Here is a copy of a reproduced report on the Battle of St. George’s Caye, 1798

Letters of which the following are copies were yesterday received from the Earl of Balcarras, by His Grace the Duke of Portland, one of his Majesty’s Principal Secretaries of State.

Jamaica November 7, 1798

My Lord,

On the 31st of October, I received a dispatch from the Bay of Honduras – Lieutenant Colonel Barrow informs me that the settlers had been attacked by a flotilla, consisting of thirty-one vessels, having on board two thousand land troops and five hundred seamen. Arthur O’Neil, Governor General of Yucatan, and Field Marshal in the service of Spain, commanded in person. I have great satisfaction in transmitting the letter of the Lieutenant Colonel by which your Grace will be informed, that this Armament has been repulsed, and the expedition entirely frustrated. The Lieutenant-Colonel speaks in handsomest manner of the conduct of Captain Moss, of His Majesty’s Ship Merlin, and the wonderful exertions of the settlers and their Negro Slaves, who manned the gun-boats. The conduct of Lieutenant Colonel Barrow, and the Settlers in putting the Port of Honduras Bay into a respectable state of defence, as well as the gallant manner in which it was maintained, gives me entire satisfaction and it is with pleasure that I report their service to Your Grace – I have the honour to be.