Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#38956 - 05/09/01 05:16 PM Customs at Airport
KC Offline
OK, this is probably a stupid question, but I have to ask it. My bags, my daughter's bags, and my daughter's friend's bags will be full of: china, towels, and linens. When I fill out that form on the airplane, exactly how do I list this, and when I get to customs at the airport, will they want a detailed list? (like, china, 8 place settings, $15.00 per setting)? Do I list the prices/cost of things, and will I have to pay duty on everything?

I wish there was a "class" I could take to learn all of this stuff. I want to know it all! I apologize for having to run here with every question... but thanks in advance to anyone who will take the time to answer.

Kathy

#38957 - 05/09/01 06:42 PM Re: Customs at Airport
Turnbun Offline
Good question. What about bringing champagne and wine? I'm having all my wedding guests bring over a bottle of champagne or wine since it's so expensive (and not very good, I hear) on AC. How does this work with customs? Can we only bring over one bottle a piece? I'd like to bring over a little more if possible.

#38958 - 05/09/01 07:24 PM Re: Customs at Airport
margarita Offline
KC I tend to be concise on the forms - ie housewares and list an approximate price, and I carry the receipts with me just in case. Sometimes they stop you sometimes they wave you through.

T You can bring more but they can charge you per bottle over - might end up costing more if you have to pay double!

Same with cigarettes - you can bring more but they can charge you.

#38959 - 05/09/01 07:25 PM Re: Customs at Airport
KC Offline
Turn -- My only suggestion is for everyone to *CARRY* the bottles on the plane. I think they would explode in the unpressureized cargo area! (But then, you probably knew that).

Good luck. Hopefully we will get some answers!

Kathy

#38960 - 05/09/01 07:28 PM Re: Customs at Airport
KC Offline
Margarita -- Thanks! And if they do stop me... (which they probably will since we are going to have the maximum allowable luggage!) do we then have to pay duty? (See... I am so uninformed. Have never brought anything other than personal items into a country. I've only *heard* of duty--never paid it!)

Kathy

#38961 - 05/11/01 01:27 PM Re: Customs at Airport
Axeman Offline
Folks I'm going to suggest something that is off the wall. I do not advocate breaking the law in anyway but...I noticed many people comeing into Belize with tons of stuff and several of them had nothing on the Custom's sheet..they did the "Stupid American Act"! If you plan on useing it for personal use as the form says then it's not subject to a tariff...I'm not sure I interpeted it right but thats how I read it.
If you intend on selling the items then your intend is import/export business and you should plan on paying what they ask. I brought many items as gifts and they said nothing. I also had 2k worth of dive gear...not a word said...all for personal use...
Another suggestion is if they do search your luggage, mention that the items are for Hurricane relief gifts. KEYWORD GIFTS!!!
Do what you think is proper....
This is only for going TO AC..not for reentry to the US..I never fool around with US customs..EVER....

#38962 - 05/11/01 05:38 PM Re: Customs at Airport
berferd Offline
Just a correction to KC's comment about commercial airline baggage compartments..they are indeed pressurized.

#38963 - 05/11/01 05:54 PM Re: Customs at Airport
Debbie Offline
If the cabins are pressurized then why are all my shampoo bottles and containers all "sucked in" when I arrive at my destinations???? You open the top and the air rushes in and they pop right back out. It's wierd. Anyone else have this happen?
Debbie

#38964 - 05/11/01 06:06 PM Re: Customs at Airport
berferd Offline
Hi Debbie,

The reason your shampoo bottles are like that after a flight is because airplanes are pressurized to somewhere around 8000 feet ASL, not sea level. When you land and the plane is depressurized, the air pressure outside the shampoo bottle is greater than the air pressure inside the shampoo bottle.

#38965 - 05/11/01 07:18 PM Re: Customs at Airport
Debbie Offline
Thanks Berferd!!! That always puzzled me. You learn something new every day....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 27 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,676 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,064 Topics
462,323 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.