Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#386732 - 08/31/10 02:59 PM St. George’s Village
Marty Offline
Depending on what view you take of history, September tenth either marks the birth of a nation or the spawning ground for a myth.

Either way, to get to the story of Belize, you have to go back to St. George's Caye - which was once the capital of this settlement.

Now it's become the annual launch pad for the September Celebrations season. At last year's launch, it was declared a national historical landmark and this year the cemetery was declared an archaeological reserve. Here are highlights from yesterday's launch:....

212 years after this tiny island was ground zero for the "Battle Of St. George's Caye", Ministers, municipal leaders, dignitaries and invited guests gathered on the island for official ceremonies to open the September Celebrations. Tourism and Culture Minister Manuel Herredia also signed a statutory instrument making the cemetery an archaeological reserve Dr. Jaime Awe of the institute of Archeology outlined the findings of a recently concluded archeological dig on the island - which was once Belize Capital:

Dr. Jaime Awe, Institute of Archaeology
"Archaeology then is beginning to tell us much about the trials and tribulations of the people and community who gave birth to our young nation and this takes me to a very important mileage that I wanted to leave with you today, I feel that many Belizeans have yet to really understand the true significance of St. George's Caye. It is often said that Belize had never had to fight for freedom, but we certainly did right here in this very spot where our ancestors stood to what was then the most powerful nation at the time."

And from a populous, cornerstone capital to a settlement, St. George's Caye is making a slight return to prominence by being upgraded to village status

Hon. Gabriel Martinez, Minister of Local Government
"The champagne corks can be unleashed and the drums roll as St. George's Caye meets its formal entry into village status."

In history's long arc, that is cause for celebration or at least song....and the event was fittingly capped off by a musical performance of "I Am Belize" with Tanya Carter, Berne and Shawn Saldano.

At yesterday's event, Amada Balam was also given a prize for having come up with the September Celebrations theme.

Channel 7

#386733 - 08/31/10 03:00 PM Re: St. George’s Village [Re: Marty]
Marty Offline

Historic St. George’s Caye to soon get Village Status

Yesterday, at the official opening of the September Celebration, it was declared that St. George’s Caye would become the newest village in the country. This past Tuesday Cabinet approved a request made by the St. George’s Caye Community Council for the official designation of St. George’s Caye to village status. Gabriel Martinez is the Minister of Rural Development.

Gabriel Martinez; Minister of Culture

“I would like to premise my remarks by first of all conveying my congratulations as Minister with responsibility for Rural Development to the members of the St. George’s Caye community on having garnered the consent of the Government of Belize to become the newest village among the 194 villages and communities in Belize. Needless to say this is a stealer accomplishment particularly for the members of this community who for many years have envisioned village status for this caye. I also must congratulate the members of the St. George’s Caye Community Council going as far back as 1998 under the chairmanship of Mr. Karl Menzies for seeing St. George’s Caye not only as a historical land mark in Belize, which it is and which we Belizeans are proud of, but as a place to be preserved and properly administered.”

The residents of St. George’s Caye, almost one hundred strong, will now have more control over the affairs of the caye as the community council will now be replaced with a village council.

“The council will be charged with the good governance of the village and as such will be responsible for developing and implementing a village development plan in consultation with residents. Other duties and responsibilities of the new council will include the administration of the financial affairs of the village with regards to the village funds, projects and plans; the care and maintenance of pubic property and assets of the council; the making of regulations and bylaws in the caye’s best interest including bylaws for the naming and numbering of houses, lots and streets; the regulation of the construction of buildings and structures and the environment and the sanitation of the village and the making of recommendations to the appropriate authority for the appointment of justices of the peace. The council will also be responsible for appointing a lots committee among the many other responsibilities conferred on village councils by the village councils act chapter 88 of the laws of Belize.”

St. George’s Caye will become a member of the National Association of Village Councils as soon as the Ministry of Natural Resources and the Attorney General’s Ministry draw up the necessary documents.

“This will include the procurement of the coordinates or the description of the boundaries of the Caye from the Ministry of Natural Resources; the preparation of the requisite statutory instrument by the Attorney General’s Ministry and the publication of the instrument on sighing by me as minister with responsibility for Rural Development in the Government Gazette. At that point ladies and gentlemen the champagne corks can be unleashed.”

It was not said when the process will be completed but according to Minister Martinez his ministry will act with haste to implement the processes leading to the final acclamation of the island as a village.

LOVE FM

#386736 - 08/31/10 03:04 PM Re: St. George’s Village [Re: Marty]
Marty Offline
Sunday August 29th 2010 marked the official Opening of 2010 September Celebrations. Under the theme “United and Proud – Moving Forward – I am Belize!” The opening ceremonies took place at the St. George’s Caye Cemetery. The day included presentations by: Hon. Manuel Heredia Jr., Minister of Tourism, Civil Aviation and Culture; Dr. Jaime Awe, Ms. Diane Haylock, Mr. John Searle, Jr. among others. Food and entertainment were provided. Read the full story in this week’s San Pedro Sun.

Official Plaque declaring St. George's Caye a Historical Site!!

The Belize Defence Force's Marching Band performs the National Anthem!

Community Council Chairman Mr. John Searle Jr. Offers welcoming address.

Dr. Jaime Awe presents on St George's Caye Historical Archeology Research project!

Hon. Manuel Heredia signs SI declaring SGC Cemetery an Archeological Reserve!

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
5 registered (Judyann H., BrownDogs, azbob, steeplejack, 1 invisible), 37 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,675 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,060 Topics
462,314 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.