Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12
Maybe I can add a little to this conversation - not about costs of living, but about expectations and "the big move" - here goes:

Retirement - that is a massive lifestyle change. It requires major adjustments. Having an extra 10 hours a day to do "whatever" is more challenging than one might think.

Moving house - this is considered a 100% stress factor even if you just move a block away.

Moving to another town - add stress

Moving to another country - add even more potential mistakes, confusions, adjustments.

Add the four items above together and you get a full-blown life changing transition. No doubt most people have expectations about the outcome of almost any/every venture on which they embark. Usually some of what we expect happens and some does not. The more familiar we are with the venture the more often the results match our expectations. The more bold and different the adventure, the more likely you'll find things turning out differently than you expected. If you have an open mind you might find that the unexpected is really wonderful.

What I'm slowly getting to here is that you have to give things a try to find out how they are going to work out. Being prepared is good, but being rigid is a path to the nearest exit. Be patient and flexible and assume you don't have a clue about anything.

Lots of people flunk retirement. It has little or nothing to do with where they retire. They just miss work a lot more than they expected to.

Lots of people make successful moves to the wildest places. Probably the easiest moves are when you move for work - having a project, job or task gives you a sense of where you fit in, and gives you a context in which friendships are easily made.

I see so many folks get excited about QRP - but frankly I think that working here is half the fun. I would not "retire". My general recommendation is that if you are retiring "up there", don't box yourself into being retired here. Take a year of being here on tourist visas (you won't be able to work, but you will have tons to do to get settled), and then get permanent residency. You will have all kinds of possibilities that way and a perhaps a whole lot more fun.

When it comes to getting settled socially, maybe think of your retirement and move to the tropics a little like your grand-kids. Nobody is as interested in your grand-kids as you are. It's ok - that is just how it is. Enjoy the grandkids, enjoy your adventure in retirement in the tropics! Just don't expect that everybody you meet will be wanting to hear you talk about shipping containers of furniture or the cost of sour cream.

You may have to take the initiative in meeting people and building relationships. Invite people out to dinner or over to your house ..... they will come.

Take it slow and easy. Bring a good book and don't get too drunk. The rest will fall into place.

S
S
Diane, you are very wise. Thank you for summing it up so well!

G
G
Thanks Diane, you said it much better than I did.

Well said, Diane!

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
I'm not takeing any chances with retirement. I think I'll just keep
on doing what I do.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
D
D
Well spoke

If I hadn't/didn't spend so much time and money going to Belize and other world travels, I could probably retire today. But then . . .what would be the point? smile

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

I like retirement. I'm getting paid to read this right now while sipping on a cool drink.;-)

Rich that isn't any change from before.. is it?

Oh wait, you are at home now..

cool

The future ain't what it used to be.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 321 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.