Ambergris Caye Caye Caulker HELP! Visitor Center Businesses Lodging

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#388903 - 09/30/10 04:49 PM NEMO
SportsBar Offline
I have a few questions concerning NEMO??? Who is NEMO? What is the purpose of NEMO? Six or eight weeks ago there was a storm called Alex and the storm was approximately 40 mile an hour winds when it crossed Caye Caulker, the tourist police came into my restaurant, I had approximately 60 or 70 customers and they said I had to close my bar completely. I said I have several food orders in the kitchen and they said I could serve them in to go boxes as people have to leave. I said to the tourist police that there are about 40 or 45 people that have not eaten yet and they said they had to get out. My question is this what authority does NEMO have to shut down the whole island with 40 mile an hour winds? It was not a hurricane, it was a weak Tropical Storm. What I call there actions that day is abuse to the people that live on Caye Caulker. The past Tropical Storm called Matthew, one of my customers got a phone call at 9PM Thur. night and Matthew was just about to enter Central America. She is apparently a member of NEMO and she said the message was to start evacuation of Caye Caulker. I understand she made some phone calls. I watched several hundred tourists leave the island the following morning, 2 and 3 boats at a time and the storm was just entering Nicaragua at the time with 40 mile an hour winds. They also shut the water taxi down, where do these people called NEMO get all this authority to shut down our island any time they feel like it for no reason. My daddy taught me well if it is raining go in the house you wonít get wet and I donít need NEMO running my life. It is abuse and wrong. One last question when is NEMO going to stop abusing the residents of Caye Caulker? No other city or village in the country gets this kind of abuse.

#388905 - 09/30/10 05:15 PM Re: NEMO [Re: SportsBar]
elbert Offline
I like you sportsbar.
I'm also very annoyed by them and wonder if having made a declaration that there is an emergency do they some how benifit monetarily.
I'm sure this will stir a hornets nest of Hurricane hysteric fans but I'm very suspicious of their intentions and like wise don't need them controlling my business.
Don't need them ,don't want them. Bug off NEMO!
(that should be good for several pages of posts)
The Dive Shops Daily Blog

#388918 - 09/30/10 10:31 PM Re: NEMO [Re: SportsBar]
Gaz Cooper Offline
I believe that the early organization of evacuations etc when tropical storms/Hurricanes approach comes from the lessons learn't from Hurricane Keith or Mitch (I cant remember which) where Ambergris caye was being evacuated but they ran out of time and thousands of people were left on the island to ride the Hurricane out on the island.

There were not enough boats to get people off the island, the estimations of numbers of people on the island were vastly underestimated and it ended with many who wanted to leave the island stranded on the docks with a massive Hurricane bearing down on the island.

There was a lack of organization lack of organized boats to get people off the island in plenty of time etc I was on the island for those Hurricanes and I tell you it was not a fun day out at the beach so while you may feel its over the top it takes a hell of a lot of work to evacuate an island and now both islands are much more busy than they were for KEITH or Mitch.

NEMO was born out of a necessity to have a solid plan of action in place for Hurricane Prepardness in the past Hurricanes/scares etc they have done a great job in the past helping people co-ordinating evacuations setting up shelters overseeing security on the island during storms etc.

Its all great bashing them but somone has to make the call and I expect with over 20,000 on the island its a helluva job to organize all that and if NEMO is not doing it who will ?

Whether things have changed since i have been gone I dont know but when I was there NEMO was well respected and praised for the work they did for the islanders during Hurricanes and Hurricane prepardness.

I wonder what happened when I see someone like Elbert start bashing on them.

Gaz Cooper

Edited by Gaz Cooper (09/30/10 10:35 PM)

#388931 - 10/01/10 08:40 AM Re: NEMO [Re: SportsBar]
SP Daily Offline
Elbert bashes everything without thought of consequence.
NEMO is a vital function and should be respected and supported!

#388942 - 10/01/10 10:02 AM Re: NEMO [Re: SportsBar]
elbert Offline
I don't need intervention in how I conduct my life or business from
especially resent a committee of volunteers from the community dictating martial law, closing airports, scarring away tourist in false alarms and telling be I have to evacuate and abandon my home in an emergency while its looted,
especially a group of amateurs that get off on the temporary authority and importance they receive form the situation.
I could have an attitude.
The Dive Shops Daily Blog

#388951 - 10/01/10 11:29 AM Re: NEMO [Re: SportsBar]
Amanda Syme Offline
For the recent TS Matthew, TS Karl and TS Alex I seem to recall that NEMO did not issue any evacuation orders

There was a tropical storm warning for the coast of Belize during TS Matthew and the met office issued a small craft warning and mariners were asked to cease all unnecessary travel and to stay in port.

Remember that NEMO posts its official notices on the website and provides the notice to the radio and tv stations for broadcast. All the stuff you hear on the streets tends to be rumours and speculation.

It sounds like Caye Caulker doesn't have its own dedicated NEMO representative stationed on the island.

NEMO has a large support team of local doctors, nurses and indeed concerned members of the public that volunteer their time to assist with co-ordination when preparing for emergencies, during emergencies and after the threat has passed but the consequences remain.

If your NEMO volunteers are not capable of handling the task at hand they should be called out and discharged.

I think that the NEMO group on Ambergris Caye is working well at this time. They have been prepared and haven't done or said anything to make anybody hit the panic button.

It sounds as if the problems on Caye Caulker may have been caused by misinterpretation, misunderstandings and miscommunication.

While it is nice and peaceful this might be a good time for the Village council to look into the situation and ensure that it has a solid team ready for when (hopefully if) disaster strikes.

#388953 - 10/01/10 11:44 AM Re: NEMO [Re: Amanda Syme]
Phil Offline
At a certain point in an emergency, such as a storm, the local head of NEMO has the ultimate authority and power in that area to close whatever they wish - I beleive that also includes the right of commandeering your property and or vehicle/boat if deemed appropriate for their/the peoples needs.

These two cases seem extreme as I imagine their authority only comes into power at a certain point ie official Hurricane Watch/Warning. Get in touch with whoever heads up NEMO on the mainland and find out the extent of their powers and at what point they come into force using this example as a reason to learn more of their organisation and to help integrate it and their actions, rather than a stick to beat them with. I'd be interested to know too.

#388954 - 10/01/10 11:45 AM Re: NEMO [Re: SportsBar]
Judyann H. Offline
IMHO>>> From a personal standpoint I have some comfort in knowing that someone has documented my whereabouts during the storm...Just in case I come up missing. The NEMO group that has contacted me has put together an excellent list of people on and off the island so that we all can be accounted for before-during-after a storm......Sportsbar sorry to hear about your business being interrupted, it should certainly be addressed with your local NEMO rep....
My friends call me Judyann

#388971 - 10/01/10 04:53 PM Re: NEMO [Re: SportsBar]
Johnny18 Offline
Hmmm....and all this time I thought that folks were building elevated concrete structures on the Cayes so that they could host "Hurricane Parties" like we have in the southeast US.

#388972 - 10/01/10 05:23 PM Re: NEMO [Re: SportsBar]
Timmy Offline
Ah..sounds like some scamming going on in Caye Caulker. I would definitely check the protocols and the powers vested in your NEMO rep and ally with the locals about the bussinees impact. That said.. Caulker does not have the clout/resouces to ever evacuate. AC did but no longer can really evacuate..really...non-residents is all that they intend to ever move..tourists andisland visitors from the mailand.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 43 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,638 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,734 Topics
461,302 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory Picture of the Day