Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Sting Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Other than cost, is there more to keeping the beachfront property up than a 2nd row? Does one have to fill the beach if it erodes, and are there dock rebuild requirements after a storm? What about the fees associated with the docks, did that ever happen? I am looking at the two options and can't decide if the beacjfront would be the better option vs 2nd row....Thanks, Sting

In my opinion 2nd row would only be preferable if there were already structures built on the beach front and you can still have an unobstructed view of the beach. Don't know about any rebuild requirements although I am sure you wouldn't or at least shouldn't leave a pier or dock in such a state that it is a danger to the public. Resale value will almost always be higher for beach front even though it may actually be preferable to be just a bit away from the traffic that you often find on the beach.

Captain One Iron
S
S
For me a downside is "queen's way", which means that your beach is public property to walk on (if you have a pier this is also public property). Most people are respectful, but others? not so much. Examples are picking fruit/ coconuts without asking, digging up plants, sleeping on the pier, smoking weed - and this is a nice neighborhood!. If I owned on the beach I would be putting up a big privacy fence for security.

Yep The traffic on the beach is a real nuance and invasion of privacy.
Kate and i own the front lot but build our house on the back one. best situation, no one can build in front and were not molested by weirdos with machetes claiming they have a right to the beach of some sort because their a Belizean.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
Originally Posted by Sting
Other than cost, is there more to keeping the beachfront property up than a 2nd row? Does one have to fill the beach if it erodes, and are there dock rebuild requirements after a storm? What about the fees associated with the docks, did that ever happen? I am looking at the two options and can't decide if the beachfront would be the better option vs 2nd row....Thanks, Sting

To answer your question. no their isnt any requirement from anyone for you to fix erosion or repair your dock. No responsibilities in owning beach front. Dock fees drop in and out of existence from time to time and go up and down in cost with out any logic, an unorganized and vague understanding of who is responsible for what.
'In the absence of good government one must govern themselves'
a good rule to live by down here.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
As a woman, i significantly prefer second row. First, just keeping up with the sea grass and trash on the beach is a full time job, and i have enough trouble with the pine needles on my lot....let alone raking every day.

Second, the buildings in front of me block hurricanes smile I feel all snuggly and safe behind on row two.

S
S
Sting, absolutely nothing wrong with 2nd row except of course the view, unless you can afford the double lots like Elbert did. Just as an investor, IMO, at this time on AC, if you can afford ocean front, go for it. Of course talk to a reputable realtor on the island to guide you. With an ocean front lot, you can always set your house back a little with a few coconut trees in front to keep beach walkers from being too close, or just buy in an area where that's not an issue.

L
L
We live on the beach front, and would buy beachfront again if investing. I would miss having an unobstructed view of the the sea and we rarely use ac with the the breeze. 2nd. row can have advantages for storms, but remember hurricane Keith which came from the back side. We get beach walkers, but they don't cause much problem, no vehicles travel the beach in our area fortunatly as that would be a problem. We put in a low hedge of shore plant that defines the walking path and it seems to discourage most people from wandering up close to the house. Still think beach front is the best investment.

R.B. Mernitz
L
L
We live on the beach front, and would buy beachfront again if investing. I would miss having an unobstructed view of the the sea and we rarely use ac with the the breeze. 2nd. row can have advantages for storms, but remember hurricane Keith which came from the back side. We get beach walkers, but they don't cause much problem, no vehicles travel the beach in our area fortunatly as that would be a problem. We put in a low hedge of shore plant that defines the walking path and it seems to discourage most people from wandering up close to the house. Still think beach front is the best investment.

R.B. Mernitz
S
Sting Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thanks for all the input... It seems that the price difference of a beach front vs the 2nd row would definitely buy alot of toys for a 2nd row home. I guess I am still undecided if the extra investment will be worth it in the long run. I guess I will keep perusing the properties and see what feels right!!!

Thanks, Sting

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.