Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
twiggy Offline OP
OP Offline
T
We are looking to rent a condo or villa. We have been told that there are more sand flies etc. south of San Pedro versus north of the town. Does anyone have any experience with this? Are there any other considerations for choosing between north and south? Any input will be greatly appreciated.

I wouldn't base my decision on more or less bugs. I would imagine it the same.
The North is quieter. the South has more people.
I'm prejudice ,i live in the North.
We go by ferry into town for dinner and entertainment then return home to the peace.
If we dont want to go to town we have 5 starr restaurants in walking distance.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
S
S
We have done both and like the north better its quieter and we found less dusty which was great for the sinuses. Both are lovely but vote like elbert is for the north.

T
T
I tend to disagree with the previous posters. I find it much more quiet south of town for several reasons.

1)No vehicles on the beach south of town: North of town you have a constant flow of bicycles and some motorcycles along the beach. South of town this is not an issue.

2) easy access to town: If you stay south of town you will have the option to get anywhere (shopping, restaurants) via bicycle, golfcart and taxi. If you stay anymore than 2.5 miles north of town you will not have great access to town via golf cart and No taxi.

Bugs are not any more of an issue south.

Plenty of villa and condo options south of town.

We've stayed both south of town and in town the many times we rented over the years. W've had friends stay north of the cut. The main difference I can see is the remoteness of being North as was already mentioned. Depends on what you want out of your stay. We always liked to go back & forth from town at least once a day on our own schedule. It is easy on the South with a golfcart or taxi. The North is very beautiful and for the most part, quieter, but more trouble to go to town.
Bugs are rarely bad on the beachfront unless the wind dies down.

Paradise Gallery & Frame San Pedro, AC

"Custom Framing & Art Gallery featuring local Artisans"
T
T
I vote for north. We stayed 4.5 miles north, rented a golf cart and loved every minute of it. Lots of fancy nice restaurants in that area, the golf cart ride to town was really enjoyable. Noticed different things each time we went and we went to town every day for two weeks. Even drove at night and had no problem. We also used the water taxi if in a hurry. The north is quiet but lots to see and a lovely sandy beach for miles and miles. Walked the beach every morning and met lots of wonderful people. Heard the south doesn't have as nice a sandy long beach. The mata grande grocery was wonderful as it was amazing the amount of things they have.

Time flies when you are having rum!!!
T
twiggy Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Thanks so much for all your input - now I have to decide!

A
A
We're partial to south, and as others says it is a matter of personal taste. No where on the island is "crowded" in typical American terms except maybe Front Street with golf carts sometimes. (Yeah I know, traffic is far worse all over town than it used to be but still...)

We've never stayed north but in the many vists I'll say it is VERY (too much so for me) peaceful, remote, and some would say isolated. Of course the unending pace of "progress" has slowly moved the line of isolation further north than it used to be so that is a constantly changing descriptor as well. With that said, it is beautiful, peaceful, and the reef is relatively close.

I prefer south. We normally stay 2.5 miles south and enjoy the very peaceful surroundings, with a bit more development and far easier access to town, shopping, great restaurants, sailing, etc. Amenities such as SCUBA are equally availble N or S, restaurants and shopping more plentiful (accessible) S, choices for accomodations debatably better S. And the cobblestone road goes south about 1.5 to 2 miles and that is appreciated when you are trying not to spill your beer. Either way, you can't go wrong plus you'll be returning on a 2nd trip and can try the other end if you are geo-curious.

Bob

M
M
Does anyone know about these two houses? they are for rent one on the north side: Casa Caracol and the other on the south side: Casa de Lisa 3.5 miles south. I am trying to decide where to stay. We have a group and will be getting married in Belize on the beach. All ideas appreciated!!!

Melissa

T
T
Casa Caracol is located on the beach in the boca del rio area and is walking distance from just about everything.Nice place and the owners are great people who have been here for many years. Feel free to email them to answer any questions that you might have.

Casa de Lisa is a little more isolated. You will need transportation to get to and from town.

Both are great properties that offer a different perspective of the island.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 379 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.