Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#385625 08/14/10 09:34 AM
Viking Offline OP
OP Offline
Just a few questions. Looking to move within the next 60-90 days. In looking up some of the requirements we have to show a return ticket, show a visa, and that we have enough $ for however long. That's fine but do we really need all of that or just a passport and when we get there register for residency or can we do that prior? Or maybe I am retarded as it is early here and I'm at work, ha

Thumbprint Art -- Raw -- Powerful -- Emotion --
Viking #385628 08/14/10 09:39 AM
C
C
You really do need all of these things. Really. You can not register for residency unless you are physically here. Do a search on this website and you will find that these questions have been answered many many many many times.

Viking Offline OP
OP Offline
I figured they have been, but as previously stated it's early, been a long week and I am at work again. still figuring out this site also. Is it hard to get into an art gallery there?

Viking #385635 08/14/10 10:08 AM
M
M
If you have a USA passport, you don't need a visa. When you go through immigration on arrival, your passport will be stamped allowing a stay of 30 days -- no fees. After that, you just keep going to the nearest immigration office every 30 days for new stamps -- these will cost you. After 12 months, you can apply for permanent residency. More details can be easily found by searching.

Although you are required to have an onward/return ticket and sufficient funds, it's unlikely that you'll be asked to show them.

MisterB266 #385638 08/14/10 10:27 AM
Viking Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you MisterB266. I have been searching but what I have found so far really hasn't answered anything. Seems like there can be a lot of drama though. So basically I just need a passport and bring a bank statement. I really would prefer not to buy a round trip ticket if not really needed. How much is it for the monthly stamp? Also, is it better to apply for a work permit now or just wait till we are there? I am looking at a few options, buying a tatt shop or bar n grill (although through searching it seems alot of the bar/grills are not doing so well).

Viking #385639 08/14/10 10:32 AM
B
B
The 30 days stamped in your passport IS your visa. Be sure to get 30 days, it is up to the individual officer. It really winds up at 29 days, since you have to be stamped on the same date again. It is $50BZ for every stamp for 6 months, then $100BZ until you manage to get a residency stamp. The residency process is very informal. It has been different for everyone I have talked to so far. There are some on the level expiditers, I used one. Weeding them out however is not an easy task. This saved me at least a few trips back to Belmopan from what I have gathered by speaking to others who got residency.
I'd get a round-trip, the price difference is minimal, and when you get here you may want to make at least one trip back to get all the things not available here.

beachdude #385640 08/14/10 10:43 AM
S
S
You'll NEED to get a R/T as very often they ask to see that you have a return leg... not on the Belize end mind you, but the US end ('making the assumption you're coming from the US... not sure how other countries handle it.) Pretty much EVERY time we fly back to the States from here (with a ticket Belize - US - Belize) we are questioned at the counter in Miami/Dallas if we have a return tix. We then show them our residency card and it's ok.

Buy the R/T tix and just make sure the tix is such you change change the return date for a minimal fee...

SFJeff #385642 08/14/10 10:51 AM
Viking Offline OP
OP Offline
OK. That was what I was thinking, better safe then sorry right. From what I have read I believe it is a mandatory year prior to filing for residency but have conflicting stories, some say it can be done sooner.....? Also on the work permit, is it better to get prior to coming or after? I know these questions have been answered over and over again and I appologize for the redundency, but honestly some of the other post's I have read go off in different directions without an actual answer, or atleast I am too impaitent to weed through hundreds of posts to finally get to the answer.

Thank you both again

Viking #385648 08/14/10 12:00 PM
P
P
A work permit isn't a given and I imagine has to be applied for in person rather than in advance. Typically you'll get one if opening a business and offering employment opportunities to Belizeans. A lot harder if working for someone. Residency is applied after living in Belize a year, proven with all the correct stamps. There is a maximum amount of days in the year prior to residency you can leave Belize for. Something like 15 days.

Phil #385699 08/15/10 03:34 PM
M
M
Just to clarify the tourist visa issue...

Visitors with a USA passport don't need to apply for and have a visa BEFORE they depart USA and arrive in Belize. Here's the site showing the countries "not requiring visas to Belize":
http://www.mfa.gov.bz/ct.asp?xItem=200&ctNode=34&mp=26

Visitors from these countries get a stamp (I don't use the word visa here to avoid confusion; sometimes called a "tourist card" because once a card was also issued with the stamp) in their passports when they arrive at immigration in Belize.

And here are the "countries requiring visas":
http://www.mfa.gov.bz/ct.asp?xItem=201&ctNode=34&mp=26

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 303 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.