Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#380349 06/14/10 10:52 PM
M
OP Offline
M
I have suggested a town meeting to explore dredging, off shore drilling and other environmental concerns. I hope to hear back from the Town Board soon. I intend to invite speakers from the environmental community to explain some of these issues to everyone, maybe have a mini referendum at the end of the meeting. If the Board decides not to sponsor/endorse the meeting I will make every effort to get it going anyway. Would only need the location. Its time we got all this stuff up front.

If the town council won't do it maybe ACCSD or the SP Bussiness Association would.
Good idea Mike!

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
ScubaLdy #380455 06/15/10 02:36 PM
P
P
What's the point? We've had meetings at which fundamental issues have been recognised and talked about, and then nothing. We all know that corruption at various levels is at the root of what is wrong here but no-one wants to risk standing up and being recognised. I don't see anything substantial changing here, and that statement saddens me. What reaction has there been to Peter Verrals' damning posts in the Business Forum (which I know not everyone can see)? The predictable wringing of hands, followed by sustained and vigorous inaction.

M
OP Offline
M
We have to keep trying. Recent pressure has made the SPTC, Mayor and Minister a bit defensive which means it must have some effect. They are saying there are just a few who agree. Jr has said that he will do what ever the community says. I would like to put on something like the presentation at the Radisson but cover dredging as well.
See if we can get public support. There are a lot of San Pedranos that are born here that are not happy with the state of affairs either, in fact I have not talked to one that likes what is going on here. Most say without prompting that people are taking money. Thats from both Red and Blue. Maybe if we can get some type of referendum they will listen if not we can use it against them in the next elections.
Yes its time to stand up. I know I am not too popular in some circles right now but so what?
I am not a member of any group and the groups have made no real effort to bring any of this to the public attention and in my opinion dropped the ball on the master plan issue.
We have a formidable task concerning the off shore drilling as both parties favor it. Thats why you have heard so little from the "opposition" party here. If we dont speak up we will have no chance. If we could make a strong enough showing so Jr. would have to represent it to cabinet it could make a difference when added to all the other efforts.
Most definitely we can get a meeting going, I am hoping the Town Board is involved. Mike

P
P
Don't get me wrong Mike, I'll be there. I just don't feel confident in any positive outcome.

M
OP Offline
M
Unfortunately, history supports your position, but I know that going in.

M
OP Offline
M
ACCSD has gotten the prentation together. It will not have the impact of a town meeting but will be really great. Just what I was hoping for. I hope the Sunbreeze proves too small here is a copy of their posting if you have not seen it. If there's enough interest maybe we can have it again in a larger venue.

Ambergris Caye Citizens for Sustainable Development.
Invites you to learn more about the proposed Oil drilling offshore and in protected areas

WHEN: Tuesday, June 22, 2010 - 5:00pm
WHERE: The Sunbreeze Hotel Conference Room

WHO: Melanie McField, Healthy Reefs Initiative
Audrey Matura-Shepherd, Oceana
Edilberto Romero, APAMO

Amelita Knowles - Belpo

Will tell us about the ecology, economics, and law of offshore Oil drilling in Belize

Amelita Knowles, Belize Institute for Environmental Law and Policy (BELPO) will present a Guide to Public Participation in Belize

YOUR VOICE MATTERS! BRING FIVE FRIENDS!

Everybody come.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 288 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.