Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#388382 09/23/10 11:55 AM
Cayemen Offline OP
OP Offline
I'm just curious if I'm the only one with this problem.

Since last night my Open VPN over port 1194 has problem to connect. Has BTL made some changes?

One of my friends on facebook is reporting the same problem.

They are blocking VPN's because they are used to hide VOIP transfers. Such a pity; I wanted to switch over to the hard lines BTL is installing up north, but I guess not now. Their price is the same as the unlimited business account with Hughes Net or a super fast account with iDirect. They are sabotaging their own network!

Cayemen Offline OP
OP Offline
Without VPN i have trouble to access the CPanel of my web servers.
(Creating e-amil accounts, redirects, database edits and much more)

Because BTL is blocking some ports I can not connect with https / SSL to my servers.

Does anybody know is the VPN block temporary or do I need tho switch to a Hugnes satellite dish.

Try one of the TCP 433 Server and let me know if that works.

Cayemen Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks Port 433 works, had to change it on the client and the server side. (my SW and HW Firewall also let it trough)

You are welcome, glad it worked. I was told about this from a friend in San Pedro.

M
M
Originally Posted by Portofino
They are blocking VPN's because they are used to hide VOIP transfers. Such a pity; I wanted to switch over to the hard lines BTL is installing up north, but I guess not now. Their price is the same as the unlimited business account with Hughes Net or a super fast account with iDirect. They are sabotaging their own network!

Not only that, this policy scares away a lot if investors and potential businesses we could have. Call Centers is but one . Why did the GOB take over BTL if it was not for the good of the people. Seems like same policies and same prices. I will not put in BTL DSL for the same reasons; blocking VOIP.

Originally Posted by Portofino
Their price is the same as ... Hughes Net ... iDirect.

To clarify: we already have those connections; BTL subscription cost is the same as mentioned satellite companies. When you have install, BTL is obviously much cheaper because you don't have to buy a satellite dish and have it installed.

Originally Posted by Mike Campbell
Not only that, this policy scares away a lot if investors and potential businesses we could have.

Agreed, when I talk to people that want to live here, retire or invest, internet connection and telephone reliability & excessive expenses scares them off 7 times out of 10! That is my observation talking to the guests at our resort.

Jan van Noord

T
T
I agree that the policy is ridiculous and think that BTL could be better operated by a troop of monkeys. I few years back there were some call centers in Belize most of which have now gone. The type of call centers that were here (fake name brand drugs, shady investment firms) did not really help us much and certainly did not hire many Belizeans at all.

It would be nice to please everyone but for the most part I like the idea of people coming here to retire. That will do the most for this country in the short term. Long term it would be nice to see how investment and communications could play a role in new business ideas and models as long as they will train and hire a Belizean work force. I think everyone knows by now simply bringing in more tax dollars only has benefit for a few high ranking politicians but a skilled job is something even the government can't take away from you no matter how incompetent they might be.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.