Ambergris Caye Caye Caulker HELP! Visitor Center Businesses
BelizeNews.com BelizeSearch.com BelizePhotographs.com Lodging

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#381759 06/27/10 05:54 PM
sharzee Offline OP
OP Offline
Caye Caulker Lobster Fest has reschedule their festival for July 10 and 11 2010! We are asking for everybody to please cooperate and work along with us! We can't fight mother nature. smile

Stephanie Arce Crowned Miss Lobster Fest CC

The Miss Lobster Festival Pageant in Caye Caulker was about the only event that was not canceled between the two neighboring islands of La Isla Bonita and La Isla Cari�osa as Tropical Storm Alex made its way through Belize over the weekend. And the island residents of Caye Caulker got to celebrate the crowning of their new Lobster Fest Queen just before the weather went from bad to worse. Stephanie Arce was crowned the new Miss Lobster Fest.

But the rest of the weekend's scheduled Lobster Fest activates in Caye Caulker were dampened by Tropical Storm Alex; the festival has been moved to the weekend of July 10 and 12.

Nevertheless, the pageant was a colorful one, filled with music, dance, bright-colored gowns and talent. Below are the awards presented to the contestants:

*1st Runner up - Miss Norielle Sandoval
*Miss Photogenic - Stephanie Arce - chosen by committee
*Miss Amity - Miss Ricardina Alcala - chosen by contestants via secret ballot.
*Miss Popularity - Miss Norielle Sandoval - chosen by community through ticket purchases from contestants.
*Miss Creativity - Miss Norielle Sandoval - Chosen by random spectators for best dressed delegate floats for motorcade.

Winner received:
*Crown and Sash to keep - sponsored by Caye Caulker Lobster Fest Pageant Committee.
*Bouquet of Flowers sponsor by Barrier Reef Cable Station.
*$4000.00 Scholarship package to be used as education fund.
*An overnight stay for two at the Victoria House in San Pedro, Ambergris Caye.
*100 internet hours to be used for educational purposes sponsored by Caye Board Connections.
*Couture dress sponsored by Mr. Emil Alvarez designer who designed the eveningwear for all contestants. *Photo Shoot by Conch Creative - San Pedro - package worth $350.00
*Gift basket of beauty products and supply sponsored by pageant committee.

The pageant committee sends thanks to Master of Ceremonies Mr. William Neal, Judges - Ms. Janet Woolam, Ms. Leila Pandy and Mr. Kelvin Ramnarace; designers - Ms. Chantel Marin of Caye Caulker for description of dresses, Mr. Gabriel Garcia of Orange Walk for Costumes, Mr. Emil Alvarez of Orange Walk for Evening Gowns.

Special thanks to sponsors: Alberto Villanueva Jr., Hol Chan Marine Reserve, BTB, Rainbow Grill & Bar, Pelican Point & Marina, Caye Caulker Water Taxi Accociation, San Pedro Belize Express, Lazy Lizard, GRACE Kennedy Belize LTD., Caye Caulker Village Council, Purple Passion Salon, Hon. Manuel Heredia, Caye Board Connection and Conch Creative.

Official hotel sponsors: Rainbow Hotel, Sea Side Caba�a, De Real Macaw, Sea Dream , Iguana Reef Inn, Caye Caulker Plaza and Caye Caulker Condos. Thanks to our special friends from Ambergris Today and San Pedro Sun for promoting our pageant and all those Sanpedranos who supported our scholarship program.

Ambergris Today

Caye Caulker Lobster Fest back on track

The Caye Caulker Lobster Festival should was scheduled for last weekend. But Tropical Storm Alex changed those plans and the festivities had to be postponed on the day the crustacean should have been cooking on grills. The rains might have put a damper on the island but the chairman of the Caye Caulker Lobster Festival, Porfelio Guzman, said that the event will make its comeback very soon.

Via Phone: Porfelio Guzman, Chairman, Caye Caulker Lobster Fest

"On Saturday we were trying to have the opening but we were monitoring the weather through the internet and everything. And I was getting calls up to about three, four o’clock the morning asking me if there was still going to be a lobster fest because I don't know which radio station was saying that Caye Caulker Lobster Fest was cancelled. I said I don't know how comes it's gonna be cancelled because no word has come to me yet. I told my members lets hold on and wait. So on Saturday morning, which was the twenty-sixth, at six in the morning I went on the internet and we were watching that the weather was right over us Belize. Right away I told them lets cancel this for a later date. We called the radio station right away and they put it over the air and so comes we cancelled it. Two, three days ago we sat down and decided on another date and we decided to put it on the tenth and eleventh of July."

Jose Sanchez

"What should we expect on this new date on site, sounds and aromas?"

