Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#388823 09/29/10 07:39 PM
R
OP Offline
R
Hi all,

Coming out of lurking here to say hello and ask a question. Or two. Or more.....

My boyfriend and I are researching a move from Alaska to Belize in the next couple years. We are both IT professionals, and though we both meet the age for QRP, in order to move soon we'd need to telecommute. The problem is I'm not seeing any true high-speed internet services advertised. 1mbps (BTL's max listed on their site) is not exactly high speed, especially with two of us using it. eek

We also have an 6 month old puppy who's already 80lbs. We're looking at possibly Caye Caulker (though nowhere in Belize is ruled out yet) - but can anyone give me logistics on getting such a beast onto the island?

We're tentatively planning to visit in early April to case the joint...I mean look around Belize...to see what area resounds best with us, and verify that this is, in fact, the right choice. Any suggestions are welcome! We are not looking for wild excitement or a fancy place - just a little house where we can have a couple fruit trees and a small boat to fish, so hopefully not TOO far from the coast.

BTL has 2mb although not listed on their site. If you move to the mainland there is another company selling internet but I'm not sure of their speeds, only the fact that they allow VOIP.

R
OP Offline
R
Thanks a lot, hazzyy. We may end up on the mainland for that reason, or perhaps waiting another year so we don't have to telecommute. Plus I'm still not sure how I'd get my big lug of a pup over the water, anyway.

We're still coming down in April, though. Figure we'll check out the different districts and see what clicks. It'll be fun exploring, anyway.

Cheers all! Be glad you're down in the warmth - we're watching snow creep down the mountain toward us.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.