Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#379999 06/12/10 09:05 AM
OP Offline
my understanding is that, as of today, the clinic at Saga is closed indefinitely.

my understanding is that the island vet will not treat the saga animals or those of saga supporters. animals that do not have wallets will not be treated.

10 years of good for no reward but the the sake, welfare and safety of the animals - POOF - gone. this is just not right, people....

This is the saddest thing I have heard for a long time! I hope that it gets worked out, SAGA does such good work. Shame on this new island vet.

If this is all true, it is a crying shame. Does SAGA not have any funds with which to pay for the discounted vet services that were offered by the island vet specifically to SAGA? Surely SAGA has funds on account that donors would want to see used for the medical welfare of the animals under SAGA's control. WORK IT OUT PEOPLE!!!

i saw on facebook that they closed today, but i dont understand WHY they had to close? like, literally, how come? not leading anything here.....just truly i dont know why they had to close. can someone fill me on the missing piece?

S
S
The solution is simple. Have the private vet cover 75% of the operating costs of SAGA, less the cost to SAGA for having a vet on staff. In addition to that the private vet would have to maintain the same level of free spay/neuters per month, maintain the same level of subsidised veterinary care that SAGA does and provide veterinary care for all animals in the shelter at no charge.

OK, I am posting a reply so as to clarify things a bit for all:

Due to Saga's inability to obtain a license for its new Vet, it cannot operate as a veterinary clinic. It is very important that Saga does not work outside of the laws of Belize. Saga very much appreciates the outpouring of support from the community and would like to assure all concerned that we are doing everything in our power to change the situation. You can help by signing the online petition http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/savesagahumanesociety/.

In the meantime, Saga is still open for the rescue and shelter of animals and have some products available in our shelter shop.

Last edited by AriTrejo; 06/12/10 12:40 PM.
Thanks Ari. I have signed the petition. Can you please tell us what SAGA plans to do for vet treatment for the animals in need of same, in the interim? Will SAGA refer animals to the island vet practice?

Last edited by iluvbelize; 06/12/10 12:50 PM.
That does not sound simple to me Simon. What does sound simple is for SAGA to refer all sick or injured animals under its control to the private vet for treatment at discounted fees. SAGA has funds that it received from donors to cover this treatment. Donations to cover the supplies and expenses for free spay/neuters performed by the private vet as pro bono work could be made via the SPAF and/or FOSP.

OP Offline
Originally Posted by iluvbelize
WORK IT OUT PEOPLE!!!

...and believe it or not, here we agree. also, believe it or not, i am talking with the other parties to see if there can be a compromise worked out.
what i'm not sure understand is why there is not room on the island for the 2 vets - both Dr Droke AND the saga vet?

S
S
Have you not read what percentage of the operating costs of SAGA are covered by the in-house vet fees. Do you really think that in even the best of times they could possibly cover those costs by donations? If they could they would.

I don't take issue with SAGA hiring its own vet. I am only concerned that animals are going without because of the feuding among people. Even with all of the 'bad blood' between the two entities, it can be put aside to reach a solution until such time SAGA is able to employ a vet. SAGA has funds to pay the private vet's discounted rates. Maybe this is not what SAGA wants to do - I am sure they do not want to pay Laurie anything because 'they don't like her anymore' but seriously people, wake up and serve the needs of those innocent animals!

Originally Posted by SimonB
Have you not read what percentage of the operating costs of SAGA are covered by the in-house vet fees. Do you really think that in even the best of times they could possibly cover those costs by donations? If they could they would.

I really think that SAGA has enough funds to continue operating as a shelter and to pay discounted vet fees to the private vet until such time as SAGA may employ its own vet (which SAGA never seems to be able to treat properly or retain for any length of time due to its mismanagement of a clinical practice).

S
S
Maybe you should make an appointment to see the books before you make such a statement.

OP Offline
Originally Posted by iluvbelize
I don't take issue with SAGA hiring its own vet. I am only concerned that animals are going without because of the feuding among people. Even with all of the 'bad blood' between the two entities, it can be put aside to reach a solution until such time SAGA is able to employ a vet. SAGA has funds to pay the private vet's discounted rates. Maybe this is not what SAGA wants to do - I am sure they do not want to pay Laurie anything because 'they don't like her anymore' but seriously people, wake up and serve the needs of those innocent animals!

again, here i agree. (not so sure about the funds part, tho, or what the 'discounted rate' is. some free donation of her time in exchange for referrals would be a compromise idea too.)

LMAO now that is rich! I have attempted to 'see the books' with no success whatsoever, as have many of my friends. I stand by my statement in any regard.

I'm not suggesting SAGA pay to take all its animals into see the private vet - only those in need of medicine or treatment until SAGA has another visiting pro bono vet onsite to do mass spay/neuters again. For SAGA to allow one animal to suffer due to its refusal to refer it to the private vet is just awful. So far, no one from SAGA or its supporters have stated what SAGA intends to do with regard to referring or getting sick or injured animals treatment. Is it now SAGA's policy not to pay Laurie Droke one penny even if it means life or death or suffering or treatment to an animal?

