Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#386738 - 08/31/10 10:08 AM PUP gives support to John as Leader
Marty Online   happy

PUP gives support to John as Leader of the Opposition

As predicted, two deputy leaders and three other parliamentarians were no shows at the National Party Council meeting of the People’s United Party this past Saturday at Independence Hall. They boycotted the second highest authority of the PUP because they did not agree with the convening of the meeting and were opposed to a rumoured September convention which would have upset any plans for a challenge to John Briceño’s leadership. While their absence added salts to the wounds of a divided party, it didn’t matter because Briceno was in full control of twenty-seven constituencies at Independence Hall. He had the numbers from south to north, east and west. Saturday’s meeting was well choreographed and News Five Jose Sanchez has a report.

Jose Sanchez, Reporting

On Saturday the People’s United Party held its National Party Council meeting at Independence Hall in Belize City. The question on hand was whether or not the opposition party would have a September convention for leadership. PUP leaders from across the country packed Independence Hall. Mike Espat opened the floor and spoke of unity and those who he believes are causing disunity in the party.

Mike Espat, Toledo Representative

Mike Espat

“One thing was common in all those villages. Gentlemen if you all want our support, you all have to unite. I really was surprised that was coming out from those villages. And it seems to me that we in the People’s United Party refuse to listen. It seems to me that we spend more time fighting ourselves than fighting with the UDP. Our commitment after those meetings with the caucus from the south, I am pledging to you my support—and I don’t have to speak for them, they will speak for themselves. We no have time fi go fight in no convention and that is why we made a move. We made a move in Corozal that we are endorsing you as the leader of the People’s United Party. This bull have to stop. And who in the People’s United Party say that’s not democratic, no man dah we decide. This party belongs to us. We make those decisions here. Ih noh belong to no, two people or three people.”

And no doubt the two or three persons include some of the five men who strolled into Briceño’s office at Happy Tails building last week Thursday. Noticeably absent were parliamentarians: Francis Fonseca, Florencio Marin, Cordel Hyde, Mark Espat and Said Musa, all who appeared to have formed an alliance with Espat in a possible move for Party Leader. But in a surprising power play, though the former PM was missing, he still had representation through his son, Henry Charles Usher, the chairman of Fort George Division. Usher’s ambition is to rise within the ranks of the party; he called for a national convention.

Henry Usher

Henry Charles Usher, Chairman of PUP Fort George Division

“We’ve been on this merry go round for too long. It’s time to get off the ride and start to work. Belizeans are asking us to work, to get back to Belmopan and to rescue this country from the UDP. That is what we need to do. We have always followed our constitution and we will continue to follow the constitution of our fathers. The constitution calls for this council right here. All of us here to set the date and I’m asking all of you in here to set that date for the national convention so we can move this party forward.”

The adulation and support for Briceño went without challenge.

Toledo West Representative

“Our constituents have asked us here today to publicly acknowledge and congratulate party leader for reaching out to Toledo West.”

Dangriga Representative

“Johnny comes to Dangriga, he comes to the Stann Creek District. He comes to Toledo. He has shown interest in what this is about and so we have no choice than to endorse him as the party leader and the next prime minister of this country.”

Corozal North Representative

“On behalf of executive of Corozal north, the voters of the People’s United Party, I stand here to firmly endorse you as our leader.”

Eloisa Trujeque

“I believe right now the executive is full of baggage and right now we need to get rid of some of those baggage.”

Maureen Leslie, Aspiring Politician

“If I am doing all this work then two days before convention day, up comes some Johnny come lately and seh well I want to run now too. That is not—I don’t want that. I work with this—commission could tell yoh—in the police department we have our bible, well this is our bible for the PUP and all I’m asking is that we do what we are supposed to do and we will have no problem.”

After Maureen Leslie’s held up the PUP bible, the crowd was ready to hear from John’s gospel.

John Briceño, Leader, PUP

John Briceño

“We have a consensus that we should have a special national convention as soon as possible based on the constitution. Is that the will of the central party council? Is there any against? There is no one against. We’re going to be using the amendments on the constitution that we have already ratified. The first one is that under the amendments we have done, first we had one delegate for every one hundred votes that you got in the last election. Under the new amendments we are going to have one delegate for every twenty-five votes that we had in the last election. That will mean ladies and gentlemen that in the last election we had about six hundred and fifty delegates, the next national convention we will have over two thousand delegates, party members deciding the future of this party. The deadline for submitting names in case you are interested in serving in the national executive will be September thirteenth. By September fourteenth is the deadline for the list of all the delegates to be submitted to the secretariat.”

