PM’s Last letter to Bar on CJ matter

Since the Prime Minister announced that the Chief Justice’s contract will not be renewed there has been a stir from the Bar Association questioning the Prime Minister’s decision. Thereafter they began to correspond with the Prime Minister asking that they be part of a selection committee to decide who the next Chief Justice will be. In a bold move on June 17th the Bar’s president went so far as nominating a Judicial Committee in which she would serve as an ex-officio member along with (PUP) attorneys Derek Courtenay, Fred Lumor, Phillip Zuniga and Andrew Marshalleck. In her letter Jacqueline Marshalleck as that the committee “be allowed to meet prospective applicants” and “make due and careful inquiries concerning the applicant.” The Prime Minister replied on June 18th pointing out that the Constitution does not allow for what Marshalleck asked and explained that he would not deviate from the process as set out in the Constitution.

The matter however appears did not end there as on June 23rd, again the Bar’s president once again wrote to the PM in which she says that the selection of the current Chief Justice was done so with consultation with the Bar. It is noteworthy that there is no evidence that this actually took place as memory will recall that no such consultation was ever made public. Nonetheless the Prime Minister responded stating that “I … stand by my initial response to your request.” He concludes that “I have tried always to be courteous to, and accommodating of, the Bar Committee. But I will answer no further correspondence on this matter.

It would appear that if the Prime Minister had not taken this position, the continuous back and forth with letters would have continued to no end. While the Bar has taken on the role of guard to the judiciary it should be noted that when the PUP first came to office they unceremoniously booted the then duly appointed Chief Justice with the use of the police department who forcefully evicted him from his office. The then Bar association had little to say about that.
Live and let live