Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#387084 - 09/05/10 10:05 PM Texaco
Diane Campbell Offline
Went to fill up the boat today - Texaco in the back. My tank holds 16 gallons and the tank was a little under half full when I pulled in.
When the tank was full I asked how many gallons - the answer was 18.2.
Hmmmmm - I protested, but the guys shrugged and said to pay. Methinks they had not re-set the pump when I started pumping - anybody else had that issue? I feel ripped off, but should have had the sense to check the pump meter before I started pumping gas. For sure in the future I will do so, and I strongly advise you to do the same.

#387106 - 09/06/10 02:28 PM Re: Texaco [Re: Diane Campbell]
Stilromin Offline
I give the attendant a certain amount of money before pumping and tell him to put in just that much. You can get pretty close to full with a little practice, while minimizing your risk. Plus it keeps the attendant watching the pump while filling the boat.
Transferring the monetary responsibility has worked for me, the total never exceeds the money paid up front and I stay more in touch with the cost per gallon as an indirect result.
I hope this helps...

#387114 - 09/06/10 03:22 PM Re: Texaco [Re: Diane Campbell]
SFJeff Offline
When do the last time (if ever?) that the pumps in town were calibrated??? That is, calibrated to read ACCURATELY? In the US for example, the NIST can shut down any pump/station if a pump measures a discrepancy of anything over 3.3 ounces per 5 gallons pumped.

Diane, what you are saying HAS to be more than a calibration issue, but you can't imagine HOW many times the gas station has been able to cram, say 13 gallons into our 12 gallon tank. It's truly amazing.

Stilromin: your solution avoids certain fraud, but not if the pumps are off to begin with.

What to do? Bring a clear 5 gallon container and say "fill it up to this line." THEN pour it into your tank...??? I dunno...

#387124 - 09/06/10 05:01 PM Re: Texaco [Re: Diane Campbell]
Diane Campbell Offline
Stillromin I am not complaining about how much I spent - if I have only $50 with me I tell them to pump $50.
Yesterday was a first for me for this kind of thing at Texaco - and I've been buying gas here for 18 years. Times are tough and thieves are getting bolder. My advice to all concerned is be sure the pump reads "0" before you start pumping.

#387154 - 09/07/10 01:11 AM Re: Texaco [Re: Diane Campbell]
Dane Offline
I had this problem in the US,
The management people at Texaco were REALLY happy to hear from me online. They oft repeated that most folks don't bother and that was the root cause of gas theft.
It turned out to be a lot of cash. They were charging twice for nearly half of the gas they sold. Both guys got prison, though they both testified against each other.

#387212 - 09/07/10 06:16 PM Re: Texaco [Re: Diane Campbell]
Diane Campbell Offline
Dane - who do I write to - Texaco here or there?

#387244 - 09/08/10 04:35 AM Re: Texaco [Re: Diane Campbell]
hazzyy Offline
This happens all the time in a lot of areas where it's full serve. It's easy to avoid if you do what was suggested by the OP...just make sure the pump is at all zero's when you pull up. If they guy before you got 10 bucks and the pump was not reset and you have the pump stopped at 20 bucks you're only getting 10 dollars worth but paying 20, 10 of that to the gas station and 10 of that to the attendants pocket. Best practice = making sure the pump says 000000.00 before you start.

#387246 - 09/08/10 05:29 AM Re: Texaco [Re: Diane Campbell]
Stilromin Offline
No worries from my end, I was just chiming in on an apparent problem that I have chosen to preempt. In the long run, the best practice is to know the first name of the guy pumping the gas. He is most likely doing his best to be a responsible employee anyway.

#387501 - 09/10/10 06:35 AM Re: Texaco [Re: Diane Campbell]
Dane Offline
I went online with Texaco.com. I don't know where they were.

#387508 - 09/10/10 01:33 PM Re: Texaco [Re: Diane Campbell]
CarlosCabanas Offline
I heard that this happened to someone else yesterday on the backside of the island as well. Sounds like it my well be more than a one time incident. Should probably tell someone at the main office on middle street.

Carlos

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
4 registered (Jameela01, Marty, Ricklap, 1 invisible), 29 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,676 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,068 Topics
462,330 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.