Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#376704 05/12/10 04:47 PM
B
beached Offline OP
OP Offline
B
As a newbie to AC and the area, but a veteran "low key" traveler - we gotta know. Is it safe to travel to paradise - we have heard some bad stories, but as a veteran of Isla Mujeres, which sounds so much like AC we take the stories in stride. Also will there be anyone there in September?

Been trying to get there since last fall, but wound up in hospital - quintuple bypass - too much laid back beach time! So now the decision is to either go back to Isla Mujeres or find a new piece of paradise...also please please tell us no McDonalds!!

Thanks

beached #376705 05/12/10 05:01 PM
P
P
Don't be misled by the talk in these pages about crime. It does exist and we are very concerned about it and determined to stamp it out, but this is working from a very low base. Don't leave your brain behind, but with a normal level of awareness of your surroundings it's most unlikely you'll have any problems on the streets or beaches. Whether your accommodation is secure from sneak thieves is really down to where it is and how aware the landlord/owner/supervisor is. Most people have no problems of any sort.

There is no MacDonalds here, though if you go to Lime's Bar opposite the Tropic Air terminal you can get a most realistic copy of a Big Mac! You can also admire San Pedro's attempt to look like Times Square, with a cycling neon display facing down the road and advertising a local hotel.

Your bypass sounded pretty major. I'm glad that's behind you and you'll love it here.

beached #376706 05/12/10 05:17 PM
Beached, I've been to AC 5 times in the last two years by myself, a friend and my wife. We have never experienced any safety problems. That also includes night bar hops listening to music. Of course I am careful and don't get crazy drunk, unless I have two designated "walkers" with me. smile
If you are in town or south of town there are always taxis if you have any concerns at night.

I've been to Isla Mujeres twice and IMO it doesn't even come close to AC. Great place and great people.

"Hold on Tight To Your Dreams" ELO
azbob #376770 05/13/10 08:37 AM
Our neighborhood watch groups are really joining together and stepping up across the island to keep Ambergris Caye Safe.

San Pedro based Belize Blog since 2007 - great travel resources & discounts https://tacogirl.com/

azbob #376855 05/13/10 04:16 PM
B
beached Offline OP
OP Offline
B
i love the laid back - no neon signs- no chain restaurants - no worries atmosphere on IM. We pretty much just want eachand beach bar time. That is why we are seriously considering AC - but now i read that many restaurants will be closed, we arrive September 6th, staying till at least the 18th. I live for my vacation food - will i starve?

beached #376857 05/13/10 04:48 PM
You will eat at El Fogon & Rubies and drink everywhere. As an old IM traveler you will probably LOVE it.

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 106 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,030
Members20,470
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.