Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#387660 09/12/10 01:18 PM
Viking Offline OP
OP Offline
Don't care about the IL story, I am just being straight. What would that get? Don't care bout INS at this time etc.. Just house and what goes with that. Yes I know this is vague, but just need a semi comfortable place, on beach if possible, then I can go from there

Thumbprint Art -- Raw -- Powerful -- Emotion --
Viking Offline OP
OP Offline
Or if anyone has anything avail for long term starting in feb. Let me know as we have contacted a few people and don't get many replies. Thanks

Talk to Richard McMinimy at CasaCayo realty on Ambergris and he can guide you. I personally don't think $1500 a month is doable on AC but Richard could tell you and he is also knowledgeable about the mainland.

Captain One Iron
B
B
Check this link from AARP
http://www.aarp.org/home-garden/liv...0/best-places-retire-belize-corozal.html

And this one for affordable homes
http://www.royalcolonyestate.4t.com/

Shameless plug I know

$1500 a month budget for here is too cheap start by doubling it.

San Pedro based Belize Blog since 2007 - great travel resources & discounts https://tacogirl.com/

Yes at first you need to double that maybe after you are settled in about 6 months you can figure out what to eat and do cheaper. But you have to eat and have to pay for a place to stay it takes a while to get in the grove and find out the bottom line expenses. You can probably live on that on the mainland in the jungle, in a shack.

mary
Viking Offline OP
OP Offline
OK, well not looking to live in the jungle in a shack, been there done that. Here is what I get so far. I can get a place that is somewhat what I am looking for in about the $750 - $800 range, cable is about $25/month and then utilities can be somewhere between $75 - $100/month. Not sure how much phone (cell) or internet cost. but just the above comes to around $925 so I will just round to $1K/month just on the housing. I can't see that I would spend $500/month on food but I really don't know what the local prices for local food is. Please, seriously, let me know what I am missing

S
S
I know many here that are on tight budgets and live quite lean (inexpensive housing) and struggle on much more than you are planning.

Groceries / toiletries / OTC meds are pretty expensive in general (easily double and some triple what we paid in the US), so not sure what you will be using or eating for $500 per month. Example: cereal is $16 BZE / $8 US and in the states it would be $4. These things add up quickly! Rice and beans might work out, but TP and shampoo could do you in. LOL

Some of the chinese places have cooked to order meals with lots of fresh veggies. No way could I prepare the dish for what we pay (the chop suey there is $18 BZE and could serve as 2 meals).

You may want to figure in a few other items such as communications (cell phone) or transportation costs (if you buy a bike, have the occasional need for a taxi or need to go to the mainland). Also, the utilities may be different based on where you are - city water vs well or cistern. I think you should allow more for electric (or gas) even if you aren't using AC, you will need to cook, refrigerate, hot water for shower and cleaning and run fans.

In any case, I doubt the local panderers will like you much wink

Viking Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you very much, again you have been very helpful. Yes I guess (stupid as it sounds -- cuz it is) I forgot TP etc... guess that means I need to know how much beer cost's also..

OH and yes I am planning on eating a ton of rice and beans so, watch out..ha..

We are planning on getting a bike and a golf cart also.

Right now just trying to plan the basic cost's so I can plan on how many years what I have will go, plus I plan on getting a job somewhere.

And you are correct the local panderers will probably not like me so much

G
G
Golf cart isn't a basic. And, you can't just buy one and license it. It involves permits, insurance, environmental fees and the permits are limited. Whenever, things are limited, and you want it it usually involves "extra fees". Do you know the word baksheesh, from another part of the world? I hope you get the drift, people are telling you shack in the jungle, and you have been there, done that. It isn't cheap here. It even costs $50Bz each month for the first 6 months to register with Immigration. After the first 6 months it is $100 Bz a month, until you can apply for residency. Then it's $100 a month until they process the paperwork. This can take months. Add that in!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 281 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.