Agreed Jane. Laurie did do something like 40 free spay neuters in January... of course that already shaky relationship with SAGA has totally burned to the ground after the chicanery SAGA engaged in trying to sabotage her new vet practice, trying to have her deported, arrested, stealing and vandalizing her clinic signs, etc. That aside, I still think both groups could put the animals first and the discounted rates were affordable - i could be wrong but I think the spay was discounted to $50 BZ and a neuter to $30 BZ or something like that. I believe SAGA simply will not pay her a dime out of spite - which sux for the animals.

I suggested that donations be made to FOSP and earmarked for spay/neuter by the SPAH - that way SAGA would not have to pay but they would have to take sick and injured animals to the private vet - which i'm not even sure they would do - they refused to refer a sick dog just last week that by the time Laurie saw the dog, it was too late and it died unnecessarily.

Peter Jones posted this earlier - it is a letter from Dr. Droke, the private vet with a surgical clinic in San Pedro. Apparently she sent it on Monday to as many SAGA officials as she could identify. It sure looks like she is willing to put animals needs first over feuding. As a licensed vet she has the ethical charge to report illegal activities to preserve the strength of the licensing of all vets in Belize. She has also stated she has offered discounted rates of medical treatment and free spay/neuter services from time to time.

Hi,

I'm sorry to send this to so many people. I am only guessing at who the Saga Board of Directors is now composed of. I think it is important for you to know that one of your patients, who was treated by Ingrid on Saturday, died in my hosptial last night. By the time I saw him it was way too late. He was severely anemic with a Hct of 7%. Normal is 40%. The owners told me that your vets were too busy on Saturday so Ingrid treated him. They said that she barely even looked at him and sent home some pills. He was very sick and had been for some time. The owner showed me the pills. They were not even labeled with what they were. One I recognized as some ancient Deramaxx which are so old they are decomposing and do not even resemble tablets any more. I do not know if they were charged or given for free, but obviously this is malpractice.

I do not know why this patient was not referred to me. I am much better equipped than the Saga clinic and this client could afford it. If you are so busy that you are overwhelmed, why is Ingrid practicing veterinary medicine instead of sending clients who can afford it to a real vet?

At some point your actions are hurting animals, not helping them, and you really need to reassess your crusade against me. I am not against humane societies. I think that Saga has done a great job over the last 10 years at improving the condition of the dog population here. However, Saga has not done well at taking care of people's pets. Your clinic has always struggled at staying properly equipped. When I arrived it had almost nothing. You cannot justify hurting other people's pets to support your humane society work. I know that you have seen how other humane societies work. They function just fine without trying to be a full-service vet clinic. I wish you would consider the possibility that Saga has its limits of what it can do well. Saga has always tried to do too much because there was no other veterinary care here. Things have changed and if your organization continues to try to fight this progress it will only be to the detriment of your organization and the people and animals you are trying to serve. Your position that San Pedro Animal Hospital should not exist is just frankly wrong. I am offering services that Saga has never been able to offer and I am saving animals' lives.

Once again, I fully support your work as a humane society. I have offered you discounts and free spays and neuters. I have not damaged any signs that belong to the humane society despite your group's repeated vandalism of mine. But I will continue to complain to the Veterinary Board as long as you continue to function in a way which is illegal and is hurting people's pets. If you do choose to continue to run a full service vet clinic IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to refer patients to me when they can afford it and you cannot properly diagnose and treat them. If you cannot handle this responsibility you should not be running a full-service veterinary hospital.

This is not personal, despite all my personal issues with the people at Saga. You can choose to believe what you want about me personally. But I think it is time for you to move past this and do the right thing for your community. I will continue to make formal complaints against Saga Humane Society to the Veterinary Board as long as you continue illegal activities. If this means you are having trouble gettinig licenses for your vets you need to stop blaming Peter and take a look at your own methods of operation. I know that there are a lot of people that will believe your position as the generous charity against the money-grubbing private clinic run by the evil Pedro. But this does not make your position true. I just hope that more people's pets will not suffer before you realize that the way you are working is wrong.

Sincerely,
Laurie Droke, DVM

OP Offline
(this is to your post above the letter:)
...and i heard the something like that but in a totally different way. that's why i dont want to, will not and can not get into the he said she said. i believe they both probably acted childishly.

in my fantasy world, i'd love them put all the past behind - as i am sure there were major mishandlings of situations from both parties - and sit down & bang out a compromise, for the animals' sake. kum-by-ya and all that.

but again, can someone explain why dr laura (the new vet - did i get her name right?) can't get permission to practice? i don't really understand...

I'd love to see them reach a compromise.

