Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#389895 - 10/14/10 08:50 AM Max “Pain”, one of seven to Box against Mexico
Marty Online   happy

This coming Friday, boxing aficionados will convene at the Biltmore for what is intended to be a revival of the very physical sport. This station is closely following the comeback and will air the matches after the evening news. Tonight we feature twenty-three year old Max ‘Pain’ Williams, an up and coming boxer who signed up for Friday’s exhibition match. At five feet, nine inches with three wins and two losses, he will be taking on a Mexican opponent. News Five’s Jose Sanchez has the stats on “The Pain”.

Jose Sanchez, Reporting

Max "Pain" Williams

Not many people are aware of the existence of the dungeon at the Belize City Center. Beneath the structure, there is a dark passage way that leads to a door. If you dare to walk through the rancid pools of water to reach the dungeon’s doorway, you would still have to walk through broken glass. But inside the small space bounded by dull lights and bland walls, are a few used instruments awaiting to be mastered by gladiators of the ring.

Max ‘The Pain’ Williams intends to do just that in the ring this Friday, as a chosen fighter in the exhibition matches against Mexico.

Max ‘Pain’ Williams, Boxer

“I’ve trained for five years now and we noh di get the amount of fight weh we suppose to get and I want reach pro so I want this fight bad. Bad, bad, bad. As bad as anybody could get wah fight because this fight wah tell me if I ready fi go dah pro next year. Well it kinda hard because they noh really got fighters ina my weight. They got fighters ina my weight but they noh wah fight me. Whenever deh see who deh wah fight they either noh show up or they just noh come. So ih hard fi get wah fight right now but this fight right yah, I hope this one yah happen and I wah prove miself and tell everybody come out and see the fight and thing.”

By day Max works as a security guard at Safeway Drugstore on Central American Boulevard. By night he is a gladiator.

Max ‘Pain’ Williams

“I noh do hard work. I do security. So ih noh really di give me no strain fi di work out. But just the hours I can’t get weh I want fi the work out. I di run like six miles right now—three go three come back, ina the gym everyday fi wah two hours. Basically I di do everything I could fi get ina shape fi this fight.”

Williams has inspired his nephew and cousin who have decided to join him in the gym.

Tom Jones, Nephew of Max ‘Pain’ Williams

Tom Jones

“Actually, Mister Williams dah my uncle. Like di man study push effort and thing fi come dah gym and den deh. Man wake wi dah mawning run wah three miles four miles. Well actually I deh with he fi six miles—three miles go three miles come back. The man push effort and thing so I think the man wah do good pan this fight and thing. Like how ih seh, everybody always run from ahn.”

Jose Sanchez

“What do you like about his fighting style? What is it that you see?”

Shaheem Adolphus

Shaheem Adolphus, Cousin, of Max ‘Pain’ Williams

“Well ih di push effort. Sometimes, ih come from work ih come straight dah gym. Sometimes ih just send my cousin fi come hail me fi come practice.”

Jose Sanchez

“And what you think dah Max strongpoint—left hand right hand uppercut? What do you think?”

Shaheem Adolphus

“Well ih right.”

Max ‘Pain’ Williams

“A win for the county and put Belize on the map.”

As one youth sprays it on the ground, now is the time for Boxing. Reporting for News Five, Jose Sanchez.

Channel 5

#389989 - 10/15/10 08:59 AM Re: Max “Pain”, one of seven to Box against Mexico [Re: Marty]
Marty Online   happy

“Boxing, Boxing!....”

Today when we visited the Biltmore Hotel it looked like a poorman's version of the MGM Grand in Vegas, not as big and flashy, but the huge ring that was laid out in the conference hall certainly gave it that prize-fighting feel. Tomorrow night it will come alive as 7 Belizeans - 6 males and 1 female take on a Mexicans delegation well schooled and seasoned in what they might call la ciencia dulce.

Anthony Michael, Director of The National Sports Council told us more:

Anthony Michael, Director of The National Sports Council
"Boxing has been dormant in Belize for many years. I was approach by Mr. Smart and he ask, Mr. Michael I have a gym, I have some guys training there, they are becoming frustrated and I said let's have a boxing match and he said what would be nice if they had done it before with the Mexican. I went over there and met the director of sports in Chetumal and I must say they welcome us openly. Ms. Ester Montario from the Embassy of Mexico has been extremely helpful. I must thank her from the bottom of my heart on behalf of the people of Belize. She had made the contact for us, she had assisted us, she is still assisting us and so forth and the Mexicans are coming in tomorrow, they will be arriving at the Biltmore at 11:00 am where we will have the official weighing and I encourage all the Belizean people; we have limited seating capacity but I think a lot of people have stop by and think tickets are being sold already here. They are being sold at the national sports council until mid-day tomorrow and after that it will be sold at the Biltmore hotel. But I think when people came in and saw what we have done and the level that we have raise it, people said they feel like they are at Las Vegas so it will be a wonderful event we have seating capacity for about 380 people. The first 380 people that come will enter, we don't want to turn away anybody, but if we have to that would be a good thing because it shows that Belizeans are committed to sports and especially to the sport of boxing. Having these fighters being in practice for the last 3 - 4 years without any major fight and still training it shows they are discipline and it shows their character and tomorrow they will make Belize proud."

