Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#390502 - 10/21/10 02:25 PM Bad News For SKYPE Fans
Marty Offline
And on the matter of Telemedia - one pressing issue has been the legalization of the Voice Over Internet Protocol, commonly known as VOIP. That's what enables internet users to access web-based phone services such as SKYPE and Vonage to call all over the world for free, or for a fraction of the cost that Telemedia and Smart charge.

Presently those services are blocked in Belize - and many wonder if government will liberalize the use of these VOIP providers - while others worry that if they do, BTL's profits will tumble - making it an unsure investment.

But really it's not government or Telemedia to decide, it's the regulator, the PUC, and at last Friday's press conference to launch the sale of BTL shares, Chairman of the PUC John Avery explained the policy position:

John Avery, Chairman PUC
"The PUC has never banned the use of VOIP. You have 2 voice operators in Belize and both of them currently use VOIP. The thing is our laws are clear; you cannot provide a telecommunication service in Belize unless you have a license to do so, and so I think this concept whenever we speak of VOIP we think about SKYPE or we think about Vonage and these other companies. They are not license in Belize, they don't pay any taxes in Belize and so they are not authorize do provide services in Belize. So I just wanted to clear that up. The current operators, there is no ban on the use of VOIP on them, they can use VOIP to make themselves more efficient or their services less costly that is up to them but the PUC cannot stand by nor any of the operators should stand by and allow unlicensed operators to provide services in Belize using their infrastructure and taking away their revenues."

It was also announced at Friday's press conference that the free doubling of internet bandwidth which was announced at the Prime Minister's Independence Day address will go into effect on November first. It means that for BTL internet users, whatever speed you currently have will be doubled for the same price…

Channel 7

#390525 - 10/21/10 05:17 PM Re: Bad News For SKYPE Fans [Re: Marty]
Loansum-Al K Offline
"The thing is our laws are clear; you cannot provide a telecommunication service in Belize unless you have a license to do so, and so I think this concept whenever we speak of VOIP we think about SKYPE or we think about Vonage and these other companies."

Why not block email providers if they're not "licensed"! Government suppression at best!

#390530 - 10/21/10 06:23 PM Re: Bad News For SKYPE Fans [Re: Marty]
Cayemen Offline
Is there still Inquisition in Belize?
Or are we a Islamic state?

This List here:
Oman, Belize, Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Ethiopia, Jordan, Lebanon and Iran

...is not a Islamic Terror List.

Its the list of country's blocking VOIP and skype.

Belize is the only commonwealth country blocking VOIP.

#390533 - 10/21/10 07:32 PM Re: Bad News For SKYPE Fans [Re: Cayemen]
seashell Offline
I don't understand all of this, as I've never used Skype or Vonnage but a friend of mine living in San Pedro, told me that they had received a call from Canada, and it was placed from a computer and cost the caller pennies for a two hour call.

As for Jordan, I have received calls myself that were placed from Jordan and were from a computer.

#390540 - 10/21/10 08:34 PM Re: Bad News For SKYPE Fans [Re: seashell]
ron Offline
You can call into Belize using Skype or VOIP but hard to call out without some sort of software work around. I've been using Rebtel which is slightly cheaper than Skype. But again that's from outside Belize calling in. Skype works free from computer to computer, a few cents if calling a land line and more if calling a cell. Just google skype and it'll tell you costs. If calling computer to computer you even get to see the other person. My sister uses it to see her grandkids. Saves travel time.

#390552 - 10/21/10 10:07 PM Re: Bad News For SKYPE Fans [Re: Marty]
Short Offline
I really hope that VIOP will be allowed. The government (because they now own BTL) and PUC are holding the local businesses trapped with expensive and poor communications. Suppose they would outlaw the VIOP blocking: Belize businesses would become much more competitive compared to abroad, and it would stimulate the economy tremendously. What country in the world would sabotage their own communication to squeeze more money out of it's population and a choked-to-death economy? Unbelievable!

Originally Posted By: John Avery, Chairman PUC
SKYPE or Vonage... They are not license in Belize, they don't pay any taxes in Belize and so they are not authorize do provide services in Belize

So when you draw the line we should also ban Google, Yahoo, Microsoft Windows, AVG anti virus, Adobe Acrobat, Mozilla Firefox and block all foreign websites because they also don't pay taxes in Belize. Scary that such an unintelligent person who does not realize that internet is global and most likely still believes that the world is flat has made it to chairman for the PUC and actually dictates a policy that devastates Belize's trade and industry.

#390555 - 10/21/10 10:18 PM Re: Bad News For SKYPE Fans [Re: Short]
Loansum-Al K Offline
Maybe a letter writing campaign is in order.......that is if they can read mad

#390562 - 10/21/10 10:51 PM Re: Bad News For SKYPE Fans [Re: Marty]
GwenA Offline
Just got a call in from Australia, from Datallmon. Ron's right, works coming in.
This country tries to nickel and dime to make money. They just don't get it that they are chasing people away that might like to live here, spend money here, and give them an economy.

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 42 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,672 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,021 Topics
462,212 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.