Via Phone: Porfelio Guzman

"On this new date I think hopefully that we're going to have better weather and I just hope that I get all my Belizean people to go out and support our lobster fest because our lobster fest that we have been doing for the last sixteen years, we have already successful a lot because whatever we do we return it back into the community."

Because the fest is a popular yearly event, people who are interested in attending should start to book rooms at the island's hotels.

Channel 5

CAYE CAULKER PREPARES FOR LOBSTERFEST

The Caribbean Spiny lobster is the main attraction at this year's 16th annual Caye Caulker Lobsterfest slated for July 10th and 11th. The rains of tropical storm Alex had caused the festival to be postponed earlier but according to Caye Caulker Lobsterfest committee member, Mathew Badillo, the festival is on in full swing and the island is welcoming visitors with open arms to its shores. Matt Badillo spoke to Love News who told us what we can expect over the weekend

Matthew Badillo; Caye Caulker Lobsterfest Committee Member

"For this year's lobsterfest what we've done is split the days into two days; Saturday is catered only to kids and Sunday we will be hosting games and activities just for the adults. So Lobsterfest is something for the entire family, it's a family event and we encourage people to bring out there whole family. We have games, food, music, entertainment for everybody. We try to cater for everybody young and old so we split the days into two days, one day for the kids one day for adults so that everybody can come out and have some fun at the Caye Caulker Lobster fest."

Ever since, the Lobster Festival has been celebrated every year and each year, it becomes bigger and better organized. Highlights  every year include the Grand Opening Ceremonies, displays of live Lobsters, weighing of the biggest Lobster brought in by local fishermen, the main dance event hosted on Saturday night, and of course all sorts of delicious and mouth watering succulent Lobster dishes. The atmosphere at Lobster Fest is always a festive one with fun activities and enjoyment for everyone, from the youngest to the oldest member of the family. Badillo explained how the festival came about.

Matthew Badillo

"The Caye Caulker Lobsterfest started about 16 years ago from the Caye Caulker veteran football club; they came up with the idea to have this festival to represent something for the island which is the lobster, which is the main income earner at that time for the Caye Caulker. This year, it makes 16 years of the festival and we are trying to improve each and every year. At this time I would just encourage the public to come out and experience the Caye Caulker Lobsterfest; it's a whole different experience from the other lobster fests. We try to have a little something for everybody and it's a family event so come out bring out your family for some enjoyment."

The income generated from the festival is shared with the Village Council and the school for the betterment of the island. Today, Caye Caulker Lobster Fest is still the number one event on the island and has attracted international attention from many countries. There will be lots of succulent lobster dishes, fun and music for the entire family.

LOVE FM

Lobsterfest: Don't Call It A Comeback

It got delayed by Tropical Storm Alex 2 weeks ago, but Caye Caulker's Lobster Fest was on again this weekend. Tourist and Locals made their annual pilgrimage the island to take part in the long standing tradition. But it's no so much custom as it is appetite because who would pass up an opportunity to indulge in the most exquisite lobster dishes? Monica Bodden didn't and she has this report.

It was a festive weekend on the island of Caye Caulker as Lobster Fest 20-10 was underway. And even though Tropical Storm Alex had forced a postponement of the event, there was no stopping this tradition that's been going for 16 years.

Miguel Neal - Organizer
"The Fest was started 16 years ago and it's a fund raiser for the Island. 50% of the proceeds goes to a worthy cause which for this year again like last years' is going to the primary school, to build a new classroom and the other 50% stays for the following years to come to do another lobster fest."

Belizeans and tourists lined the beachfront to join in on the annual celebrations. Music was everywhere from the Pan Tempers Steel Band along with a wide variety of D.J.'s - while the aroma of grilled lobster wafting from the bar-b-que pit was enough to make anyone's mouth water.

Monica Bodden
"Now, you serve this thing with what?"

Roger Martinez - Cook
"Well, we serve this with like rice and beans, coleslaw, steam veggies or flour tortilla or beans or what so ever."

Monica Bodden
"And something that big cost how much?"

Roger Martinez - Cook
"For BZ$25.00."

Francine Martinez - Cook
"The key to it is fresh of course, we mix up like 8 different seasonings, then I put it on the grill and then its finish. We put either garlic butter sauce or bar-b-que sauce on it and it comes with my delicious homemade coconut rice and beans and potato salad. Everything homemade."

Monica Bodden
"Now this is something that you have been doing every lobster fest or?"

Francine Martinez - Cook
"This is my second year but I have my own place out on the beach, I've been doing that for 8 years."

Monica Bodden
"So you got your fresh lobster ready for this weekend?"

Francine Martinez - Cook
"See they are still jumping (laughing)."

Monica Bodden
"And you'll be out here for the 2 days?"

Francine Martinez - Cook
"Yes, I'll be here from today until tomorrow until everything is gone."

