Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#389727 10/12/10 11:14 AM
OP Offline
It's been too long since we've been to San Pedro, but we're fixing that in February 2011. Can hardly wait...

However, we're stuck with a Taca flight from Los Angeles to San Salvador that has a SEVEN hour layover before our flight to Goldson. Our flight arrives in San Salvador about 7:30 AM on a Saturday. I see that the airport is 38 km from downtown, so I don't know if there's any place to go or things to do outside of the airport during the layover.

On some past travels we've had extended waits in Honolulu and been able to take a taxi downtown for dinner and wandering... So, if anyone on the board has recommendations for filling the layover time, I'd appreciate them. Otherwise, it's time for a Michael Connelly novel and airport food....

I traveled that way once but the layover was short as was the flight to Goldson, Maybe 40 minutes. We did not wander from the terminal and can say there is NOT anything there to do. Not much (if I remember) for food either.

Reality is only an illusion that occurs due to a lack of alcohol
It apppears that TACA has modified their schedule and that great flight with a short layover in San Salvador (for all our left coast buddies), now becomes more of an ordeal.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
I
I
Taca still has the short layover flight from SFO. They just haven't been the cheapest option lately.

Ahhh.........I got it. Just not a daily flight any longer, or perhaps never was ?

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
C
C
San Salvador has some really modern shopping malls,huge ones, I was stuck overnite. Really enjoyed it, very surprised. Some beautiful Churches and interesting old market place but 7 hrs is not really much time. It takes about 45 minutes to get downtown, Taxis from the airport are a rip off. The airport can be crazy busy when you go to leave. If you want to chance it, take a taxi to a major hotel in Centro Town and talk to the concierge about whats nearby ask him to set you up with an English speaking taxi driver that you can hire for a few hours and have him take you back to the airport..this should cost about$30 to $40 for 3 or 4 hours,if you dont do alot of driving, get back to the airport at least 2 1/2hrs before flight...it gets insane...The airport, shops and 5 or 6 places to eat are very modern, clean and safe....lots of big name designer shops....

LONELY PLANET SAYS TOURIST LOVE OUR ART. BEST PRICES ON ART.
OP Offline
Thanks for the feedback! Cooper, it sounds like San Salvador would be a fun place to spend some time, but we probably don't have enough to make it work. We've flown Taca before and had short layovers in San Salvador, but as others noted, they've changed their schedules. Taca still has a short layover on their LAX to Goldson weekday flights, but not on Saturdays.... Oh well, we'll just have to be ready for some mind-numbing waiting.

It's an interesting airport; we've seen the higher end retail, intermixed with some rather odd stores - like the cracker and cookie store. The food vendors at the airport were pretty much a mixed bag....

C
C
Found this on another message board....

One thing I can suggest is probably going to the beach. Its not like hawaii with white sand or crystal clear water, but the beaches there have their own natural charm and can be beautiful. I would say its worth the visit. I would suggest maybe la dolce vita restaurant its got a couple of levels and a nice bar overlooking the beach. Other restaurants of note are Club Sunzal, or La Ola. Both great places for ambiance and food. However if you are going to have seafood I would suggest picking something that is cooked not chilled like a cocktail. The closest beach is about maybe 15 - 20 minutes from the airport, but they are worth the visit. Be careful, and have fun!

LONELY PLANET SAYS TOURIST LOVE OUR ART. BEST PRICES ON ART.

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 149 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,028
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.