Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
OP Offline
B
Experienced travellers to AC, please coment on this eMail from one of my travelling companions....
thanks

Just got off the phone with the public health nurse. She warned get a polio update, tetanus update and a hepatitis A shot. She said the hepatitis vaccine is for food and water contamination. However, if you don't get it, and I am sure you both know this, drink bottled water only, with seal intact (not the stuff they refill your bottles with, even though less expensive). Wash and peel all fruit and vegetables, be careful about salad in restaurants (invite to diarrhea), no ice cubes, brush teeth with bottled water. As far as the malaria stuff, she said if we weren't going to be in the jungle at night, just make sure you do the DEET, even though you don't like it. I know I don't want malaria!

Art
Well, I do not pretend to be a registered nurse or physician. However, I've been going to AC for about 5 years and here is what I have done after speaking with my doctor prior to the first visit:

I drink the water with no problem, including the ice cubes. I have salads with no ill effects. I also brush my teeth 3 times a day out of the tap.

If you are going inland for more than say 2 weeks or 30 days I would get shots. Just out to the caye for a week... I wouldn't bother.

Well, after reading what I wrote, I've disagreed with just about everything your nurse told you... lol But, don't take my word for it, speak with people that go on a regular basis to Belize.

P
P
Well, I would have to agree with Denny Shane.
I didn't even check with my doctor before going but used some, emphasis on the word some, common sense and had no problems. Water almost always was bottled whereever I went, so that wasn't a problem. I did use tap water to brush my teeth and to fix coffee in my room each morning with no ill effects. I ate the salads and cole slaw at the restaurants with no problem, and most of the fruit I bought there was fruit you would peel anyway, so no problem. I never wore shoes which may not have been the smartest thing, but I watched where I was stepping when I was on the streets so as not to step on glass or anything else which could have cut me. I guess some peoples bodies are more sensitive to things than others, so I would suggest you take into account how your body normally deals with any slight changes in foods, etc. I do know I cannot eat fried food in the States without terrible stomach problems, but I had NO problem eating fried chicken, french fries, conch fritters and all the other wonderful fried foods Papis and Los Cocos had to offer. Hope this helps some. Enjoy the wonderful island. [Linked Image]
Punta Rebel Girl

Debbie, the Punta Girl
Did you tell the nurse exactly where you were going or did you generalize?
One of the reasons I like A/C so much is that I don't have to worry about any of this. I have never gotten sick and I too drink the water and eat any of the food.
No, Cozumel and Puerto Vallarta were totally different stories. No many how careful I was Montazuma always got revenge.

However, if you are the type who is going to agonize over this, then do whatever will make you feel safe. No harm in overprotection. The important thing about going to the island is to R E L A X - MON!

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
I think it is wise to keep your tetnus up to snuff no matter where in the world you are.

In San Pedro We drink bottled water and love our ice, no problems for many years.

This March-April we did wear our shoes more when walking off the beach or Front street. I am guessing due to Keith.

[This message has been edited by margarita (edited 04-24-2001).]

B
OP Offline
B
Muchas gracias mis amigos. Como ustedes hablieron es verdad!!!! Bueno!!!

Art
I'm like Mary. I always get Montezuma's revenge in Mexico, no matter how careful I am. Never, never in SP and I use the water to brush my teeth and eat pretty much whatever I like.

With regard to walking all over in your barefeet; I used to do that before Mitch. After Mitch, I keep my sandals on but I pick up all the nails and glass that I see. Takes me forever to get anywhere . . . but who said I was in a hurry or going anywhere special anyway? :^)

It occurred to me that if every tourist picked up a few feet of the nails and glass as they walked along, everything would be spick and span in no time.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

We never get any shots or anything, our whole family, kids galore (our kids always bring friends), no shots, no sickness. we drink the water, eat everything, food vendors are GREAT, never peel any vegetables, no problems at all...

[This message has been edited by Marty (edited 04-25-2001).]

Sorry gang, in my last post, I meant to say, "after Keith" not "after Mitch".

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

Remember when you ask for medical advice from a Doctor or Nurse, they have the duty of totally informing you, of the best protection. I have found only staying one week, I did not have any problems, but when I stayed for two weeks, I did experience some problems, therefore, stopped using tap water for brushing teeth, and stopped ordering anything that required ice. Got better immediately. So on future trips I will use only bottled water and no ice.

Dare To Deviate
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 278 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.