I think Laurie Droke is extending an olive branch to treat the animals, begging that SAGA STOP INGRID FROM PRACTICING VET MEDICINE, and put the animals' needs first by referring them to proper medical care. SAGA is not even referring those who can pay for vet services to Laurie out of spite.

I think the Vet Board is and has been reticent to give anything more than limited licenses to most of the country's humane society vets (all of them not just SAGA). SAGA has compounded this issue by having Ingrid give out meds and illegally practice vet medicine on sick vulnerable animals when there is in fact a licensed vet available.

At one time we all had to engage in medically treating our own animals and some of the strays because there was no viable alternative and thank God there was some euthanol around to put down suffering terminally ill or injured animals in an emergency when Dr. DeShield was not available to fly over from the city, and more than a handful of spay/neuters were done by nurses and lay people out of desperate necessity. But that was over a decade ago, things have totally changed - there is a top notch surgical clinic and vet on the island. A return to the dark ages is so unnecessary!

P
P
I believe SAGA is now referring appropriate cases to the private SPAH clinic.

I have already been demonised by some people for my determination to tread a middle ground here. For the record, I very greatly want SAGA to survive and continue its invaluable humane society and animal shelter work and I have no objection whatsoever to them having their own unrestricted licensed vet if that is what they feel they need. I have accordingly signed the petition - though I still harbour doubts about how much influence that petition will carry.

Contrary to some people's belief, I have no hot line to the "dark lord", but I believe SPAH actually has no objection to SAGA having its own vet and I do not believe they have tried to persuade the Licensing Board not to approve one. I understand they have indeed written to the Board on a number of occasions, but each time was specifically to report illegal or unprofessional veterinary procedures being performed by unlicensed staff within SAGA.

Please sign the petition below if you would like to Save SAGA. SAGA cannot operate as a humane society without their clinic. They have a fully qualified vet (23 years of experience) sitting there unable to touch an animal because of complaints of 'unfair competition' by a private business, who wants SAGA to pay them instead - thus supporting their private, for profit business. SAGA gets 75% of its revenue from its clinic and needs their clinic to survive. Not to mention that Belizeans should have a choice. If you live on the mainland you can go to another vet if you want to. Please sign. Save SAGA and give Belizeans a choice. If SAGA goes under, poisoning of dogs will re commence.
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/savesagahumanesociety/

www.conchcreative.com
Belize Wedding Photography

Originally Posted by Peter Jones

but I believe SPAH actually has no objection to SAGA having its own vet and I do not believe they have tried to persuade the Licensing Board not to approve one. I understand they have indeed written to the Board on a number of occasions, but each time was specifically to report illegal or unprofessional veterinary procedures being performed by unlicensed staff within SAGA.

All the more reason for the Licensing Board to approve a licensed vet for SAGA.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

OP Offline
what other humane societies in belize other than saga have vets applying for license?

Good grief. I haven't had a chance to look at the board today until now. I haven't yet read this whole thread, only this first post.

This is the most ridiculous, outrageous and inflammatory thing I have ever heard in regards to this whole round of Saga war.

Laurie has never refused service or care to anybody or any animal in need.

If anybody believes that she would refuse care definitely does not know Laurie.

This is ridiculous.

This board belongs to Marty and he gets to say what stays and what goes - but please be aware that many people don't like Peter Lawrence (Laurie's boyfriend.) If that wasn't a fact no doubt this thread, along with similar threads would have been shut down a long time ago.

I will not waste my time and energy trying to counter the inflammatory accusations on this thread - it is not true.

If you cannot ascertain the FACTS I think you should refrain from commenting.

Originally Posted by sweetjane
my understanding is that, as of today, the clinic at Saga is closed indefinitely.

my understanding is that the island vet will not treat the saga animals or those of saga supporters. animals that do not have wallets will not be treated.

10 years of good for no reward but the the sake, welfare and safety of the animals - POOF - gone. this is just not right, people....

from peter jones:
I believe SPAH actually has no objection to SAGA having its own vet and I do not believe they have tried to persuade the Licensing Board not to approve one.

hahahaha peter you are being silly

From a friend, in a message from Laurie Droke:

"Needs of communities change over time, and San Pedro no longer needs Saga Humane Society to function as a private clinic."

"It is my understanding that veterinary boards exist to support real veterinarians, not humane societies."

any just for folks' information, i am getting a lot of messages saying thank you - for the board printing STRAIGHT UP what lots and lots of folks are thinking and saying about the ridiculous heavy handed attempts to deny SAGA a licensed vet.

and i have faith that the licensing board will do the right thing!

faith rewarded, three months later.....

Saga Humane Society is extremely happy to report that Dr. Lauren Henckel has just received her unrestricted, permanent license to practice at the Saga Humane Society Clinic. For any of you who would like to continue to support Saga and use the Clinic services, Dr. Henckel is able to treat any and all animals without restriction starting today.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 278 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.