Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#38534 - 05/03/01 09:22 PM Trip Report
Jody Offline
Background on us - 38yo female, 49 yo male. Extensively traveled (especially Caribbean)

4/27/01 thru 5/1/01 A/C @ Mata Chica Resort.

Friday, April 27th. After a nice flight via American Airlines via DFW from Los Angeles. Arrived in Belize City and transfered to A/C via Mayan Air. Very nice, scenic flight. Mata Chica picked us up and we were in our beachfront Casita by 4:30pm. Room was ok but in my opinion, overpriced. Amenities in room included soap, shampoo, conditioner and one cup coffee maker. Had a few appetizers in bar, too tired to make it to dinner and had a wonderfully quiet sleep. Location is good for those who want privacy. Although the other mornings by 7am, full construction seemed to go on.

Saturday, April 28th. Continental breakfast was included in room price. Their version of continental breakfast was fresh juice and coffee. Boyfriend had "American" breakfast with a nice presentation but coffee shop quality. Had a morning kayak run (kayaks were complimentary) to the reef then kayaked to Journey's End for lunch. Their fish sandwich was good but don't order the "cereal filler" cheeseburger. Kayaked back to Mata Chica then snorkeled off their pier and saw a lot of small fish. Took a siesta then got ready for dinner in town via Mata Chica ferry. Stopped at Fido's for appetizers - garden variety then to Elvi's for dinner. Portions were ok, food ok too.
Took water taxi back to Mata Chica.

Sunday, April 29th. Took a tour with SEAduced to the North River and Ruins. Was a nice variety of a day. Our driver/guide was Herman, who was outstanding. Tour was from 8:30-4:30. Herman was a wonderful, adventurous driver who would even stop the boat if there was a single piece of trash in the ocean. Had cocktails and dinner at Mata Chica. Shrimp was ok. My boyfriend said the seafood lasagne was outstanding and their chocolate souffle was very, very good.

Monday, April 30th. Since Herman with SEAduced was so good we took him again to the Manatee nursery, beach BBQ, snorkeling and Shark-Ray Alley and onto Caulker Caye. The beach BBQ was actually the best meal we had in A/C consisting of Coconut rice, chicken breast, plaintains, fried potatoes, cole slaw and wonderful coconut tarts. Had drinks/dinner again at Mata Chica - was going to try Capricorn but had enough of boat rides. Had the Cabonera pasta (undercooked)but sauce was nice. Filet Mignon was just fair. Again the chocolate souffle was outstanding. Met some nice folks at Mata Chica who all had the same opinion as we did. For the price of the rooms there should have been more amenities in room like CD players (they did have a lot of books though) perhaps washcloths and a small fridge.

Service was very good.

Loved A/C and the laid back, friendly atmosphere that I've never found on any other Caribbean Island. Will come back but stay elsewhere.

Unfortunately had to leave 5/1/01 back to the States.

#38535 - 05/03/01 10:39 PM Re: Trip Report
Big Frank Offline
Thanks for the report:-]

Isn't it funny how the best meals are usually the ones for which you pay the least. Last time the best ones were Papi's and the ceviche from the guy on the bike!

#38536 - 05/03/01 10:46 PM Re: Trip Report
Punta Rebel Girl Offline
Yeah, you can't go wrong at Papi's, I never had a bad meal there. Also the food stands on Front Street? were great. Nice and spicey. And I loved the guys on the bikes. I thought they were selling ice cream, but what a nice suprise to find out they weren't.
Punta Rebel Girl

#38537 - 05/04/01 12:19 AM Re: Trip Report
lmarquis Offline
Sounds great. I will be there in 48 hours!!

Laurie

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (JohnVan3, 1 invisible), 36 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,675 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,058 Topics
462,303 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.