Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#384598 07/27/10 01:45 AM
Short Offline OP
OP Offline
Dr. Gale's Research

[Linked Image] This morning's press conference by the Research Team of the Male Social Participation and Violence in Urban Belize Study presented its findings to a group made up of mostly members of the press, civil societies, and the Police. Dr. Herbert Gayle and his team's findings will no doubt come under scrutiny and become plenty of fodder for those who will likely say, "you aint telling me nothing new".

Jim McFadzean Reporting

While most of Dr. Gayles findings coming out of the 1 year research will come as no surprise to most Belizeans; some statements made on where the problems of this ailing society has its origin is revealing.

Dr. Herbert Gayle, Anthropologist
[Linked Image] "Belize has been developing accidentally. That is where the problem is."

Gayle was frank and didn't when he spoke about want to lack thereof good governance.

Dr. Herbert Gayle
"The governance needs to begin to have all entities because this cannot continue."

Two few resources and two little attention dedicated to the young people of this society equals trouble.

Dr. Herbert Gayle
"70% of your people are under the age of 35. You must have a ministry that represents 70% of your people."

Gayle says there is an undeclared war between the police and the youth of this country. And furthermore his research found no social distance between te police and the criminals.

Dr. Herbert Gayle
"Young men told me when Operation Jaguar started they said 'Dads let me tell you straight up, long time we are begging then to carry a full war' because we ready. If you have a bad police force; the entire government is bad because it's the face of the state. It's the part of the state that young men see every single day. They don't see the government, they see a police officer. When I spoke to police officers and I said to them 'your hustle is done' straight up, because this is research and everybody say [nodding]. It's logical that you must hustle."

Aside from some striking indictments made of the Belize Police Force Gayle made the observation that there is a wide gap between the poorly trained police and the judiciary.

Dr. Herbert Gayle
"No conviction at this time. Why no conviction at this time? Because the judiciary is extremely learnt, they are at this point yes working with a police department that really is struggling. The gap between these 2 groups is just absolutely too much of a gulf and a chasm for them to even work together."

And then Dr. Gayle made this one final interesting revelation.

Dr. Herbert Gayle
"The other crisis we saw was enormous amount of plans all over Belize. Every time I pick up a book that says plan, absolutely fabulous, but then there is a disconnect between these plans and this thing call implementation. we found a lot of stuff, I went online and look, they are well written and I know that are sponsor by lovely people, but then there is a disconnect."

Reporting for 7 News I am Jim McFadzean.

Dr. Herbert Gayle, an anthropologist of social violence, was brought in to assess the situation and update upper level stake holders.

http://www.7newsbelize.com/sstory.php?nid=17424

Live and let live
Short Offline OP
OP Offline
Gale's Research Dissected

Earlier we brought you the finding presented by Doctor Herbert Gale and his research Team which was presented today at a Press Conference. Already the findings have drawn criticism. We bring you the comments from two people who were at that conference today.

Daedra Haylock, Director BTIA

[Linked Image] "There has been enough talk about it. We've heard it on the media houses. Joe has talk about it on his morning show. The morning shows have talk about it. Hearing it all in one full suit in this formal kind of setting; that's maybe new. I think what I find a little bit that I would want to know is you are focusing on these young men and they are telling you what their conditions are, in fact they don't even need to tell you, you just walk into their neighborhoods and you start seeing what the conditions are and you start extrapolating for what they must be experiencing in the home. What I think I would want to hear from the young men is ok we've gone this far on the negative run, how do we bring you back to the table? How do we bring you back to be a wholesome part of society? What is it you need from us? What kind of attention do you need? Yes we know that the housing situations need to be fix, we know that the economic opportunities need to be there, we know the education opportunities need to be there. But I guess what I would want to hear from the young men is all of these things are presented are you prepared to walk away from what you from what you are doing now? There must be some obvious benefits. He talks about the sale of the drugs on the street and the struggle for power among the young men. I would want to hear what will let you leave that? Will providing you education opportunities? Will providing economic opportunities? Would improving the conditions of your neighborhoods be strong enough to let you leave what you have already grown accustomed to."

Jim McFadzean
"Joe, the administration came under criticism. Specifically the educational system. One of the presenters said that it was structurally flaud. Any comment on the presentation on a whole and anything new coming out of this presentation, out of these findings?"

Joe Bradley, Wave Radio Talk Show Host
[Linked Image] "Ok one of the things I want to say that what we have heard today is nothing new. We've been talking about this for years. I've been hearing this for over 10 years so it's nothing new. One of the thing is that its brought to realization the problems but I think what is lacking from the whole thing is that if you have the problems what can we do to solve the problems? I think one of the things is that we need to look at the whole church state system; that needs to be revisited and another thing is that we need more supervision as it relates to the education system. I don't think the system has problems. It has work, I am a product of this education system, and I have a whole family, a successful family who is a product of this education system. I think it's the implementation is the problem."

The research covered more than two thousand interviewees.

http://www.7newsbelize.com/sstory.php?nid=17425

Live and let live

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.