Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#383973 - 07/17/10 11:21 AM First time visit questions.
mdrobtx Offline
We discovered AC in Jan when we flew over for the day from a cruise ship. We said, Ohhhh!, we gotta come back to this place. So....Sept is when we're coming.
Gotta few questions though.

I see we're going to be there for the Independence Day. What can we expect and what should we not miss during the celebration?

Also it will be a full moon that week. Any full moon parties happening?

Where is the best place to purchase a sim card? We have the correct phone for use on AC.

FOOTBALL. The NFL and college football will be in action. Any sports bars that might have a game on that I can at least check the scores?

I've learned from this site that the golf carts are under the same laws as driving a car. But...do they have an open container law? The wife hardly drinks and will be my designated driver but can I have a drink in my hand while we're cruising around?

And just in case, where is the nearest American Embassy or consulate?

And a thanks to all of you of this forum that share information and make planning a trip to AC such an easy task.

Michael, Fort Worth, TEXAS

#383974 - 07/17/10 11:34 AM Re: First time visit questions. [Re: mdrobtx]
collyk Offline
Hi Michael,

It is wonderful that you have fallen in love with La Isla Bonita. Independence Day in San Pedro is great fun. You'll want to see the parades, go to the block party and watch the fireworks. The organisers often to not advertise the details of the events until much closer to the date, but you'll hear about them here and on the local newspaper blogs you see links to on your right hand side on this page.

One thing you will see is that everyone proudly flies the Belize flag from their homes and golf carts. If there are full moon parties, you'll have to find out closer to the date. You'll find that in Belize that there is little sense of urgency about most things, so it is best not to try to plan in advance but just roll with the flow.

Sea Turtle, BTL, C's Phones and Cellular World are all on Middle Street and you should be able to purchase a sim card cheaply at one of those locations.

There are several sports bars here, Cholo's being one of the more popular. During big games, lots of bars show them on their TV's. Just ask around when you get here and you'll find out where the action will be for sure.

Drink driving is most definitely an offence. I am not sure about open drink containers though. I have seen the police stop tourists who were driving with bottles of beer in their hands, but I would think it is unlikely you would be stopped if the passenger is drinking. Just be sensible and respectful and you'll have no problems.

The nearest American Embassy is in Belmopan on the Belize mainland.

I hope you have a wonderful experience visiting Belize and that you'll want to come back again and again like most of our visitors.
Belize Wedding Photography

#383977 - 07/17/10 01:11 PM Re: First time visit questions. [Re: collyk]
Chloe Offline
Colly very good and pleasant answers, and information.
Dare To Deviate

#383978 - 07/17/10 01:27 PM Re: First time visit questions. [Re: Chloe]
Barnacle Offline
colly prolly meant 'drunk' driving,, not 'drink' driving

#383982 - 07/17/10 02:02 PM Re: First time visit questions. [Re: Barnacle]
mdrobtx Offline
Thanks for the response.

Won't be doing any drinking and driving but while the wife is driving I wouldn't mind having a cocktail in a cup.

#383985 - 07/17/10 04:24 PM Re: First time visit questions. [Re: mdrobtx]
sandyb Offline
I think you'll find SP and it's people very laid back and accepting, just be respectful in return and you'll have a great time with no problems. Full moon on the island is our favorite time as well!
Paradise Gallery & Frame San Pedro, AC

"Custom Framing & Art Gallery featuring local Artisans"

#383986 - 07/17/10 04:35 PM Re: First time visit questions. [Re: sandyb]
SnoopysMom Offline
AK'Bol usually has a full moon party each month with drumming, etc....

#383989 - 07/17/10 05:49 PM Re: First time visit questions. [Re: SnoopysMom]
lovey and thurston Offline
Don't know where your staying, but it is worth the drive to AK'Bol to have a drink and the full moon yoga etc. Lovely place and great people.
R.B. Mernitz

#383990 - 07/17/10 05:49 PM Re: First time visit questions. [Re: SnoopysMom]
lovey and thurston Offline
Don't know where your staying, but it is worth the drive to AK'Bol to have a drink and the full moon yoga etc. Lovely place and great people.
R.B. Mernitz

#383991 - 07/17/10 05:55 PM Re: First time visit questions. [Re: SnoopysMom]
Hon Offline
You should be aware that the full moon isn't really all that pretty in San Pedro. Full Moon Over The Reef

Edited by Hon (07/18/10 11:11 AM)
Edit Reason: added picture for those not inclined to click on the link
Newfoundlanders are the only people in heaven who want to go home.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (Marty), 75 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,635 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,717 Topics
461,256 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.