Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
B
Mike--you have been here long enough to remember what San Pedrito looked like--now it is a half way decent neighborhood. Stores, shops, no Harmouche yet but I bet it's coming. These things take time---they just put 50 loads of fill for the road at Mateo--It will evolve a lot faster than Pedrito did at this rate--as long as folks like you and Jesse keep the issue on top of the issue pile--squeeky wheel and all that rass

E
E
I wish to invite you all to walk the streets of San Pedrito after a little bit of rain,you can literally smell the sewage seeping through the streets .SHAME on both goverments PUP and UDP for they are to blame for allowing its people to continue to live in such substandard conditions.San Mateo residents to go through this same thing is totally wrong.This Island contributes millions of dollars every month to G.O.B. COFFERS and we get nothing back.I know they get THEIR money cause every month i write them a check.30 million dollars was gotten from the world bank to help the towns around Belize fix their streets NOT one penny was given to San Pedro this happened 3 months ago during a press conference at Belmopan. San Pedro is the only town that didnt get ONE cent. This is the only place in this country that doesnt have Ministry of works,24 healthcare, Police ''who the locals help pay for and help give them boats and vehicles''. I better stop because i will end up listing all the essential services that they should be providing with our tax dollars.

M
M
That's the idea.

Well, all this discussion is good but until we do something about it then it has accomplished just about nothing. Why not complain directly to the World Bank in the above instance. I know they won't do anything but I bet it would get the corrupt politicians in both Belmopan and San Pedro's attention. As far as the lots that are given by one of the political parties in power to their supporters what about an enforceable regulation that says you must improve the land within a certain time period or it reverts back to the state?

The simple fact of the matter is that until the Belizeans themselves want something to happen it never will. If you go from victim to victimizer with every election nothing will happen.

Captain One Iron
M
M
The new master plan recommendations gives a 2 year limit to develop or the land reverts. Personally I believe that the only solution is to get an independent town council, mayor and area rep and quite playing our stupid party politics. Central govt. only takes and gives back nothing.
San Pedrito was filled as was DFC and both have the same problems as there is not enough fill to allow for proper septic function. San Pablo , the first fill project has enough fill to where you can have a functioning septic system. It all comes down to greed of some kind. Either money or politics or both wrapped up together.
San Pedro is constantly victimized and none of our "leaders" do anything as they may fall out of favor. Where is their love of San Pedro? It seems it's in their back pocket or they are just afraid to do anything for fear of falling out of grace with the Party.
We Belizeans and others who care must all demand better. The GOB is a government of shame. offshore drilling, Maya land rights, destruction of San Pedro by allowing BAD projects to proceed are examples. If the GOB was the parent and San Pedro was the child I think the child would run away from home.

E
E
The writing is on the wall, cause the people are sick and tired of the crap that they are constantly been fed by our local leaders. I for one am tired of it, and will do whatever i can to make sure that this group goes away next election.Mike i agree with you that we need an independent town council,mayor and area rep.The time for people that really care for this island to step up is NOW. I am close to 95 percent sure that a new independent party will contest the next elections,this will be a wake up call to both parties as it will include people that really care about San Pedro .

S
S
What has become of all the 3rd party efforts that have sprung up in the past?

M
M
I would be proud to help a party that favors ecologically sound development or any candidate that makes the right environmental commitments. PUP seems to have faded away and seems to take no stand here on anything. Make no mistake we need development and a good environmental package would enhance that. If we asked I bet there is several orgs that would help us set up recycling, nationwide. Really push to be famous for our environmental concerns and clean developments. Real eco-tourism.

S
S
Which of the "parties" are you thinking of?

M
M
Right now I am not sure if such a thing exists in San Pedro and I dont know much about the national third parties. The Mennonites have one and they won one or two seats and have at least come out opposed to offshore drilling. I am not sure if that is the same as the PNP that was mentioned in PG I think. The best thing would be if both PUP and UDP tried out out do each other in the field of ecotourism promotion and environmentally sensitive development but it does not seem that either has a plan.
Soon there will be some national programs proposed outside the parties that could offer the answer to some basic problems in the country.
From my discussions outside of San Pedro it seems not many people know what is going on out here and we need a party that has San Pedro first, not a small part of something where we always get stuck with the short end of the stick.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 372 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.