Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 23 24 >
Topic Options
#390284 - 10/19/10 09:46 AM Hurricane Richard
Marty Offline
Posted by: JeffMasters, 1:38 PM GMT on October 19, 2010

Heavy thunderstorm activity has increased and grown more organized this morning over the southwestern Caribbean between Honduras and the Cayman Islands, in association with a tropical disturbance (Invest 99L). The storm is bringing heavy rain to the Cayman Islands; two inches has fallen so far this morning at Savannah on Grand Cayman Island. Recent satellite imagery shows that 99L has some rotation, and the winds on the northeast coast of Honduras at Puerto Lempira have shifted to the west-northwest, implying that 99L may be developing a surface circulation. Wind shear is a moderate 10 - 20 knots, which is low enough to allow some slow development. Water vapor satellite loops reveal that the atmosphere in the Western Caribbean is moist enough to support development, and the waters beneath are plenty warm, at 29°C. The latest SHIPS model forecast predicts that wind shear over the Western Caribbean will mostly remain in the moderate range, 10 - 20 knots, for the remainder of the week. The current north-northwest motion of 99L should continue until Wednesday, when a strong ridge of high pressure is forecast to build in, forcing 99L to the south or west. However, steering currents will be weak Wednesday through Friday, making it difficult to predict where 99L may wander to. The only models that develop 99L are the GFDL and HWRF. The GFDL model predicts that 99L will spend enough time over water to develop into a hurricane, and brings the storm to the coast of Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula on Sunday morning. The HWRF model has 99L making landfall over Honduras late this week, before the storm has a chance to develop into a hurricane. NHC is giving 99L a 40% chance of developing into a tropical depression by Thursday. I believe the odds are higher, near 60%. The Hurricane Hunters are on call to investigate 99L this afternoon.

Figure 1. Morning satellite image of Invest 99L.

#390305 - 10/19/10 12:49 PM Re: 99L a threat to develop [Re: Marty]
James Pearce Offline
Nice models! Looks set to hit either Nicaragua, Cuba, or, er, Spain?

#390310 - 10/19/10 01:49 PM Re: 99L a threat to develop [Re: Marty]
Marty Offline
yeah, really pinning it down aren't they!!!!

#390330 - 10/19/10 05:06 PM Re: 99L a threat to develop [Re: Marty]
ron Offline
You could say that there is weather afoot.

#390344 - 10/19/10 06:55 PM Re: 99L a threat to develop [Re: Marty]
elbert Offline
We need rain. There is dust and the plants look parched, plus I'm still looking at my empty cistern that I cleaned out last time we thought bad weather was coming.
The Dive Shops Daily Blog

#390355 - 10/19/10 08:16 PM Re: 99L a threat to develop [Re: Marty]
Amanda Syme Offline
A little rain would be nice. Preferably without the big winds.

#390356 - 10/19/10 08:25 PM Re: 99L a threat to develop [Re: Marty]
SimonB Offline
Amen to that. It's like driving around in the desert out there. I'm buying facemasks tomorrow if we don't get some rain.

#390360 - 10/19/10 08:57 PM Re: 99L a threat to develop [Re: Marty]
Diane Campbell Offline
Let's hope for RAIN - PLEASE --- we'll take a tiny little wind if we have to. And as we are putting in our wish list - NO big waves. Had them already this year.

#390369 - 10/19/10 11:00 PM Tropical Storm coming?
Decompression Offline
Anyone have any insight to the weather for this weekend. I saw this today.

#390370 - 10/19/10 11:07 PM Re: Tropical Storm coming? [Re: Decompression]
Amanda Syme Offline
waiting to see what happens.... will know more as the hours progress into days.

Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 23 24 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 50 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,635 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,717 Topics
461,257 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.