Monica Bodden
"Now tell me about the prices, what are the prices like for your lobster?"

Francine Martinez - Cook
"The Lobster, it depends on the size, some range at $20 Belize some at $25, the bigger ones I would sell for $30 Belize and you'd be surprise people buy it."

Monica Bodden
"And it's well worth it."

Francine Martinez - Cook
"You said it!"

Steven Arnold
"I have whole lobster; I am going to be selling it with mash potatoes, corn and white rice and garlic bread."

Monica Bodden
"What time are you going to start putting these lobsters on the grill?"

Steven Arnold
"4:00 O'clock this evening."

Monica Bodden
"Now, I mean I am passing a lot of places that have lobster on the grill, tell me what makes your one different?"

Steven Arnold
"Well, I have been doing this for 16 years, I am on the internet I am on the You Tube, I am on all the guide books and you know what the international language says, that never trust a skinny shelve, as you can see I am a fat and not skinny so you can trust me."

And the price for a plate of food didn't quite seem to matter for most people- since it didn't stop them from buying

Monica Bodden
"Now Sheryl, is this your first time at lobster fest?"

Sheryl Praetor - Tourist
"Yes it is."

Monica Bodden
"How is it so far?"

Sheryl Praetor - Tourist
"It's wonderful; it's amazing, the food is so good."

Monica Bodden
"Now, what do you have there, grill lobster?"

Sheryl Praetor - Tourist
"I have the grill lobster, rice and beans and potato salad."

Monica Bodden
"And you are enjoying it?"

Sheryl Praetor - Tourist
"Love it."

Monica Bodden
"Now, have you ever tasted lobster with this flavour before?"

Sheryl Praetor - Tourist
"No, never."

Monica Bodden
"First time?"

Sheryl Praetor - Tourist
"First time, very fresh, melts in your mouth."

Monica Bodden
"Just tell me how is the lobster?"

Interviewee
"Unbelievable, very good, thanks you very much, wonderful country you have."

Monica Bodden
"You guys are from where?"

Interviewee
"Texas."

Monica Bodden
"You ever have something like this?"

Interviewee
"No, never, we need to get out more, this is nice."

Monica Bodden
"Your first time here on the Island?"

Interviewee
"Yes it is."

Monica Bodden
"Enjoying yourselves?"

Interviewee
"Absolutely, we picked Caye Caulker just because of the laid back atmosphere. Thank you very much."

Monica Bodden
"Ever thought you would have been meeting the lobster fest?"

Interviewee
"This is a surprise to us. It was postponed, now we are here, we are lucky people."

Monica Bodden
"You ladies enjoying your lunch?"

Interviewee
"It's really good, yeah, I haven't had lobster like this before so it's great."

Interviewee
"It's delicious, and this is a lot of fun. The lobster fest is great."

Monica Bodden
"I mean, this lobster looks spectacular, how is it for you guys?"

Interviewee
"Fantastic, my first time with lobster, fantastic."

Monica Bodden
"And it's your first time?"

Interviewee
"No, and it's my favourite food I love it."

Monica Bodden
"Now, have you ever tasted it how its cook here in Caye Caulker?"

Interviewee
"In England its very different, it has cheese on it, it's called lobster thermidor, I like this, it's very nice."

And while lobster was the main attraction on the island this weekend - it wasn't the only thing on the grill- in fact there was a wide variety of meats.

Cook
"I have like Gibnut, chicken, lobster, ribs and porksteak."

And not just food, Lobster Fest 20-10 - had a line up of activities planned over the weekend for both young and old.

Miguel Neal - Organizer
"2010 lobster fest Caye Caulker includes D.Js from Miami for tonight we have a big dance going on with them, then during the day today we have D.J Clarence and Tag International, all the D.Js are backed up by Blue Steel. We have a lot of fun events that will be going on for the kids; watermelon eating contest, beer drinking contest going on tomorrow which is one of the main contest tomorrow and then one of the main attraction for the fisher men is who brings in the bigger lobster, wins the prize."

Interviewee
"Well, it's very good right now, lively, lots of people coming in and you know, this is our culture from ever since and we are doing good."

Interviewee
"We are having a great time; the steel bands are unbelievable."

Interviewee
"We love it; we are having a good time."

Interviewee
"We are so glad that it got pushed off tell this weekend, because we are here now."

Monica Bodden
"Have you guys had a chance to taste any of the lobster?"

Interviewee
"We are just coming out for lunch, just coming out to check it out."

Monica Bodden
"But the mood the feeling is..."

Interviewee
"Oh, I love it the steel drums, I've never seen anything like that so many steel drums playing all at the same time, they are all little kids."

Reporting for 7 News, Monica Bodden.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 353 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day