Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#38641 - 05/05/01 08:04 AM What CAN'T I buy in Belize?
KC Offline
I need some advice from those who are very familiar with the stores in SP, and also on the mainland. I am trying to furnish an empty house an AC. After making inquiries of the freight people, it has become very clear that it would be cheaper to buy "pots and pans" down there than to buy them here, ship to Houston, then ship to Belize City, then ship to SP, then have delivered to home north of SP. ARGH! By the time I got my $500.00 worth of goods down there (and paid duty on them, they would be the most expensive pots and pans in Belize)!

I have been advised that one thing that is difficult to get good quality of in Belize are linens, so those I will bring. Is there anything else that I would find very difficult to buy either in SP or Belize City? I have long lists of things that are needed at the house (thanks, Vicki), but if it is available in Belize I would rather buy it there.

I am buying beds and dining table at Graniels, and living room furniture at Hummingbird. Orders are being placed right now. I know that I can't expect to find a Wallmart in Belize, but if anyone could give me any direction as to good places to shop (hardware stores, small appliance stores, etc.)I'd appreciate it so much. Also, if any of these stores are in Belize City, what is the best way to get there, shop, and return with all the goods?

When I'm done with this... I think I'm gunna write a book! There is so much to know! I've never asked so many questions of so many people in my life!

Thanks to anyone who has advice.

Kathy

#38642 - 05/05/01 02:53 PM Re: What CAN'T I buy in Belize?
Punta Rebel Girl Offline
KC, I know of Harmouch's Hardware in SP on Pescador Drive, I think it is. They have small appliances there and even stoves and ranges to I believe. It is a pretty big hardware store and I would imagine you would be able to find just about anything you need there, though I don't know how the prices are. Hope this helps. Have a great day.
Punta Rebel Girl

#38643 - 05/05/01 03:49 PM Re: What CAN'T I buy in Belize?
SP Daily Offline
Belican Supply Depot, located west of La Margarita on the road to San Pablo, imports directly from the US... appliances, kitchenware, hardware, many other items that you'll be looking for. Best prices on the island!

#38644 - 05/05/01 05:56 PM Re: What CAN'T I buy in Belize?
Sandshaker Offline
I agree on the linens!!!....Walmart...Target.....stock up!
Also those nice thick plush towels that we love so much in the states....becomes a real pain in the butt when you try to wash them by hand and they take forever to dry. It's easier to get some good....not so plush towels.

I think most household furnishings can be purchased here. Although you will pay more on the island for stuff than on the mainland.

There are several hardware/appliance places here; Belican Supply, San Pedro Hardware, Harmouche's, Castillo's Hardware.

I personally like to go to San Ignacio in Cayo and buy things and then have them sent over to the island.

There are also several places in Bz. City. Courts and Dave's Furniture Store are just a couple.

The Mennonites also have a furniture store on Middle St. If you want something special made..you will need to talk to Gunther when he comes in on Wednesday afternoon. He usually stays till Thursday afternoon.

How far up is your house?

Good luck!

[This message has been edited by Sandshaker (edited 05-05-2001).]

#38645 - 05/05/01 06:28 PM Re: What CAN'T I buy in Belize?
KC Offline
Thanks for the replies! I am taking detailed notes of all your suggestions.I never thought about the drying time for the towels. Although we do have a washer and dryer there--I do remember that nothing dries in a jiffy there! When we were there the wind blew like crazy... but nothing would dry! I found that odd. That wind must be full of moisture! (and that's probably also why my skin never felt dry--always soft).

Sandshaker, you said that you like to go to San Ignacio and buy things and have them sent over to the island. And how does one arrange to have that done? Does the store arrange it, or do you hire a boat? (I will be "boatless" while doing this shopping, so have to hire all transportation.)

Our house is about 4.5 miles up -- Los Encantos, villa #2. Do you know it?

Many many thanks again!

Kathy

#38646 - 05/09/01 07:19 PM Re: What CAN'T I buy in Belize?
munichchick Offline
I hear the shopping is great in Chetumal, Mexico and you can find everything there for good prices. But I don't know for sure since I don't live in Belize "yet"!

#38647 - 05/10/01 01:42 AM Re: What CAN'T I buy in Belize?
MangoMonkey Offline
Hi Munichchick! Why aren't you working!

Yes, Munichchick is right! Chetumal has lots of shopping and a Walmart. Costs $10.00 US to cross into Mexico,if you go through in Corozal area until you are a permanent resident of Belize. Then you will not have to pay the exit fee.
But it may be real expensive since you will be living on AC. Air fare from SP to get there and all.
Those pots and pans? Did you mention the purchase value? Did you buy them new in the states, take them out of the orginal box and repack them? Did you mention that they were used or new? How did you determine the value? What shipper did you decide to use?
Everything I mentioned makes all the difference in the world!
Plus you are on an island. Pretty soon Chetumal will join the Free Trade and you will be able to do better. Getting them to SP will be the thing. Good Luck.

#38648 - 05/10/01 08:54 PM Re: What CAN'T I buy in Belize?
LKF Offline
Hey KC, this isn't in answer to your question, but to let you know that we did meet your friends Eric and Tami at the Caribbean Villas. Their son Gus and our friends son played together the last 2 days we were there. We all wished they had come earlier so we could have done more things together.

I have their e-mail address and will correspond shortly but you have GREAT FRIENDS!!! I'm sure they are having a good time--they were going out for their first dive of the trip the last I saw them and were quite jazzed about it.

Hope you get all your questions answered.

#38649 - 05/10/01 09:00 PM Re: What CAN'T I buy in Belize?
KC Offline
LKF -- That is awesome that you met Tami, Eric and family! I'm so glad they are having a good time. I have been talking it (Ambergris) up to Tami for three months, and I hope I didn't overdo it!

Tami is very special to me as she has delivered all three of my grandchildren. Besides that, she is just a great person.

Thanks for letting me know you met them!

Kathy

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 52 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,672 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,036 Topics
462,242 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.