Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#387670 - 09/12/10 04:26 PM Building an artificial reef
lovetotravel Offline
We are interested in adding to an artificial reef at the end of our pier at Sunset Beach. Any tips on the best/easiest/cheapest/most eco friendly way to do this? We could do this ourselves or are open to hiring someone to do it right.

#387671 - 09/12/10 04:45 PM Re: Building an artificial reef [Re: lovetotravel]
beachbumin Offline
Check with the folks down at Pelican Reef Villas. They have a great artificial reef at the end of their pier.

#387672 - 09/12/10 04:49 PM Re: Building an artificial reef [Re: lovetotravel]
chris45 Offline
I would think you would need environmental clearance from DoE and fisheries before proceeding with this idea. There are lots of issues with this, and the materials you plan to use will need to be carefully thought out.
You probably already know that many artificial reefs have been made in the US, especially around the Florida coast, using obsolete US army vehicles, ships etc. These have proved immensely successful in promoting wildlife and have become popular fishing marks for boat captains. The problem is that the "material " has to be stripped of anything which could pollute the water.
Early on, motor tyres were used but the consensus of opinion now is that tyres make very bad "material" as they break adrift and wash up on beaches eventually. You will find a lot of info on line about this.

#387673 - 09/12/10 04:51 PM Re: Building an artificial reef [Re: lovetotravel]
Judyann H. Offline
The folks at Pelican Reef Villas have a beautiful artificial reef. In fact 5 years in we now have 2 Green Moray eels as residents along with lots of grunts, blue tang, juvenile barracuda, juvenile trumpet, yellow tail and an evening visit by some of the big guys from Hol Chan....Maybe the Pelican crew can help out. It's great to have as many nurseries like this as we can.
My friends call me Judyann

#387674 - 09/12/10 04:52 PM Re: Building an artificial reef [Re: lovetotravel]
Diane Campbell Offline
The tour guide association made some a while back - ask them. They were concrete bell-shaped domes with lots of holes in them.

#387677 - 09/12/10 04:58 PM Re: Building an artificial reef [Re: lovetotravel]
Judyann H. Offline
Yes, Diane if I remember correctly it was old concrete that was used at the pier site nursery....Somehow our underwater friends seem to like to make homes from the stuff.

#387679 - 09/12/10 06:28 PM Re: Building an artificial reef [Re: Judyann H.]
CaptOneIron Offline
Have a look here: http://www.reefball.org/

This is a 501(c)3 organization which means donations are tax deductible in the US. These folks have had great success and seem to be trying to do the right thing ecologically.
Captain One Iron

#387681 - 09/12/10 07:18 PM Re: Building an artificial reef [Re: lovetotravel]
Judyann H. Offline
Yes, Excellent this looks like what Diane was talking about. They even have a San Pedro Project on the Website....Great job! I couldn't find the investment needed for project...If anyone else knows? Maybe it is affordable in conjunction with the project costs of a new pier?

#387686 - 09/12/10 08:43 PM Re: Building an artificial reef [Re: lovetotravel]
markw Offline
I looked at the reefball thing quite a while back. It seemed that they were trying to sell the molds, they were pretty expensive. They seemed to be geared more for a large project or maybe conservation groups. It is really a cool idea though.

I started a small one using leftover concrete blocks and PVC pipe for support. I'll know in a couple of weeks how it is doing, if it is holding up I plan to add to it. If not, modify the plans a bit.

#387688 - 09/12/10 09:28 PM Re: Building an artificial reef [Re: markw]
seashell Offline
Paradise Villas had some of those at the end of their dock. I haven't been swimming off that particular dock for quite a while, so don't know how they are doing but a few years back it was quite nice.
A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 93 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,636 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,728 Topics
461,285 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.