don't get their bubble burst. Don't worry, I'll go away someday soon, or as soon as this thread dies out.

[This message has been edited by Idaho divers (edited 04-18-2001).]

#37528 04/19/01 09:29 AM
M
M
Uh-oh. Me thinks the "Taste Police" are right around the corner . . .

#37529 04/19/01 10:47 AM
D
D
ummmmmm can we just focus dis subject back on me?!?!?!?? JUST KIDDIN!!! i thought enuff was said and just wanted to stop the ill talk of AC. you stated what you felt, so why continue? No one lashed out at you; we just hoped you'd see your glass half full instead of almost empty!!!

Hey dere Mary-jane girl wanna be blonde... let's just meet on dat dere beach, and i know we can set ya up!! between shaygray and i (you're a blondie too, right?!?!) we can rid ya of dat brewnette problemo!!! come join da fun babe!! [Linked Image]

and AMEN'S go out to Lynne, KOZ, cajunflo, and M-A Gaffney.........

#37530 04/19/01 01:44 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
hi. i have been staying off this one, but i am curious: so, what IS a great place to dive?

my hubby has only a few dozen dives under his belt, but loved it in Bz. he also tried cozumel and caymans, and liked Bz better. he saw lots of sealife, all kinds. do you think it was a time-of-the-year thing?

my sister was in fiji earlier this year and said currents there are too strong, and she got pretty cut up by the coral in spite of her swimming efforts.

seriously, I.D., where is a great place to dive?

#37531 04/19/01 09:13 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
denverdan,

Here is what she posted.

Idaho divers
. posted 04-16-2001 12:46 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mendi, I'm Idaho Diver's wife. I didn't go along to Belize because the teen daughter and Dad needed to "bond". I am like you if life gives you lemon's make lemonade (did that sound Idaho'ish?) when I got the first trip report (via e-mail) the poor diving was such a heavy dissapointment (because of the purpose of the trip)for "Dad". We like to breathe dry air and stay submerged in salt water for as long as we can after one of our lovely winters. But he did start talking about quite a few adventures and pleasant times they had to make up for the poor diving. He just hates people to assume that because our daughter is young that we belong on the novice boats. There also wasn't the time to research about the April winds before booking the vacation. He took most of his information from the board. Anyway, they enjoyed parasailing, the food (he brought home a bottle of jerk seasoning and made us one darn good meal)the Belikens, Shark-Ray Alley, walks along the beach and the wonderful people of Belize. I know my daughters trip report is different. She learned alot about how other people live. How good and friendly the people of San Pedro are in comparison to the spoiled kids in the US. Exceeding her fears and finding out bad diving conditions build skills . Besides, she thought Turneffe Caye was good and she was excited about the big groupers, rays, nurse sharks and barracuda.
She got a great understanding of eco-systems and mother nature. She says she is taking me back in 5 years as she figures the reef will be healed a bit by then. So I will be there to try out Jambel Jerk, Jade Garden and Parasailing. Hope your outlook is always this up because it made ours better!

//ambergriscaye.com/message/Forum4/HTML/002625.html

#37532 04/19/01 09:19 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
janeinPA,

I am writing one for you, but I would like to send it to your e-mail. But I will post it here if I don't hear from you.

my e-mail, politilli@hotmail.com

[This message has been edited by Idaho divers (edited 04-20-2001).]

#37533 04/20/01 11:21 PM
K
K
Hey ID, have I got the dream dive for you...
Bring your ice pick to the great lakes..no crowds..no talking, everyone froze to their gear, you'll get the cold shoulder for sure, no amateurs here..k-man

#37534 04/21/01 01:29 AM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
k-man, Lets get nasty,

Not a chance for that low elevation dive training dive camp, even though I hear you got some good wrecks to check out. Why don't you come up here for a 7000 ft. high elevation cold water dive? Followed by a drive home over a pass at 9000 ft. first thermo at 25 ft. second at 36ft. bone chilling to say the least. Maybe that is why I seem so frigid and can't stand lousy dives or divers. If you're a man leave the drysuit at home. If you make it to 75 ft. for 30 min. you earned my respect. And if you get bent we even have a recompression chamber here in town for you, that is if you can stand the cold.

#37535 04/21/01 01:51 AM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
diann,

"glass half full instead of almost empty"

I see it as a container that is larger than it needs to be. I want to belive I am a realist, but a bit on the radical side.

#37536 04/22/01 04:36 AM
K
K
ID, iceman -
I hate cold water! Before I got a drysuit I use to heat hot water and fill gal milk jugs put them in a cooler and when at the dive site pour them over my wet suit, is that thinking or what?
Before I dust off one of the log books and share one of my many wreck stories I'll go along with the diving sitcho out there today... I shake my head at what dive charters are going thru. Just last month a young man that works for me wanted to get into diving with his wife to-be. They both signed up for a weekend class. Saturday book work and Sunday pool... and now they're planning their open water on a carribean charter honeymoon. Is that unbelievable or what?... these two will be on a charter and have never been in open water before and be certified to dive with you, iceman... they may even buddy you up with him or her on your next dive... (that's another topic in itself)... best of luck to you dive charter captains and crew. See, I do agree with you there, but don't let anyone know.
Well, back to one of my stories, iceman, and if you or anyone else likes these I've got a mess of 'em.
July 15th, 1989, Alger Perserve, Munising, Lake Superior. Smith Moore wreck, sank 100 years ago (that very weekend) while in tow...75^ air, 60^ surface, first thermo 38^ (this should be even cold enough for you, iceman) landed on deck at 90' helm station intact 20' visablility, dive buddy spotted fish on deck - came up behind and grabbed it with both hands (fish get cold, too)... found penetration thru deck hatch, headed to stern, sand filling hull just enough passage to squeeze under bulk heads 100', entering engine rm found stoker door for boiler... swam inside, located and exited ship thru its 5' dia smokestack, 28 min tbt.
k-man

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 304 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.