Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#379999 06/12/10 09:05 AM
OP Offline
my understanding is that, as of today, the clinic at Saga is closed indefinitely.

my understanding is that the island vet will not treat the saga animals or those of saga supporters. animals that do not have wallets will not be treated.

10 years of good for no reward but the the sake, welfare and safety of the animals - POOF - gone. this is just not right, people....

This is the saddest thing I have heard for a long time! I hope that it gets worked out, SAGA does such good work. Shame on this new island vet.

If this is all true, it is a crying shame. Does SAGA not have any funds with which to pay for the discounted vet services that were offered by the island vet specifically to SAGA? Surely SAGA has funds on account that donors would want to see used for the medical welfare of the animals under SAGA's control. WORK IT OUT PEOPLE!!!

i saw on facebook that they closed today, but i dont understand WHY they had to close? like, literally, how come? not leading anything here.....just truly i dont know why they had to close. can someone fill me on the missing piece?

S
S
The solution is simple. Have the private vet cover 75% of the operating costs of SAGA, less the cost to SAGA for having a vet on staff. In addition to that the private vet would have to maintain the same level of free spay/neuters per month, maintain the same level of subsidised veterinary care that SAGA does and provide veterinary care for all animals in the shelter at no charge.

OK, I am posting a reply so as to clarify things a bit for all:

Due to Saga's inability to obtain a license for its new Vet, it cannot operate as a veterinary clinic. It is very important that Saga does not work outside of the laws of Belize. Saga very much appreciates the outpouring of support from the community and would like to assure all concerned that we are doing everything in our power to change the situation. You can help by signing the online petition http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/savesagahumanesociety/.

In the meantime, Saga is still open for the rescue and shelter of animals and have some products available in our shelter shop.

Last edited by AriTrejo; 06/12/10 12:40 PM.
Thanks Ari. I have signed the petition. Can you please tell us what SAGA plans to do for vet treatment for the animals in need of same, in the interim? Will SAGA refer animals to the island vet practice?

Last edited by iluvbelize; 06/12/10 12:50 PM.
That does not sound simple to me Simon. What does sound simple is for SAGA to refer all sick or injured animals under its control to the private vet for treatment at discounted fees. SAGA has funds that it received from donors to cover this treatment. Donations to cover the supplies and expenses for free spay/neuters performed by the private vet as pro bono work could be made via the SPAF and/or FOSP.

OP Offline
Originally Posted by iluvbelize
WORK IT OUT PEOPLE!!!

...and believe it or not, here we agree. also, believe it or not, i am talking with the other parties to see if there can be a compromise worked out.
what i'm not sure understand is why there is not room on the island for the 2 vets - both Dr Droke AND the saga vet?

S
S
Have you not read what percentage of the operating costs of SAGA are covered by the in-house vet fees. Do you really think that in even the best of times they could possibly cover those costs by donations? If they could they would.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.