Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#387660 - 09/12/10 07:18 PM want to live 1500 or less
Viking Offline
Don't care about the IL story, I am just being straight. What would that get? Don't care bout INS at this time etc.. Just house and what goes with that. Yes I know this is vague, but just need a semi comfortable place, on beach if possible, then I can go from there

#387665 - 09/12/10 07:57 PM Re: want to live 1500 or less [Re: Viking]
Viking Offline
Or if anyone has anything avail for long term starting in feb. Let me know as we have contacted a few people and don't get many replies. Thanks

#387666 - 09/12/10 08:32 PM Re: want to live 1500 or less [Re: Viking]
CaptOneIron Offline
Talk to Richard McMinimy at CasaCayo realty on Ambergris and he can guide you. I personally don't think $1500 a month is doable on AC but Richard could tell you and he is also knowledgeable about the mainland.

#387678 - 09/12/10 10:56 PM Re: want to live 1500 or less [Re: Viking]
belizeonthebeach Offline
Check this link from AARP
http://www.aarp.org/home-garden/livable-...ze-corozal.html

And this one for affordable homes
http://www.royalcolonyestate.4t.com/

Shameless plug I know

#387866 - 09/15/10 02:56 PM Re: want to live 1500 or less [Re: Viking]
tacogirl Offline
$1500 a month budget for here is too cheap start by doubling it.

#387867 - 09/15/10 02:59 PM Re: want to live 1500 or less [Re: Viking]
Mary1220 Offline
Yes at first you need to double that maybe after you are settled in about 6 months you can figure out what to eat and do cheaper. But you have to eat and have to pay for a place to stay it takes a while to get in the grove and find out the bottom line expenses. You can probably live on that on the mainland in the jungle, in a shack.

#387878 - 09/15/10 06:59 PM Re: want to live 1500 or less [Re: Mary1220]
Viking Offline
OK, well not looking to live in the jungle in a shack, been there done that. Here is what I get so far. I can get a place that is somewhat what I am looking for in about the $750 - $800 range, cable is about $25/month and then utilities can be somewhere between $75 - $100/month. Not sure how much phone (cell) or internet cost. but just the above comes to around $925 so I will just round to $1K/month just on the housing. I can't see that I would spend $500/month on food but I really don't know what the local prices for local food is. Please, seriously, let me know what I am missing

#387879 - 09/15/10 07:26 PM Re: want to live 1500 or less [Re: Viking]
SnoopysMom Offline
I know many here that are on tight budgets and live quite lean (inexpensive housing) and struggle on much more than you are planning.

Groceries / toiletries / OTC meds are pretty expensive in general (easily double and some triple what we paid in the US), so not sure what you will be using or eating for $500 per month. Example: cereal is $16 BZE / $8 US and in the states it would be $4. These things add up quickly! Rice and beans might work out, but TP and shampoo could do you in. LOL

Some of the chinese places have cooked to order meals with lots of fresh veggies. No way could I prepare the dish for what we pay (the chop suey there is $18 BZE and could serve as 2 meals).

You may want to figure in a few other items such as communications (cell phone) or transportation costs (if you buy a bike, have the occasional need for a taxi or need to go to the mainland). Also, the utilities may be different based on where you are - city water vs well or cistern. I think you should allow more for electric (or gas) even if you aren't using AC, you will need to cook, refrigerate, hot water for shower and cleaning and run fans.

In any case, I doubt the local panderers will like you much wink

#387891 - 09/15/10 10:52 PM Re: want to live 1500 or less [Re: SnoopysMom]
Viking Offline
Thank you very much, again you have been very helpful. Yes I guess (stupid as it sounds -- cuz it is) I forgot TP etc... guess that means I need to know how much beer cost's also..

OH and yes I am planning on eating a ton of rice and beans so, watch out..ha..

We are planning on getting a bike and a golf cart also.

Right now just trying to plan the basic cost's so I can plan on how many years what I have will go, plus I plan on getting a job somewhere.

And you are correct the local panderers will probably not like me so much

#387895 - 09/16/10 12:35 AM Re: want to live 1500 or less [Re: Viking]
GwenA Offline
Golf cart isn't a basic. And, you can't just buy one and license it. It involves permits, insurance, environmental fees and the permits are limited. Whenever, things are limited, and you want it it usually involves "extra fees". Do you know the word baksheesh, from another part of the world? I hope you get the drift, people are telling you shack in the jungle, and you have been there, done that. It isn't cheap here. It even costs $50Bz each month for the first 6 months to register with Immigration. After the first 6 months it is $100 Bz a month, until you can apply for residency. Then it's $100 a month until they process the paperwork. This can take months. Add that in!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 34 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,670 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,006 Topics
462,169 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.