Rodwell Ferguson, Dangriga Representative

“I endorse Johnny Briceno as leader of PUP and I want to take this opportunity to ask the council if the next convention could be held in the district of Stann Creek.”

The National Executive met this morning and heard Ferguson’s call and has decided that the convention will be held on October seventeenth in Dangriga. Reporting for News Five, Jose Sanchez.

Channel 5

#386817 - 09/01/10 09:34 AM Re: PUP gives support to John as Leader [Re: Marty]
Marty Online   happy
Five PUP divisions boycott Johnny

Nominations opened today, Monday, for hopefuls inside the Opposition People’s United Party (PUP) who want to challenge PUP leader Johnny Briceño for the leadership position.

But the story isn’t that clear-cut, as Briceño has already rallied up majority support to call an early election, and at least two deputies who had previously made moves to vie for the post, Freetown’s Francis Fonseca and Albert’s Mark Espat, are among a boycott group that we understand may challenge the upcoming special national convention.

At a meeting held on Saturday, August 28, 2010, the National Party Council of the People’s United Party met and decided to hold the convention on October 17, 2010, two weeks in advance of November, the usual date for the convention. Five divisions, four of them elected parliamentarians, shunned that meeting.

Amandala understands that reps for Freetown, Albert, Lake Independence and Corozal South East, all PUP seats in the National Assembly, along with Port Loyola reps, did not show up at the meeting, even though they knew about it.

The group, virtually all Belize City-based, with the exception of Corozal Southeast, also boycotted an executive meeting Monday, which was set to put in motion plans for the special convention. They are due to meet later this week.

Briceño is unfazed by the boycott, as he said 26 divisions of 31 were present at Saturday’s meeting. He told Amandala that he won’t know if it will be an endorsement convention until September 13, two weeks from now, when nominations are due.

There has been talk of a possible challenge by former party leader and ex-prime minister Said Musa, whose son, Henry Charles Usher, attended Saturday’s meeting, at which, Briceño said, the proposal for an early convention was unanimously supported.

One high-ranking party insider expressed the view to us that there is no reason why there should be a special convention, unless there are extenuating circumstances. Otherwise, the convention should be held November.

When we asked Briceño why the move to hold the convention and election two weeks early, he said that “...all over the country [party members] have been asking for this. Party members for some time, because of all the media frenzy, wanted to settle this. We want the party to unite.”

Briceño furthermore stated that most of the times, these conventions are not held in November.

“People have two weeks’ notice to decide if they will run, and they will have the voters’ list 31 days ahead of the convention. The constitution calls for 30 days,” said Briceño, insisting that he is not circumventing the party’s constitution, as some have alleged.

Briceño furthermore told us that nobody at the meeting said “no” to the early convention. Musa’s son, Usher, and his other Fort George delegates were in support, he added. For Briceño, this signals that at the end of the day, Musa’s constituency will support him.

Information in PUP circles is that this support may involve “old guard” members of the Musa camp getting key positions coming out of the convention.

At the executive meeting this morning, said Briceño, the results of the Saturday meeting were relayed, and the National Executive has been mandated to proceed with plans.

While nominations will close on September 13, the names of delegates are to be submitted by September 14, and the complete list of delegates is to be released by September 16, which gives a month for them to campaign.

Briceño explains that there is one delegate allowed per division at the convention, for every 25 votes netted by the PUP candidate in the last general elections. With the PUP garnering just under 50,000 votes last general election, there should be roughly 2,000 delegates participating.

Briceño also said that he would end up with the biggest delegation of 106 people at the special convention, having gotten 2,562 votes in the last general elections.

We note that the five constituencies that boycotted the recent meetings would collectively bring roughly 315 delegates and would need, from other constituencies, the support of 700 (or so) more delegates to topple Briceño’s leadership.

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (Marty, 1 invisible), 58 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,635 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,711 Topics
461,241 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.