Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#388359 09/23/10 08:16 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
If you watch NBA basketball you'll definitely know Chris "Birdman" Anderson - he's the flamboyant Power forward for the Denver Nuggets known for his eccentric hairstyles and dominance on the boards.

Well, he's coming to Belize tomorrow. Belize Natural Energy is bringing him for what is being called a goodwill visit. They are partnering with the Belize basketball Federaiton and President Paul Thompson told us more:..

Paul Thompson, President of the BBF
"The "Birdman" Chris Anderson will be visiting a few high schools on the Southside of Belize and he will also be attending an exhibition game that will be held in the UB gymnasium in Belmopan. This exhibition game will be between the U-15 national team and the Sacred Heart High School team that just win silver medal in the Codecador games. he will be there to give a message and to sign autograph and greet people."

He arrives at 11:55 am tomorrow and his first stop will be at the Stella Maris School.

Channel 7

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Chris "The Birdman" Andersen To Visit Belize

At the invitation of the Belize Basketball Federation and Belize Natural Energy, on Thursday September 23rd 2010, NBA star Chris "The Birdman" Andersen will arrive in Belize on a good will visit.

Andersen is set to arrive at the Phillip Goldson International Airport at eleven in the morning. We are requesting that each media house submit the name(s) of the person(s) who will be attending Andersen's arrival at the PGIA.

During his two day stay in Belize, Andersen will be visiting with students from Belize City, Belmopan as well as Santa Elena and San Ignacio. He will also attend in an exhibition match set for Thursday night between Belize's National Under 15 basketball team and Sacred Heart College. Both teams are fresh off silver medal performances in regional tournaments in Guatemala and Nicaragua respectively. Tip off of the game is set for 7:30 at the UB auditorium in Belmopan. Tickets are five dollars each.

Please find a full schedule of Andersen's visit to Belize below.

Thanks in advance for your cooperation.

Official Program for Chris Andersen Visit
Thursday September 23rd 2010

11:00 AM Welcome to Belize BNE/BBF/Media at PGIA

12:00 Visit to Stella Maris accompanied by Mrs. Kim Simpliss Barrow

14:00 Lunch hosted by US Ambassador to Belize, Belmopan

15:00 Visit to Our Lady of Guadalupe High School, Belmopan

19:30 Address by Chris Andersen/Signing of Autographs
Exhibition Game Belmopan UB Auditorium
Sacred Heart College vs. Belize National under 15 team

Friday September 24th 2010

7:00 Morning Show on Love FM/Love TV

8:00 Kick off rally with silver medallists San Ignacio

10:00 Wesley College

11:00 Excelsior

12:00 Lunch

13:00 Sadie Vernon

14:00 Maude Williams

(Depart Belize)

Biographical Information on Chris Andersen

Chris Andersen has played professional basketball since 1999, playing for teams in both China and the United States. In July 2009, he signed to be a centre/power forward with the Denver Nuggets for the next five years. Andersen got his nickname, "The Birdman" for his habit of crossing his arms and flapping his hands like wings after making one of his league leading blocks or slam dunks.

While today Andersen is on the top of his game, not so long ago, he hit rock bottom. In January 2006, Andersen was banned from the NBA for violating the association's drug policy. But with the help of his mentor and friend, Mark Bryant, Andersen cleaned up his act and after being reinstated in March 2008, got his game on. When he resigned with the Denver Nuggets in 2008, Andersen finished that season second in the league in blocks per game at 2.42 per contest, despite a mere 20.5 minutes of playtime per game. His 5.68 blocks per 48 minutes played was the best in the NBA.

Throughout his career Andersen has been dedicated to making the lives of children and the less fortunate better. In addition to working as a spokesman and team player with several organizations, Andersen has bought thousands of dollars of tickets for home games for distribution to charities and families and has even had his artwork auctioned off to benefit children in need.

NOTE TO EDITORS:
For more information, please contact:
Paul Thompson at [email protected]/610-1707

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
in the Jewel on a brief visit, was the six foot ten inches tall, NBA star, Chris "the Birdman'' Andersen. He has played for the New Orleans Hornets and is currently with the Denver Nuggets. Birdman has made a spectacular comeback; he was banned for two years in 2006 for violating the league’s drug policy. But since his reinstatement in 2008, a mature Birdman emerged to sign a contract worth up to twenty-six million U.S. dollars. According to the Belize Basketball Federation's president, the Birdman is here to share a "stay in school" message with students. His visit has been facilitated by the Belize Basketball Federation and Belize Natural Energy. Birdman's first stop was at the Stella Marris School where the children were more than happy to welcome the superstar. And that's where News' Five Jose Sanchez caught up with him.

