#387975 09/16/10 05:49 PM
Viking Offline OP
OP Offline
Between CC and AC? Cost etc.

Thumbprint Art -- Raw -- Powerful -- Emotion --
R
ron Offline
R
I have a house on CC and spend about 4 months a year there. Very little time on AC. But here's my take on it. Biggest difference is scale , CC has a population of less than a tenth of AC. Price of property is lower in CC. Amenities are fewer in CC. At the lower end of the eating out places are about the same the higher end offers more places in AC. Food and staples are probably pretty close, everything is barged to both places. Both places get serviced by the same chicken barge for poultry. You can probably find more variety of goods in AC given relative size of both places. I personally like the laid back atmosphere that comes in CC, many people would rather have the faster pace of AC. You should spend time in both places to see which better services your purposes.

I
I
Big difference.

AC - huge fancy hotels, nice restaurants, lively night clubs, big supermarkets. Things are nicer but cost more. Lots of traffic, SUVs and taxis passing you by.

CC - small but clean and affordable hotels, cozy restaurant with good food at reasonable costs, no traffic - just golf carts and bicycles.

P
P
imcc is correct. Remember though that this is a comparison of two very small, sleepy resort destinations compared to many other destinations and some readers who are would be first time visitors may not see the large picture.

Ambergris Caye's largest Hotels are 100 rooms or so and there's two of them. The lively nightclubs are like you would find in a small town in the US. The big supermarkets are like a corner store. There are 70 or so taxis and 300 other motorised car trucks SUV's vehicles (these numbers are off the top of my head) the vast majority of transport is Golf Cart.

There are definately differences and for visitors one place is not the others cup of tea. I think as sister islands we compliment each other really well.

Well put Phil. I like to remind people that the town core is 4 blocks wide and about 8 or 9 blocks long.
I visited Caye Caulker once and just didn't 'feel' it.
I like AC because I can do things like join environmental organizations, Neighborhood watch, garden club etc.
I can also do nothing for many days in a row. But, most of all I like the people I have gotten to know here.
Although there are lots of bars and many people come here and hang out at them on the beach there are a lot of people who don't. Since I don't smoke or drink I like to hang with others who live the same life style.
My 45 year old daughter has been here for a year and she has made a lot of friends relatively her age (she does imbibed some). So there is something for everyone here.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
C
C
Actually there are just shy of 2,500 vehicles that registered for tags with the traffic department on A.C. in 2010. This also includes scooters and trailers and dosnt include all the non registered vehicles.

LONELY PLANET SAYS TOURIST LOVE OUR ART. BEST PRICES ON ART.
P
P
Mischievous dig? The vast majority of these are Golf carts so I guess my numbers are not out by a million miles. Very few non registered vehicles I imagine too. Lots of police and traffic checks these days and I was at Town Borad yesterday getting new stickers and they now inspect the cart and check the Vehicle Identification Number to the permit.

JZB Offline
On AC you can have the best of both worlds. If you want the 'action' you can stay in and around town. If you like your peace and quiet and no traffic, you can stay out of town.

Originally Posted by JZB
On AC you can have the best of both worlds. If you want the 'action' you can stay in and around town. If you like your peace and quiet and no traffic, you can stay out of town.

Amen JZB, I wonder sometimes if people think that ambergris Caye is San Pedro alone. Its almost a different Island up here. San Pedro is nice if you need company, grocery's or to drink and dance after that i want a hammock on the beach and to be undisturbed by all those loud promotions on the PA's.
OMG have you been near Belize Bank today or Caye Supplys, They are blasting loud music and a live announcers voice for promotions of commercial loans and Halloween specials. No Disturbing the Peace laws in San Pedro.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
D
D
Other differences-
Low crime on Caye Caulker
The locals LIKE the "tourists who live here"
Agro disputes are news- not daily biz like AC
It is not needed to drive elsewhere on the island to avoid loud noise,traffic,hustlers.etc.It is not needed to drive at all.
Seeing a gang type in the street is big news.
Dogs on AC bark pretty much nonstop.
AC has better bars
CC has only 21 restaurants- AC has more.
Arrogant overbearing tourists aren't very well received and don't like us much. They often go AC right away where "our money is welcome"

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 297 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day