Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
OP Offline
T
Planning to move to San Pedro for a year to see ,how we like it and vice versa.What areas should we look in for long term rental?
Thanks

Do you need to be close to town? North or South of the bridge? Will you have a golf cart or bikes? Will you have access to a boat?

Really depends on what your interests and your budget. I would suggest you rent a condo somewhere in town or close to town for a period of a month or so and then explore the island and see what is available while you decide where to live. Be careful of committing to a full year without spending some time here.

Captain One Iron
T
OP Offline
T
Thanks for the advice.I should have been more clear in my original post.We have been to Ambergris Caye several times and have stayed at resorts both north and south,so we are familar with the Island but not the areas(San Pablo,Tres Coco,etc)
With the increase in crime,we want information about the various neighbor hoods.I understand there isn't a lot of crime but it is becoming a concern(we have alot in Tucson but we know what areas are the safest and I quess that is what we need to know.For example 4 or 5 yrs. ago we stayed at Belizean Shores and used to drive back late at night in a cart but since the attempted robbery and killing,I don't think we would want to do that again.

Thanks again and keep the suggestions coming..
Thanks

Why not? I was robbed on the beach in town but I still drive my golfcart all over the place at night. That said, I also try to keep a sharp lookout but then I also do that here at home in my locked vehicle going 50km/hr down the street.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

S
S
But you don't even have a golfcart

what?

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

L
L
Both the North and South have very active neighborhood watch groups that are doing a good job. I can only speak for the SACNW ,but we also have a fairly active participation at social gatherings and meetings. A very good way to get to know people on the island. In spite of the crimes in recent months, still really do not feel intimidated about going out in the evening on the golf cart.

R.B. Mernitz
P
P
Originally Posted by Tucson Jim
For example 4 or 5 yrs. ago we stayed at Belizean Shores and used to drive back late at night in a cart but since the attempted robbery and killing,I don't think we would want to do that again.

Thanks again and keep the suggestions coming..
Thanks

Keep things in perspective too. It was a single robbery and they picked the wrong person to rob. A plane crashes somwewhere on the planet. You get in one again. A car crash kills several.... etc etc. When things like this happen and are the norm they go unoticed/reported. Thats when you worry. When an exception happens it is big news. I'm not trying to belittle it. It happened and it is bad - can't say I'm too upset at the outcome - but it was a single incidence. The Town is trying to do what it can to stop things like this from happening again. Hundreds of thousands of people have driven and cycled that path before, and will again, with no issue.

I feel more safe here than I did in Northern California. When coworkers expressed concerns about the safety of scuba diving I said it was likely that I get killed crossing the street in front of the hospital than die scuba diving.
I am a great advocate of dogs. My beautiful blond daughter takes our dog with a ferocious bark when she goes on the golf cart.

Common sense is your best protection.

I love the northern section called Tres Cocos which is mostly single family homes. It is very quiet and neighbors do look out for each other. On May 17th we will be building our Police Sub-station and we will have a grand opening on the 29th.

Last edited by ScubaLdy; 05/16/10 11:10 AM.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 312 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.