Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
X
OP Offline
X
I've been a Peter (Pedro) apologist, but no more. My wife (a veterinarian) recently brought some veterinary medicines to donate to SAGA. A friend (another vet) also brought some drugs to donate to SAGA and the private vet. It appears thst Peter has a problem with SAGA selling donated medicines but not the private vet (his girlfriend?). I have heard that Peter, although abrasive, does good things for San Pedro. In this case, he is doing a major disservice to the indigent animals of the community. To all who warned me, I apologize.

Last edited by XIIthMan; 10/16/10 03:40 PM.
T
T
You guys are the Bomb ,thanks for the help with SAGA, as you know they need it. Its people like yourself that make San Pedro the community that it is .
Cheers

Last edited by Tim Callanan; 10/16/10 07:43 PM. Reason: what else grammer :}
S
S
So the issue is that the private vet has accepted donated medications and is now selling them for profit? My understanding is that she has also provided charity care in the past and has gone through the proper steps to be able to accept donations (through FOTHS?). It probably wouldn't hurt to just ask her how she is keeps her books relative to donations.

Too bad the 2 entities cannot work together to provide vet coverage year round for the Island. Services offered could complement one another as well. It is all about the animals IMO.

X
OP Offline
X
More info, our friend donated the same medication to both SAGA (more) and the private vet. Both are re-selling it but the private vet and Peter are crying foul.

Peter, if you're reading, this is Pat. You let me down.

Peter is banned from this board and does not have a voice here.

Since this story has gotten out anyway, we need to make it quite clear what the issues are. The folks above were very kindly bringing donated medicines and other supplies into Belize for Saga HS (a not for profit) and it now appears for SPAH/private vet as well (who also has a nfp foundation on the side), but doing so without an import permit from BAHA (which BTW the same folks and others did for private vet many times while she was still at SAGA).

This is one of the things that Mr. Lawrence has just cried foul against Saga with the BAHA authorities and BZ Vet Board, but quite obviously in the past and even on this occasion, he and private vet don't mind doing the same themselves (accepting drugs brought in without an import permit).

We have many emails confirming that the private vet engaged in these practices while at Saga, including outright requests for Saga volunteers to "smuggle" things in. We have never been interested in "outing" this information before because we truly just want to get on with the business of helping the animals (and yes it IS supposed to be about that), but when you find yourself continually under attack from all sides, your very existence threatened, you need to defend yourself.

The other issue Saga was "called on" was using expired meds -- (to be clear, our current vet has only used them on shelter animals and subsidy (non-pay) cases, which many HS's do). Saga is now researching the extent to which the laws actually prohibit this kind of use since as a practical matter we all know there is still efficacy in these meds for at least a reasonable period past their official expiry date, and we are not harming the animals we are just maximizing the resources we have to help them. This is also a practice which the private vet took part in while at Saga (our clinic assistant can vouch for that) and after her departure on at least one occasion, we have it in writing.

At the moment however, we have removed all expired drugs from our premises as directed by the Vet Board and BAHA - this will again set us back financially at what is already a difficult time when we are still trying to recover from the effects of our current vet having to work under a restricted license for the last 6 months. These restrictions, which were just lifted on October 1st, had kept our current vet from working with animals owned by persons who were not "underprivileged" -- in other words from really being able to make money for Saga as private vet had in the past without restriction -- and were also the direct result of complaints made by the private vet and Mr. Lawrence of "unfair competition" by Saga due to Saga accepting and selling donated drugs and using expired drugs - hmmmmmmmmmm (also quite an interesting coincidence that this new complaint was timed so well?)

The point is, if you decide to hold someone else up to the utmost scrutiny and judgment in the name of "right," especially considering that the scrutinized group is just trying to help the less fortunate, you better be able to withstand the same judgment and scrutiny yourself.

Saga will work from here on out to obtain proper import permits for any donor coming in with supplies for Saga to satisfy the BAHA requirements. If you are interested in bringing donated items for Saga, just contact us at [email protected] and we can coordinate on obtaining the permit for you in advance.

Also, FOTHS stands for "Friends of the Humane Society" - the group was created with the goal to help raise money for Saga HS, especially for capital projects - it is not associated with SPAH or the private vet to my knowledge in any capacity.

Ari Trejo
Saga Humane Society

S
S
My bad - I meant to say FOSP (Friends of San Pedro), which was formed this year - not FOTHS.

Thanks for your response and clarifications, Ari!

Will this crap never stop? Both sides have done things right and both sides have done things wrong. There are no angels in this mix people. Why not focus on the ultimate goal - adequate care of the animals in San Pedro. People are now fortunate enough to have a choice - go to the private vet or go to the humane society vet - donate to Saga or donate to SPAH.

Enough with the name calling, finger pointing and the he said she said crap - both parties are guilty of wrong doings - and both parties are beneficial to the island's animal population.

The amount of energy, time and "messages" sent around about each group could be better spent helping the animals rather than trying to hinder one another!

closing the topic. lots said along these lines before.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 266 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.