Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
T
T
Here is the system I recommend to most clients to help them decide where they want to be.

1) Spend a day with a realtor and look at properties in your price range in all the different areas of the island.

2) Rent a golf cart or if you have a lot of energy a bicycle and cruise around the island on your own to get a better feel for each of those areas.

3) Talk to people who live on the island and who share some of your common interests.

The above steps should help you to narrow down the areas of the island that you would be most comfortable with for both location and what you get for the money.

4) Focus your search on that area and don't get discouraged if you don't find something right away. Once you develop a relationship with a realtor he or she will continue to provide information on properties that come up for sale in the area.

Good luck. Ambergris Caye is a great place to live with plenty a quirks and characters. There is never a dull day here.

B
B
Hi guys. I am looking to retire in Belize in about 10 yrs. I wanted to hear from folks who have lived there for a while and what the lifestyle is like. Is there any night life on the island? What is the village of San Pedro like, what is the cost of living and the prices of groceries, access to medical...etc.

Also,can anyone recommend a good realtor who preferably is local to AC and with whom some of you may have worked personally? I have heard of local 3-7 day tour packages from other realtors to come down to Belize and see what options are available.

Thanks,
Ben

Hi Ben,

There are several bars and two nightclubs. There are also regular block parties and community events. It really depends on what you want from a nightlife.

San Pedro is not really a village but a small, booming little town. It has three main roads and a wide variety of shops, ranging from small holes in the wall selling local food and produce, to higher end shops selling imported goods and expensive alcohol. Again, it is all a matter of tastes. Groceries are generally expensive unless you are prepared to only purchase local goods and produce. Groceries are generally more expensive in San Pedro than they are in the USA. There are several doctors and a polyclinic on Ambergris Caye. The polyclinic does not offer over night stay facilities so you have to be transported to the mainland for medical emergencies. Should you want medical care superior to that provided in Belize, Merida and Guatemala City are popular choices.

There are other threads here about real estate companies. Do a search and you'll find loads of good advice and recommendations. My own advice is to visit several, get to know them and find one that suits your personality and style.

The best way to find out about what life is like in San Pedro is to try before you buy. Most people test drive a car before buying it and with an investment that is even bigger, like real estate, you really do need to get a feel of the place. 3-7 days is not even close to giving you a true perception.

The expats who seem to do the best are the ones that come with low expectations, a good cushion of money and spend several months to a year here before committing or buying property.

Ambergris Caye is a perfect fit for some people, but just like shoes, you may not find it fits at all.

www.conchcreative.com
Belize Wedding Photography

S
S
An excellent fair statement!

B
B
Thanks Collyk. I plan to spend a month in Dec-Jan this year in mainland Belize & AC and hope to learn as much as I can. Ofcourse I'll keep my expectations low, but I do want that dream of being able to mingle with the locals and at the same time be able to get away to my very own haven near the ocean. I sure hope I can find that one person/realtor with whom I can build a relationship in the near future. Thanks again Colly for your kindness in sharing your thoughts about San Pedro. Can't wait to get there.

Ben.

JZB Offline
Hi Ben65! The best way to know if you want to retire here is spend some time in different places around Belize and speak with people who have already made the move. There are plenty of them! The best real estate people on the island are at www.mlsambergriscaye.com. They have proven themselves trustworthy and all live on the island full time.

Best of luck!

I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I have never seen a true realtor offering 3-7 day package "tours" to come visit. Now certain "developers", that is a fish of a different color.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
P
P
Retiring in Belize is easier than you think.

Belize's low cost of living is enough to make it one of the world's greatest retirement havens. Belize has gone a step further by offering incentives to expatriates who want to retire in Belize.

Platinum Real Estate
www.platinumrealestate.biz
"The Strength of Teamwork-Reputation for Results"
Platinum you should check the spelling in your bottom line.

Captain One Iron
T
T
Me thinks PH is a realtor. Hey PH are you talking about the low cost of living here on Ambergris Caye?

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 149 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,198
Posts500,015
Members20,458
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.