Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#390542 - 10/21/10 08:34 PM Chetumal
joey2angels Offline
Chetumal
The Main bus station in Chetumal is 20 blocks from the town center on Insurgentes at Ninos Heroes. How far is this from...The larger of the first-class stations, CAME, is on Calle 70, between calles 69 and 71?
What I'm looking for is a 1st class bus from Chetuaml to Belize City. Do I go to the main station or to CAME?

Thanks in advance.

#390548 - 10/21/10 09:39 PM Re: Chetumal [Re: joey2angels]
MisterB266 Offline
The Premier express buses (Chetumal to Belize City) are about as close as you're going to get to first class. They depart 3 times per day from the ADO terminal on Insurgentes -- 10:30 am, 1:30 pm and 4:30 pm (these times often change without notice). Note: these times are Belize time; there will be a 1 hour difference when Chetumal is on daylight saving time.

The San Juan express bus also departs from that ADO terminal, but I wouldn't call it first class.

The Regular buses (old school buses) depart from the Nuevo Mercado.

Have a look at my BelizeBus site. There is a map of Chetumal showing the locations of the 2 terminals.
http://belizebus.wordpress.com/

#390613 - 10/22/10 04:08 PM Re: Chetumal [Re: MisterB266]
beliherewecome Offline
MisterB266,

We are traveling to Ambergris Cay via Cancun, taking a bus in Cancun to Corozol, then taking a water taxi to San Pedro. We are spending the night in Corozol the first night. On our way back, we are taking a water taxi back to Chetumel, taking the bus again to Playa del Carmen to catch our flight the next day back to the States.

I have a couple of questions where I am not clear about what to do or where to go:

Which bus should I take from Cancun to Corozol and what are the prices?

Which bus should I take from Chetumal to Playa and what are the prices? And, last but not least,

Do you have any suggestions where to stay in Playa that's reasonable and closer to the airport?

I know it's too much to ask. If you can't answer all these questions, do you know someone who can help me?

Thank you in advance. And, if there is anyone out there who can help, I'll be most appreciative!

Thanks again!

Edited by beliherewecome (10/22/10 04:13 PM)
Edit Reason: To add a few lines

#390628 - 10/22/10 06:18 PM Re: Chetumal [Re: joey2angels]
gecko_girl Offline
Is there a reason why you are overnighting in Corozal? There is now a direct daily ferry from Chetumal to Ambergris Caye.

There is no direct bus from Cancun to Corozal - you have to change in Chetumal as described above.

The buses that run the Cancun - Playa - Chetumal route are ADO.

#390641 - 10/22/10 08:20 PM Re: Chetumal [Re: joey2angels]
MisterB266 Offline
beliherewecome,

Cancun airport is about 15 km south of Cancun City (and a bit further from the Cancun hotel zone). Playa del Carmen is about 50 km south of the airport.

I don't think you can get a bus from the airport direct to Chetumal, so you either have to go north to the Cancun bus terminal or head south to the Playa bus terminal. There are pros & cons of each option and a lot might depend on your time of arrival. There are buses heading north to Cancun, and an ADO Riviera airport shuttle bus that goes to Playa.

If you have to stay overnight near the airport, you might prefer Playa. Be aware that the bus from Playa to Chetumal departs from a different terminal (Alterna) than the terminal at which the airport bus arrives. However, the airport shuttle bus sometimes stops at the Alterna terminal.

In any case, in Mexico, the ADO express buses are excellent. In my BelizeBus site, I have written a detailed summary of the bus trip from Playa to Chetumal. All buses terminate at Chetumal and you have to change to a Belizean bus to continue to Belize. In the BelizeBus site, there is a link to the ticketbus site where you will find all the ADO schedules & fares.

The BelizeBus site shows some options for getting to Corozal. The Premier express buses that depart from the ADO terminal are the best buses, but there are only 3 per day. The other buses depart from the Nuevo Mercado about 1 km from the ADO terminal.

Another option is a transfer service. See BelizeBus for contact details.

If you don't need to stay in Corozal for any other reason, I would suggest that you get the water taxi from Chetumal to Ambergris Caye. If you arrive in Chetumal too late, then stay a night in Chetumal -- you might like it better than Corozal. Details of the water taxis are on BelizeBus.

From Chetumal, just go to the ADO bus terminal and get the next bus to Playa. They depart about every 2 hours and take about 4.5 hours. Also note that there is (or at least there was) an express bus from Chetumal direct to the Cancun airport -- departs around midnight -- check the ticketbus site for schedule.

I don't have any hotel recommendations for Playa, but to get to the airport, just use the airport shuttle bus -- they depart about every hour. Buy your ticket a day before you depart Playa.

#390655 - 10/22/10 10:11 PM Re: Chetumal [Re: joey2angels]
shuffles Offline
If you decide to stay in Playa, there is a really nice, clean, reasonably priced hotel just off the strip, called "Luna Blue". The owners are Cheri and Tony and have been to San Pedro several times, and we have stayed in Playa with them.

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (SFJeff), 48 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,670 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,006 Topics
462,170 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.