Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
OP Offline
S
My family and I will be on Ambergris June 20-27 and are staying at Victoria House. My husband and his buddies want to do some flats fishing and maybe an offshore trip, too. Any recommendations on who is best to use?
PLEASE keep in mind that my husband is a professional saltwater fisherman here in the US and will need someone who really knows their stuff. He will be looking for tarpon and bonefish on the flats & whatever is running right now offshore. Any names and contact information would be helpful and appreciated. My husband will want to call and talk to the guides before booking a trip with them.

Thanks for your help....9 days and counting until we are in paradise again!!

Abby Marin TOP KNOTCH Flats fisherman probably one of the best Flats fishermen on the island

You can also see him in Currents of Belize in action

http://www.currentsofbelize.com/

Contact info 501-226 2131

Gaz Cooper

Last edited by Gaz Cooper; 06/11/10 11:20 AM.
Yes abbey marin is very very good for the flats . Try But may just be booked .For both flats and deep sea go to my budy steve he brokers for 8 great local capts here go to fishingsanpedro.com ask him if pete graniel is open. pete is very good as well And as is Abel gurrierro .both two old time guides who know there stuff .Pete Also has a 38 footer for off shore trips a plus .

Living The Dream Every Day!
S
S
If Abby @ GoFish is booked, try contacting the El Pescador resort. They now offer their guide services to outside guests. Or Contact Jim Oliver at the Tres Pescados fly shop in town. You won't go wrong with either.

http://www.elpescador.com
http://www.belizefly.com

S
OP Offline
S
Wow - thank you all so much for this information. I'll be sure to give it to my husband so he can begin making his phone calls.

Happy Friday!!

Susan

K
K
OK, let's get this straight. Gaz: do you even flyfish? But then again you haven't been on the island since....Capt, I know you're a stand-up guy, but not a flats guy. SF Jeff, the guides at Pescador have always been available.
Suzy, maybe inadvertantly, but you created a tough situation. I don't think I'd suggest a guide I've fished given your descibed husband's credentials. It's a no win.

Flyfishing my way through mid-life crisis.
You obviously got nothing straight Krefish all you did was slag down everyones elses advice and gave nothing of value in your own post

If you got nothing positive and valid to add to a post then its best say nothing.

If your the Mr Big shot know it all flats fisherman that your making out why not give some inside information instead of bashing other peoples good hearted attempts to help out a visitor to the island.

If the guy is a professional fly fisherman then he does not need to be taught anything, all he needs is a guide to show him the best places to find the fish.

Since Abby Marin and some of the guides are considered the best on the island by many many people, not to mention they have taken professional fishermen and well known TV fishing personalities fishing many times before, I think they are the most qualified on the island to take this guy.

What is your fantastic advice ? based on your post its dont bother you cant get a good guide.

You have pretty much insulted the best fishing guides on the island with your post implying they are not qualified to take this guy fishing.

Gaz

PS the guides at Pescador have not always been available to the general public they used to only be available to guide guests of El Pescador years back or maybe were just too busy to be able to take on outside guests. I know this as fact as I tried using them many times in days gone by. Abby Marin used to work there before he set up his own biz.

Last edited by Gaz Cooper; 06/12/10 12:02 AM.
P
P
Jeff or anyone else - where in town is Tres Pescados Shop. I seem to have missed it.

S
S
If you do not hire a guide, may I suggest the dock at Amigos Del Mar for bonefish and the dock at Sunset grill for tarpon. Otherwise, you should probably get a guide. (kidding here SuzyQ... those docks haver permanent/pet populations of those fish and are off limits to fishing.)

I know I do not need to explain this, but the fact that your husband IS an accomplished fisherman is all the MORE reason for hiring a guide. For those non-fluff-chuckers out there, a flats guide does a LOT more than drive and pole a skiff... they see the fish 99% of the time before you, know the tides, currents, local waters, know what the fish are receptive to, know when to stay at a spot and know when to move on. They're also usually skilled at crass conversation, tasteless jokes and polite insults when your casting skills (or lack there of) are such as mine. If I go out without a guide, whatever, no big deal as I LIVE here and heck, it's a day out on the water. If you're here for just a week, GET A GUIDE, as simply put, they will put you on fish. Also, presumably you are not bringing down your own boat? Yet another reason to hire a guide, as fishing by rented golf cart is not terribly productive.

Kre: El Pescador recently started actively welcoming their services to non guests (as evident by their new "Even if you don't stay with us, fish with us" ad campaign in the local papers as of late.) In the past you had to work around their busy schedule. This is a GREAT development, as the folks there are fantastic.

Enjoy the fishing!!! Check out the weekly fishing report (courtesy of El Pescador) that Marty posts on this board.

S
S
Phil:

Jim's shop, Tres Pescados Fly Shop, is just north of Belize bank, on the east side of front street... Right by Sunbreeze Suites. He's got a great selection at REALLY realistic prices. They also build custom rods and repair rods. It's a great addition to the island.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
1 members (JayinOhio), 128 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,029
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.