Andrea Polanco
"So what's next for boxing in Belize after this match?"

Anthony Michael, Director of The National Sports Council
"We plan to have an event like this every 3 months. If it is not with Mexico or other neighboring countries, we want to encourage the other trainers like Mr. Dakers and other people to start opening back their gym and we might have friendly match between gym to gym and so forth we start selecting national team where can compete against other countries."

The bouts start at 6 p.m. Reserve tickets cost fifteen dollars, five dollars for general and children under 12 enter free.

Channel 7

#389990 - 10/15/10 09:00 AM Re: Max “Pain”, one of seven to Box against Mexico [Re: Marty]
Marty Online   happy

Sherman “Hook Up” Galvez represents Belize in Boxing versus Mexico

Friday night’s exhibition boxing matches are gaining momentum so get ready to rumble. As the local boxers train for the anticipated event, the last minute details are being put in place at the Biltmore. Channel Five will be broadcasting the boxing revival after our evening news package and earlier today News Five’s Jose Sanchez caught up with one of the hopefuls, Sherman Galvez, also known as “The Hook Up.”

Jose Sanchez, Reporting

One of Belize’s hopes at the upcoming Belize /Mexico boxing match is ‘The Hook Up,’ twenty seven year old Sherman Galvez. The Hook Up stands at five feet seven inches and weighs one hundred and fifty pounds.

Sherman “Hook Up” Galvez, Boxer

Sherman "Hook Up" Galvez

“I da di most experienced in the gym. They had these guys; Moses Sulph, Harris Kill, they were more experienced than me, but they give it up. Dehn guys got to old and them thing dehn.”

Jose Sanchez

“Now tell me about the training your doing for this match up with the Mexicans.”

Sherman “Hook Up” Galvez

“Well I’ve been training for like the past eight months, but nothing too serious; just keep ina shape and dehn thing deh. And now eventually this fight come up and like three weeks preparation—totally like three weeks. I feel like I can square off good.”

Jose Sanchez

“What are your strong points in the ring?”

Sherman “Hook Up” Galvez

“My strong points: left hook, right cross—my two strongest punch.”

While the Hookup contemplates the Friday night fight, the National Sports Council Executive Director was putting the final touches on the ring inside the Biltmore.

Anthony Michael, Executive Director, National Sports Council

Anthony Michael

“We got the donation of the ring from Mister Gustavo Torres in San Ignacio. He use to be a promoter—a hard supporter of the boxing association—and he indicated to us that he will be donating the ring free of cost.”

Jose Sanchez

“It seems to me that the biggest battle or fight within boxing is not with opponents but rather to keep the sport alive. Is it going to be kept alive after this? What assurances?”

Anthony Michael

“Certainly, we have partnered with Biltmore Hotel. When I approached Biltmore Hotel in terms of the promotion of sports in terms of providing a healthier lifestyle for Belize, they overwhelmingly said yes, with absolutely no doubt. I met with the coordinators, the managers and so forth. They have been here all day with me today assisting and helping and we want to do a boxing every three months.”

Sherman “Hook Up” Galvez

“The first time primary school days, I was about fourteen. Den deh time dah Miss Gill dah mi the trainer—used to be a lady trainer. But anyways it start from there. Eventually, I fight other guys, like the sport and decided to stay in and take it serious. For a while, had couple fights. About two loss when I first begin and afterwards win down the line. I’m self -employed. I do deliveries at the Port. So if you for instance come for a barrel or so, you noh have no transportation, I heng out deh, I have my pickup, you hail me and I get the job done.

Jose Sanchez

“So you hard work out deh dah port?”

Sherman “Hook Up” Galvez

Jose Sanchez

“Monday to Friday?”

Sherman “Hook Up” Galvez

“Monday to Friday.”

Less than twenty four hours from fight time and the four ropes are taut for ‘pound for pound’ action. Belize takes the red corner and Mexico takes the blue. The outcome is unpredictable as the local boys have no knowledge of their opponents. Will it be the lack of boxing matches that seal their fate or will victory be on account of the hunger that has kept them waiting for so long in the belly of the City Center’s dungeon? Reporting for News Five, Jose Sanchez.

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (Marty, 1 invisible), 76 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,633 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,706 Topics
461,226 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.