Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#39028 - 05/10/01 02:46 AM Any information on the Hotel del Rio?
luvphins Offline
Does anyone have any comments about the Hotel del Rio and how is the beach and water there?

Also, how is the weather on AC in November? Is the hurricane season over?

Thanks for all your help!

#39029 - 05/10/01 06:41 PM Re: Any information on the Hotel del Rio?
AC Bound Offline
Well, we're leaving on Saturday and have our first 4 nights at the Hotel del Rio. Was wanting something small, not so "touristy" and thought the thatched roofs were a nice touch. Will be back on the 22nd and will post a report, if your interested, as it seems that there hasn't been much mention of the Hotel on this board. Curious. Would love to hear SOMETHING about it befor we go, but hey, sometimes you have just have to take a deep breath and dive in.

#39030 - 05/10/01 10:10 PM Re: Any information on the Hotel del Rio?
shaygray Offline
I'm curious about Hotel del Rio, too! If you do a search on the Board, you can see a couple things people mentioned (and a couple questions I posted). Marty (cap'n), for one, likes it. Nothing bad's been said. I'll be on AC from 6/2 - 6/10...Spending all 8 nights at del Rio! Can't beat the price! Even if it falls a little short (which I doubt. Just depends on what you like). I thought the thatched hut thing would be fun, too. I'm definitely an "off the beaten path" person. Talk aout breathing and diving! I'll be looking forward to your report, AC!

#39031 - 05/22/01 04:38 PM Re: Any information on the Hotel del Rio?
AC Bound Offline
In case you're interested I JUST returned from 6 nights at the Del Rio and can't say enough good things about it. It definitely is not the resorty type of place to stay, which is exactly what we were looking for, but it was nice, clean and right on the beach at the more "local" end of the Island. We stayed in the Cabana Chica and could literally sit up in bed in the moning and look out the window to an unobstructed view of the water.
It is defintely more for the self serve type of traveller but it comes with a small refrigerator and coffee maker, which is great for mornings, after the breakfast run to the north branch of the La Popular Bakery(1/2 a block away), for sitting on the porch having a nice cup of joe, a croissant watching the local kids play. Kudos to Brooke, Dan and many thanks to Thomas for everything and for being extremely accomodating to our crazy schedule changes. I would definitely recommend where we stayed to anyone. (Unfortunately, didn't see the inside of the other rooms so can't comment on them but will always give a thumbs up to the Cabana Chica!!!!)
If you need anymore info let me know, we had a blast and met some great people(code name Aurthur- to follow), local and travellers, did some awesome dives and will get some pictures going when I get all 300 million of them downloaded and sorted.
Cheers

#39032 - 05/23/01 03:50 PM Re: Any information on the Hotel del Rio?
shaygray Offline
AC Bound, Thanks SO much for the info on Hotel del Rio. You would think with such low rates there would've been more on the board about it. I was gettin g a little worried. I'm staying there 6/2 - 6/10. We're staying in the Cabana Chica also. Now I'm even more excited! Thanks again! Sharon

#39033 - 05/23/01 09:58 PM Re: Any information on the Hotel del Rio?
AC Bound Offline
Glad it helped. I felt the way you did and was a little apprehensive too. I'm not the hotel type and alot of the place people are raving about are very "hotely" I liked the fact that the Cabana just made you feel more in the island mood. Of course you could get a higher priced version of it at Ramones but how much time are you really spending in the room. And why not spend the money diving or...
Just printed out my picture of the beach and cabana and put it on my computer(much better view than my co-workers)with a big smile! Hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

P.S. As for the beach they have a dock but there is a swimming beach JUST north were most people seemed go to swim. We also went off the dock a couple of hotels down. Very shallow and lots of seagrass off most beaches. Some of the bigger places clear it out but not all. We walked/biked around and swam where it was nice.

[This message has been edited by AC Bound (edited 05-23-2001).]

#39034 - 05/23/01 11:06 PM Re: Any information on the Hotel del Rio?
shaygray Offline
AC, I feel exactly the same way. I would much rather spend my money on fun stuff. My boyfriend wouldn't care if we slept in a tent on the beach, so I know he'll like it, too! Sounds like a little slice of heaven to me! Was there any problem with the heat/humidity in the cabana?

Any chance you can email me that picture? If not, no biggie. I'm at sharon_grajek@exe.com

Thanks a bunch! Sharon

#39035 - 05/24/01 03:36 PM Re: Any information on the Hotel del Rio?
AC Bound Offline
We got lucky the week we were there it was ALWAYS windy at night and never had a problem with the heat/humidity.

Will send the pict. It's a panorama looking from the beach back to the cabana, the Chica on far right(boyfriend sitting on porch :-) Wish I were there now!

#39036 - 05/24/01 05:57 PM Re: Any information on the Hotel del Rio?
ivyjade Offline
This is great to hear - I've got my first night booked at Hotel del Rio (sure can't beat the price) and will hopefuly be able to book some more once I get there (which will be in 3 days! :-))

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 38 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,676 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,079 Topics
462,376 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.