Jose Sanchez, Reporting

Chris 'The Birdman' Andersen is well known for the brightly colored tattoos as well as for his ability to slam dunk and block the shots of his opponents. He plays ball for the Denver Nuggets. The Birdman is in Belize to speak to students about following their dreams. The Birdman's first speech was on the basketball court of Stella Maris School in Belize City.

Chris "The Birdman" Anderson, NBA Player

"My dream was to go to the NBA as a little kid. And I had a lot of people tell me I couldn't do it. But I did it, not only once, but I did it twice. I had obstacles in my life that I had to overcome and beat through-like there is a wall that you have to beat down to get through that to your dreams. And no matter how big that wall is, no matter how thick that wall is, if you can reach your dreams and beat it down and get across that wall, you can accomplish those and get to that, it's the best feeling in the world."

The students were quiet and attentive as the NBA player spoke. They crowded him with after the pep talk.

Chris "The Birdman" Anderson

"I'm just down here to say hi to the kids, spread the love. Come down and visit some kids and share my story and get to experience the country of Belize. I am here with B.N.E., with Susan and I'm just touring around and saying hello to the Belize."

Jose Sanchez

"And your story. What is the story that you are sharing in a short format?"

Chris "The Birdman" Anderson

"No matter your struggles, you should always push forward and hold your goals up high and achieve your dreams and stay in school."

Before leaving for Belmopan, Anderson took a photo op. with the kids and signed a few autographs. And whether through signs or voice, the kids made it clear that they were happy for their few minutes with the brightly colored six feet ten inches basketball player.

Tevon, Student

"He say he likes him."

Jose Sanchez

"And the height and the haircut?"

Tevon

"He says yeah."

Tony Esquilliano, Student

tony esquilliano

"He good."

Jose Sanchez

"What about his height and ih tattoos?"

Tony Esquilliano

"He nice up."

Jose Sanchez

"So you mi feel excited fi see a NBA player?"

Tony Esquilliano

"Yes."

Jose Sanchez

"How you mi feel about the Birdman's visit?"

alex zuniga jr.

Alex Zuniga Jr., Student

"Great!"

Jose Sanchez

'You mi enjoy it?"

Alex Zuniga

"Yeah."

Selvin, Student

selvin

"I like see when he speak."

Jose Sanchez

"And weh you name?"

Selvin

"Selvin."

Jose Sanchez

"And weh you mi think about ih height and ih hairdo?"

Selvin

"Ih big and ih look strong and ih dunk."

Jose Sanchez

"And you woulda mi want wah hairdo like that?"

Selvin

"Yeah."

calvin mckay

Calvin McKay, Student

"Well the man good. I like see how di man play on TV."

Jose Sanchez

"So how you mi feel fi meet ahn just now?"

Calvin McKay

"I feel good to mein. I feel good that the man know how fi play and my school dah the first stop."

Kenroy Nicholas, Student

"He mi look good and hard."

Jose Sanchez

"Ih make you want play more ball right?"

Kenroy Nicholas

kenroy nicholas

"Yes Sir."

Jose Sanchez

"And what about the message of trying hard?"

Kenroy Nicholas

"You have to keep up the good work."

Jose Sanchez

"Are you going to look at some of the local high school talent?"

Chris 'The Birdman' Anderson

"Yeah. I was told that I was gonna check out some games and ive always loved to watch basketball and I'm gonna check it out. I heard they took silver and I wanna see them play if not play against them."

Andrea Polanco, 7 News

"What do you hope to achieve through this goodwill visit?"

Chris 'The Birdman' Anderson

"I just want to share my position that I'm in being a professional athlete. Growing up as a kid, I grew up in a children's home and I never really had that kind of inspiration. So I told myself whenever I got to my dreams and accomplished my goals and stuff that I would give back just as much as I could in the position that I am in. I like it here. It's hot, but I grew up in Texas and it is hot there too. So it's good to come back time to Belize again. Hopefully next time, whenever I come back, I'll be able to play a little basketball with some of these guys."

Reporting for News Five, Jose Sanchez

Later tonight, Andersen will be attending an exhibition match between Belize's National Under-fifteen basketball team and Sacred Heart College at the UB gymnasium in Belmopan. In addition to visiting schools in Belmopan, on Friday he will also give pep talks at Maude Williams High, Excelsior High, Sadie Vernon High and Wesley College.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 321 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.