Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#388767 - 09/29/10 05:35 PM Buying Liquor at the airport
McLovin Offline
Hey guys. When I was down last year I took your advise and bought liquor at the duty free at the airport and saved a bunch of money. But I took the boat out to the island and this year I will be flying out. Can I carry my booze on the plane in my carry on or do I have to put it in my checked luggage? As a diver my checked bag is already pushing the 50lbs limit. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

#388770 - 09/29/10 06:08 PM Re: Buying Liquor at the airport [Re: McLovin]
Loansum-Al K Offline
It has to go into a checked bag........the over 3oz of liquid rule applies to Tropic & Maya also.

#388771 - 09/29/10 06:08 PM Re: Buying Liquor at the airport [Re: McLovin]
swanno Offline
Your booze must go into your checked luggage, you shouldn't have a problem with Tropic if you have a bag over the 50lb limit

#388773 - 09/29/10 06:22 PM Re: Buying Liquor at the airport [Re: McLovin]
McLovin Offline
thanks guys. YOu don't happen to know how much a person can get duty free do you? I drank so much I forgot. Can't wait to get back down there.

#388775 - 09/29/10 06:32 PM Re: Buying Liquor at the airport [Re: McLovin]
Ernie B Offline
I could be wrong but it seems like 6 bottles. No prob withe the weight.

#388780 - 09/29/10 07:07 PM Re: Buying Liquor at the airport [Re: Ernie B]
gecko_girl Offline
You could flat pack an extra bag or box in your luggage for the bottles. Even if Tropic charge you for it as cargo, you are only looking at $8-10 for the box.

#388781 - 09/29/10 07:20 PM Re: Buying Liquor at the airport [Re: Ernie B]
Loansum-Al K Offline
Ernie, I'm sure it's only 4 bottles per person.

#388791 - 09/29/10 08:15 PM Re: Buying Liquor at the airport [Re: McLovin]
swanno Offline
I think its 4 litres per person so equates to 6 normal size bottles

#388797 - 09/29/10 09:10 PM Re: Buying Liquor at the airport [Re: McLovin]
seashell Offline
I buy my duty free bottle on my way back home from BZ, and it is fine on the first leg of the flight, but when I hit transfer point at Houston, the bottle has to be stowed in my checked luggage or it will be confiscated. Well, isn't that a kick in the pants? Generally, checked luggage is not back in your hands at that point. In order to keep them from confiscating your dutyfree booze, you can go over to the Continental desk before going up the escalator to security (over to the left of the luggage screening machines), and they will sell you a $20 box, that is supposed to protect your bottle. They then box it up, tape it up and put it into special luggage handling, right then and there. They give you a matching claim slip for it and it should arrive in one piece on the special luggage carousel at your home destination. (make sure duty free store puts those plastic mesh protectors on your bottles). I still have my original $20 box, and I take it down to BZ with me and use it over and over again, so I've got my monies worth out of it. Buying a new box every time I bought a duty free bottle would completely defeat the purpose of buying duty free. I hope this helps.

Edited by seashell (09/30/10 01:14 AM)
Edit Reason: attempt at clarity

#388799 - 09/29/10 09:34 PM Re: Buying Liquor at the airport [Re: McLovin]
catdance62 Offline
You know that little duty free shop they put in the terminal at Goldson when you come into the country? how does that work? Like, I thought duty-free was supposed to be taken OUT of the country, not purchased as you enter.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 30 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,672 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,036 Topics
462,242 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.