Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
E
Ecoman Offline OP
OP Offline
E
The local newspapers should publish this information so that all the local population is informed . This is something that as you turn a stone you find more irregularities and discrepancies .The only winners in this scheme is first and foremost David Mitchell and his buddies .The clear losers are the people of this island .No EIA, No paying of commision to SPTC, no plan to proper develop this major subdivision with any kind of infrastructure and denying the opportunity for locals to get this land that was set aside specifically for them according to the Pinkerton deal. Where is our area rep.

M
M
Our newspapers are much too afraid of offending someone or making a mistake. easier to report on Costa Maya. Its like the battle of the high school papers. We do need a paper that is not afraid to deal with the issues. I have written and written about our issues but they too afraid to publish so now I will hit it on TV at every opportunity. We need a rep, the special interests have this one all for themselves.

S
S
CH7 and Amandala are the media most likely to do investigative reporting.

Now Mike I don't think thats quite true, most of the info is coming from the San Pedro Sun.
http://sanpedrosun.net/old/08-363.html
//ambergriscaye.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/373832/Searchpage/1/Main/39840/Words/los+salones/Search/true/Re_GOB_tries_to_regain_ownersh.html#Post373832
and if you search these threads about GBE and Mitchell's escapades you'll see an Article quoted or commented on from the Sun.
I respect them for not prostituting themselves to their advertisers.
Thats the earmark of a real newspaper.
but I admit some relief the Costa Maya is over, enough of young women in bathing suits with sash and high heals on the beach!

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
M
M
Jesse, I have come to realize that no one on the mainland knows what goes on out here much as without the internet we would know little of what goes on in Belize. Almost every single issue I have brought up to my mainland associates, mostly lawyers, was news to them, just as we are in the dark about much that happens nationally. Hubert Elrington called me Rip Van Winkle because I was so late in becoming aware of the offshore drilling threat, but we simply were not informed by our local media or area rep. Not even the town council knew of the plans.
Most people on the streets of San Pedro don't know anything about these land matters and are shocked when I give a summary. The GOB is using San Pedro as some give-away and no one will know, they think. Besides greed I think it is an attempt to weaken us politically. This goes double for the master plan that Coastal Zone has proposed. The next rep will have lots of work to undo these messes but it must be done. I have seen more obvious degradation of environment in the last 5 years than the 20 years before that. One of the big issues is the run off from the streets going into the sea. Very Bad. Hip shot engineering. An EIA for our streets would have revealed that problem and we could have planned a bit differently.
We must have a law that requires ALL PUBLIC LAND TO BE ADVERTISED BEFORE SELLING AND HIGHEST PRICE MUST BE ACCEPTED AND PUBLISHED. Bunch of crooks.

Originally Posted by elbert
but I admit some relief the Costa Maya is over, enough of young women in bathing suits with sash and high heals on the beach!

As a heterosexual male, I do not find that offensive. Just what would you prefer to look at on the beach? confused

:-) reality

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
M
M
You are right partially Elbert, they print an occasional article with no follow up. But, "if it no so, it's nearly so". The mark of a real newspaper is who, what, when, where, and why. Not prostituting themselves to their advertisers should not be anything special. The more than flattering articles in the Guide would not fall into that category would it? I won't hardly read them as they are such tripe all though it is good to know that every restaurant and establishment here is the best in town even if they forget to tell you where it is.
Amandala used to try but sinks ever further into their racist murk with every editorial it seems, much as the BT keeps trying to tell us what a good government we had.
Next time you read an article from either of our papers look for the who, what, when, where and why that should be in the first paragraph in that order. It's called Journalism 101. They could both do much better. News reporting is different than prose.

Originally Posted by elbert
:-) reality

Would that be like me, Ernie and Jesse is Speedos.
If that is what you want, just speaking for myself, the best you can hope for is two out of three. smile

PS: Sorry Mike and et al. It is a serious subject. Although I find it interesting that in the past when some have posted of having negative experiences in Belize or any comments that picture Belize in a negative way, many have taken the approach of "shooting the messanger", or rationalizing it by saying it is worse many other places. Now so many that did that are now airing a lot of Belize's "dirty laundry".
I am not sure that is a bad thing. But, I wonder if exposing it to all who read this message board, many of whom get their first impression of Belize from what they read here, is offset by what little, if any, it might accomplish by influencing those that can make a difference.

Last edited by bywarren; 08/24/10 07:38 PM.
E
E
I have a foto of me in my speedo, wanna see it ?

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 270 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.