Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
JonRote Offline OP
OP Offline
When I live in Belize I would like to own a dog. Are there reputable breeders/pet stores in Belize or should I get one in the States and bring it with me? Thanks.

That depends on what type of dog you want. You have some excellent German Sheperd breeders in Belize. I prefer not to take a dog from abroad because the Belize climate and nature is harsh on dogs. Foreign dogs are much more susceptible to diseases than local dogs. I like the Mayan mix breed we have in Belize; it is comparable to a Malinois, but smaller. They need attention, education and a lot of discipline but are good hearted and always ready for the master. Ask at Saga Humane Society; they are happy to help you and you help the local dogs here at the same time. I have seen so many people drag foreign bred dogs around that got sick and slowly sometimes over the course of months died, so much misery and sadness; don't go there.

Live and let live
JonRote Offline OP
OP Offline
That's what I figured, best to not drag a foreign dog over as well as to help out locally. I'm a fan of compact, muscular dogs like a pit bull or boxer type but am a German shepherd fan as well. I'm open to anything that can't fit in a purse (no offense to tiny dog owners). Good to know there are reputable places as well as a Humane Society. Thanks for the help.

Although I personally am not a fan of them, there are a lot of pit bull mixes around. If that is your preference, I would try to find a mix of pit bull with Mayan to tackle health problems.

Live and let live
Why in the world would you "buy" a dog when there are so many deserving dogs available at SAGA? These dogs are not purbred, but what difference would that make. Why do you WANT a dog? If it's for protection, pick a big burly one. If it's to love and adore, any of them will do. Please, adopt or rescue one before you go to a breeder and buy one. You won't be sorry.

At what age is it determined I am old enough to know better?
S
S
There are pointer mixes (black/ white spots) around also - best to have short hair breeds in this climate. Poor German Shepherds (and many other longer hair breeds) get awfully hot and need regular brushing.

PSA: Mixed breeds rock! And so many adorable animals at SAGA to choose from. Why on earth breed a dog for pups when these precious babies need homes? Just take the time to educate yourself on the dog's personality (hyper or laid back, friendly or a bit shy, etc) to best fit into your household.

There was an interesting program on National Geographic about "Designed Dogs." That was the purposeful mixing of two breeds to get the best of each one. It has been very sucessful.

The Belize dogs are way ahead of the curve. What we call "Pot Lickers" here have standardized into some pretty nice dogs. My Pepe, Ed Walter's Bianca, and Fred's Coco are good examples of what I call a Golden Lab shrunk to half size. You see their cousins all over the island.

There's the a mix of Rotweiler and German Shephard - Like Steve's Coco - that are also common. These are big dogs.

By the way Ed's Bianca was accidently placed at SAGA while Ed was off the island and a couple adopted her and took her back to the states. That's the only way to go!

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
We have seen great success when the dog picks the owner....Once one follows you home and you feed him the loyalty is 10-fold. We have friends who got a beautiful Pit-bull/Boxer mix and she is the most loyal, friendly, protective sweetheart on the island. She is good to the tourists, visitors and her owners (she even protects my little chihuahua from the big dogs....IMHO let the dog pick you.....

My friends call me Judyann

www.blackorchidrestaurant.com
Local dogs are low maintenance and seem to have less health problems because they have adapted to this environment. Short hair and such are good traits, Crock awareness is good also.
I vote local dog.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
Croc knowledge is very important. When Pepe and Grita were puppies they would get in the lagoon (the one that is now filled by Reef Village). One day they came home muddy and Grita had a round hole above her upper lip. Upon examination I found a matching hole in her chin just below the lower gum line.

Neither of them ever went in the lagoon again.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 297 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.